• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400mm f5.6 with 1.4x tc (1 Viewer)

Re Tim's point above :I have always assumed (correct me if I am wrong) That if you take a reporting tc and stick a piece of tape over the three pins then you have a non reporting tc that should act the same as a cheap non reporting one (only difference being that the taped one has better glass).

If this is so then 30 seconds of your time to stick a piece of cello tape on the pins is very worthwhile if you are going to get a better quality end result.

Well that's what I've assumed too Roy. I'm wondering whether it's perhaps the extra bit of magnification that is making Ian prefer the 1.5x.

I've posted a query on the Sigma area about TCs as well because I've also been wondering whether there are other factors about TCs and particular combinations with lenses and bodies that make some preferable to others.

Ian, I wonder if you could clarify a couple of points relating to the Kenko 1.5x MC? I assume it's non-reporting hence non need to tape pins. Can you say why you prefer it to the other options?

I have the Kenko 1.5x and the Canon 1.4x and I borrowed a Kenko 1.4x pro to give it a try.

The Kenko 1.5x is an auto teleconverter so autofocus works but non-reporting for the aperture so it works the same as taping the three pins in other converters.

I found on the 20D at least (I haven't compared them on the 40D) that it worked faster than the others and it was easier to lock focus and less hunting. It's also more compact being narrower than some extension tubes that I use. The Canon converter especially it quite chunky. Also I prefer the slightly greater magnification giving a true 600mm result with the 400mm lens. The others are great converters for image quality as well and may well work better on the 40D.

Roy is right though that different camera bodies react differently with a given converter.

I must admit that if starting over I'd be choosing between the two Kenko converters. The 1.5x is as sharp at the other converters but in low light it can have a slight pinkish cast - though I dare say the others may do as well.

I have the Kenko 1.5x and the Canon 1.4x and I borrowed a Kenko 1.4x pro to give it a try.

The Kenko 1.5x is an auto teleconverter so autofocus works but non-reporting for the aperture so it works the same as taping the three pins in other converters.

I found on the 20D at least (I haven't compared them on the 40D) that it worked faster than the others and it was easier to lock focus and less hunting. It's also more compact being narrower than some extension tubes that I use. The Canon converter especially it quite chunky. Also I prefer the slightly greater magnification giving a true 600mm result with the 400mm lens. The others are great converters for image quality as well and may well work better on the 40D.

Roy is right though that different camera bodies react differently with a given converter.

I must admit that if starting over I'd be choosing between the two Kenko converters. The 1.5x is as sharp at the other converters but in low light it can have a slight pinkish cast - though I dare say the others may do as well.

i have a jessops 1.5 tc and was wondering if this is the same as the kenko 1.5 tc,also i am looking at upgrading my glass for the canon 100-400 and want to know if my jessops tc would work ok with this lense,i currently use it with my canon 70-300 is on a 40d and although it hunts abit and is mostly slow auto focus it works quite well.

robby:t:

Last edited:
i have a jessops 1.5 tc and was wondering if this is the same as the kenko 1.5 tc,also i am looking at upgrading my glass for the canon 100-400 and want to know if my jessops tc would work ok with this lense,i currently use it with my canon 70-300 is on a 40d and although it hunts abit and is mostly slow auto focus it works quite well.

robby:t:

A teleconverter will work with the 100-400mm but results are a little on the soft side and it does hunt a lot. I seldom use one with the 100-400mm for this reason.

I have the Kenko 1.4x and found it quite good when used with my 100-400 and 400d. I have however just traded up to the 40d and this combo is not good at all. The lens hunts badly even in good light and I have tried different AF points. Slightly better on auto AF but then its a bit of a lottery which AF point the camera chooses. I think I will either MF or do without the tc for the 100-400.

Thanks for your helpful reply Ian. :t:

The Tamron, non reporting 1.4x teleconverter works superbly. Autofocus is fast and the quality seems to me, surprisingly, excellent. Recommended.

Mind you I use a Kenko 1.5 MC teleconverter which is non-reporting which is auto but doesn't need pins taping. I prefer it over my Canon 1.4x.

Is this the correct, updated and complete description of this TC?

Kenko Teleplus DG 1.5X MC Teleconverter

Thanks,

Max

Mind you I use a Kenko 1.5 MC teleconverter which is non-reporting which is auto but doesn't need pins taping. I prefer it over my Canon 1.4x.
Interesting comment Ian. Do you prefer it because:
a) More Reach
b) Hunts less than a taped Canon
c) Better IQ

Is this the correct, updated and complete description of this TC?

Kenko Teleplus DG 1.5X MC Teleconverter

Thanks,

Max

Yep! That's it in all it's glory. Different places describe it differently but it's the only Kenko 1.5x teleconverter.

Interesting comment Ian. Do you prefer it because:
a) More Reach
b) Hunts less than a taped Canon
c) Better IQ

That about sums it up. It's the slight extra reach I prefer and the fact that it seems to work better than taped converters. With the 40D it doesn't seem to matter whether it's the centre focus point of one of the others which seems to be an issue with the other converters.

IQ is certainly equal to the Canon for sharpness. It does have a slight magenta cast in certain lighting but in most cases it's hardly noticeable.

The attached photo was taken with the 400mm f5,6 and this converter - resized from full frame and filtered for noise. Taken hand held but steadied against the double glazed window it was taken through.

Attachments

• IMG_5011ao.JPG
    IMG_5011ao.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 521
This whole thing about taped converters is a minefield. On the 30D a taped Kenko Pro 1.4 works better than a Taped Canon 1.4 and yet on the 40D it is the other way around with the Canon locking on better than the Kenko (although no where near as effective as the 30D).
I already have 3 converters (Canon 1.4, Kenko Pro 1.4 and Teleplus MC7 2x) and from what Ian is saying I could be adding a 4th :-O:-O:-O

If you get one Roy and you also find the centre focus point works properly on the 40D with this TC and the 400mm f5.6, it could remove an obstacle to other people getting a 40D.

If you get one Roy and you also find the centre focus point works properly on the 40D with this TC and the 400mm f5.6, it could remove an obstacle to other people getting a 40D.
Tim, I have been out this afternoon with the 40D, 400 5.6 , taped Canon tc on a monopod and it was not too bad with the centre point only. The light was brilliant and I was shooting on ISO 800. I found that if I manually focused near enough it would lock-on fairly well in most situations. A few times with little brown-un's in a bush I had to switch to manual focus.

Hope you don't mind me re-erecting an old thread but I ordered a 1.4 teleconverter just before Christmas from Hong Kong and I'm still waiting

Tim, I have been out this afternoon with the 40D, 400 5.6 , taped Canon tc on a monopod and it was not too bad with the centre point only. The light was brilliant and I was shooting on ISO 800. I found that if I manually focused near enough it would lock-on fairly well in most situations. A few times with little brown-un's in a bush I had to switch to manual focus.

I'm here, eagerly waiting for someone lifting the veil of truth on the myth of centre focus point ... :smoke:

I'm here, eagerly waiting for someone lifting the veil of truth on the myth of centre focus point ... :smoke:
Don't get me wrong Max - it is still no where near as good as the 30D when using a taped tc. I still had to give it a helping hand by manually getting the focus almost there before AF took over.

With the 40D it doesn't seem to matter whether it's the centre focus point of one of the others which seems to be an issue with the other converters.

You made an interesting point here Ian - to me at least ... does that mean that its focus performance is equally good with any focus point or that is rather... ehm .. crappy? ;)
Cheers,
Max

You made an interesting point here Ian - to me at least ... does that mean that its focus performance is equally good with any focus point or that is rather... ehm .. crappy? ;)
Cheers,
Max

Lol! I'm quite happy with the sharpness of the converter it's almost as sharp as the lens alone. Autofocus works well provided the subject has decent contrast, though I've noticed on duller days and at dusk it does struggle to lock focus.

I never used the 30D so it's difficult to compare, but the converter seems slightly better to focus on the 40D than it was on the 20D.

Cheers,
Max
The thing is that Ian is using a non reporting Kenko 1.5 tc I believe, which seems to work a lot better than a taped tc.
I had a quick play with someones 400 f5.6 and the kenko 1.5 a couple of weeks ago (on a 400D body) and the AF performance was excellent, even plenty good enough for birds in flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back