• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory FL binoculars (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright said:
I tested out the three new Zeiss FL binos last week and my view of them is close to that of Gorank... the 7x42 was spectacular imho, f.o.v. amazing. The CA levels on the 3 binos were less than any other binos I've used (tested outdoors in sunny conditions), way better than my current Swaro 10x42 EL's. Close focus was impressive, all managing under 2m....not many binos allow me to focus on my shoes!
They felt better in my hands than the Victories, the finish being harder and less prone to attracting fluff. The ribbing on the body allowing a good grip of the bino.

Andy,

Thanks for the insights. Were the examples you tested still pre-production units?

Tony

tlb said:
Andy,

Thanks for the insights. Were the examples you tested still pre-production units?

Tony
Yes they were pre-production but I think optically they were the finished item, it was only the eyecups that were temporary on these binos. I think some spectacle wearers will appreciate the new design of the eyecups...having 4 or so stop positions instead of the usual all the way out or all the way in design.
Regards,
Andy

The FLs 'sound' almost too good to be true. My only concern is the main body construction material - glass reinforced polycarbonate - how does this compare with alloys or magnesium in terms of durability?

zurtfox said:
The FLs 'sound' almost too good to be true. My only concern is the main body construction material - glass reinforced polycarbonate - how does this compare with alloys or magnesium in terms of durability?

I had a look at a pair of Zeiss Conquest on Saturday. Okay they are not the forthcoming Victory FL, but I found the body to be thoroughly disappointing, with cheap and nasty eyecups. I sincerely hope the Victory FL are substantially better.

I did a translation and it's pretty clear that this guy is very impressed, seemingly rating these binos above the competition in almost all areas.

gorank said:
try babelfish at www.altavista.com to translate the german link..

it helps a bit.. maybe... FL is translated as "flat steel bar"...=)

Well, the essence is in that brief paragraph in the center of the first contribution.

> means better than
Bildschärfe = sharpness
Kontrast = contrast
Bildhelligkeit = brightness
Farbtreue = trueness of colours
Freiheit von Farbsäumen = absence of CA
Reflexfreiheit = absence of glare
Randschärfe = edge sharpness
Gewicht = weight

Hope this helps a bit more.

Thank you very, very much!

:clap:
gorank said:
and more material in english:
http://www.iwa.info/main/dg1xb0w4/d...db.cmspage=dg257w9p&module=exhibitordatabase2
I know this is very late, but I have to say THANK YOU!
I just began reading this thread concerning the Zeiss FL and I was really wondering as I went to all those previous USLs , 'Are there any in english?'
Thanks again!
marcus

who will be the first posting something like: "I've just got my Zeiss FL:s today....and they look...."

looking forward to the first real review...

=)

Last edited:
gorank said:
who will be the first posting something like: "I've just got my Zeiss FL:s today....and they look...."

looking forward to the first real review...

=)
I've been wondering the same thing.

I e-mailed eagleoptics.com, according to them: "The only update for arrival that we have been given is "summer"."

gorank said:
I e-mailed eagleoptics.com, according to them: "The only update for arrival that we have been given is "summer"."
I talked to Zeiss and they will be available in the USA before the end of June, And Steve Ingram wrote me that they were expecting some any day. When I placed my order at Eagle optics the sales person incorrectly informed me the new FLs came without lens caps, Steve Ingram wrote they come with lens covers. I beleve Steve!

Last edited:
Judging from tonights tv 'Britain Goes Wild', Simon King would be able to give us a review of the FL's ... certainly looked like a pair on the bonnet of his 4WD along with a 85mm Diascope.

henry link said:
I phoned Zeiss-USA yesterday. They now say Victory FL's will be available in August or September.

I emailed Zeiss the same day you posted and they responded Late June and in the stores in July. Sorry to say but I suspect your info may prove more correct.

Mike

michaelboustead said:
I emailed Zeiss the same day you posted and they responded Late June and in the stores in July. Sorry to say but I suspect your info may prove more correct.

Mike

Today the voice on the phone at Zeiss-USA said they expected the FL's by the end of June and in the stores in July. My palms are getting itchy and my wallet already looks thinner. Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back