• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filters? (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hello

I was just wondering do people here with Slrs put a filter on their lens?
(The clear one that protects the glass, not those effects ones I mean.)

Thanks
Pete.

Always have on my SLRs - but can't on my Fuji S602 as I don't like the necessary extra adapter.

There is no reason not to do so if it is high quality - far cheaper to replace a scratched UV / haze filter than a lens is my reckoning.

scampo said:
There is no reason not to do so if it is high quality - far cheaper to replace a scratched UV / haze filter than a lens is my reckoning.

Is there any loss of image quality with a filter attached?

As long as a filter is of high quality and is kept clean, then there should be no loss of quality. In some condition a Skylight/UV type filter should help the image on the film by reducing the amount of Ultra Violet light passing through the lens - especially on bright days or at altitude. Your eyes won't be aware of the UV but the film will record the effects.

AndyC

None at all - I always use Hoya filters because in tests they were always rated very highly. One member a while back did find a degradation in sharpness when digiscoping with a Jessop's filter on his scope - but this would surely be an exception through a faulty filter. Maybe best to stick with well-known brands.

Not sure if it's the case with all Sigma lenses, but the one I bought today has a built-in protective 'filter', you can't put a seperate one in front of it (effects filters drop-in further down the lens body).

Not sure if this 'built-in' protection is a great idea...I expect you'd have to send it back to get it replaced and I wouldn't be happy if the cost was too much.

Thanks,
I think I might go for a Hoya filter, just for the pure fact that it will stop me accidentally scratching the main glass.
Is the "normal" one called "uv protection filter"?
ta
Pete.

Hoya sell filters called 'skylight' and 'uv'. As far as I am aware (and I stand to be corrected) they both do much the same job, but the 'uv' will be slightly stronger - the filter may have a very faint 'straw' coloured tinge to it - but I haven't bought any new filters in a while. Other makes of may be labelled '1A' or '1B', but are basiclly the same.

Hope this helps.

AndyC

Thanks Andy, Ive just checked and this looks like a prime candidate
HOYA SUPER HMC PRO-1 UV FILTER
99.7% light allowed thru or something...
sounds impressive.
:)

Hoya are probably the best known 'quality' filters, but they don't come cheap. However, in my experince they are worth the cost. I've found cheaper ones tend to be a bit on the 'nasty' side.

AndyC

peteh said:
Hello

I was just wondering do people here with Slrs put a filter on their lens?
(The clear one that protects the glass, not those effects ones I mean.)

Thanks
Pete.

There are no 'clear' filters (as far as I am aware).

1A and 1B will both add amounts of straw colouration. they will also make your view more prone to flare and other distortion.

SLR users add filters to manipulate the colours etc. stored on film.

If your lens/scope is prone/likely to suffer from damage, then you may be better off buying a lens hood. It should cut down on unwanted effects if it is of a decent design (and costs a lot less!).

Andy.

AndyC said:
Hoya are probably the best known 'quality' filters, but they don't come cheap. However, in my experince they are worth the cost. I've found cheaper ones tend to be a bit on the 'nasty' side.
AndyC

I would say that Hoya were 'mid-range', quality would probably start with camera/scope manufacturers.

Your mileage may vary; try before you buy!

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back