• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ordered a pair of 7/12 switch power GRs (1 Viewer)

Passive

I decided to order a pair of switch power binoculars. Could not find any around to try at a store which is unfortunate. I have been intrigued for a while with these and the Leica Duovids. I'll write an update once they arrive.

I had a chance to give them a pretty good look at the last NW Sportsman's show in Portland. They seem like a real decent binocular. They look like an extended length Katmai. The view was clear, crisp and sharp. The power switch seemed easy enough to use and stout enough to be reliable. I thought the image was better at 12x than I was expecting and easier to hold steady than I thought it would be for the small size of the binocular.

It is on my want to try list, but will be awhile before I get there. Let us know what you think of them.

Switch Powers are here!

The Golden Ring 7/12 switch power binoculars arrived today. I am impressed with the accessories that came with them. The binocular case is large and of good quality. The shoulder strap is excellent and there is a shoulder/back harness as well. The binoculars come with a different set of eye cups which can be used to shield light from the side. I have these on the binoculars right now. The binoculars themselves are just the right weight and feel solid. The color is a wet dirt brown and makes the glasses very inconspicuous. When slung around the neck and under the arm, the binoculars tuck neatly to the body and stay put. These will be excellent for hiking. The switching mechanism seems to adjust the focus and at the same time move a magnifying lens in front of the ocular to move from 7X to 12X. They are, therefore, either 7X or 12X with nothing in between. I do not know when this particular pair was produced but I would guess it was probably one of the earliest glasses produced by Leupold as it still has a sticker on the focus mechanism. Now to the meat . . . The apparent field of view at both 7X and 12X is modest but not as wide as the Swarovski 7X42 SLC that I used to own. The optics are also not nearly as good as Swarovski set either. There is a lot of chromatic color fringing especially at 12X. I have looked through some Katmai binoculars and these are better. A set of 6X30 Yosemites are comparable (yes I know that most people prefer the Katmai to the Yosemites but I differ) to the Switch at 7X. The Yosemites are roughly $100 and these were a lot more which makes one question if a roof prism binocular having the ability to switch to 12X is worth the difference in cost. I'll get to that later. Binoculars are all about compromises and this set of Switch powers is full of them. The switch mechanism works really quite well. It is the first set of binoculars (probably ever) that allows one to see what they are missing at 7X and at the same time see what is missing at 12X. It answers the fundamental question of whether a hand held 12X binocular can see more detail than the same at 7X. Yes. It is very impressive. To be able to hold on target while switching is something no other mid to high quality binocular set can do. Onto the focus. Here is really where this set fails to a certain extent. At 7X magnification I see no issues but at 12X, there is slop in the focus wheel that is unequal between the left and right tubes. I am not sure if I would have noticed if I weren't looking for everything that wasn't quite perfect, but no doubt, it is there. It is about one diopter click off ( you know how that feels right?). This only occurs when the focus is spun in the counter-clockwise direction. When it is spun in the clockwise direction, the focus is perfect. I don't know if this is just because the glasses are brand new or not. Not a huge issue as long as you know it is there but a little bit disappointing none-the-less. That is about all I have really . . . now back to the question . . . is it worth it? My answer is a resounding yes. The ability to scan at 7X, switch to 12X (ignore the color fringing), follow at 12X, then back to 7X is something that really must be experienced. Are they the perfect birding binoculars? Nope (that would be the Swarovski 7X42 SLCs if you are willing to carry them!) . . . How about best butterfly glass? Nope . . . Sports? Nope . . . but they are probably the best all-around binoculars built to date and certainly the best for my purposes. Over the weeks and months, I'll have to post from time-to-time and see if my opinions change either positively or negatively. $300 for a 7X roof binocular (ala Katmai). $350 for a 12X roof binocular. $200 to not have to carry both of them. $50 because I feel good and right carrying them. $50 for the Leupold no fault lifetime for anyone warranty. -$100 for the focus defect.

Thanks for the review. It's too bad Leupold couldn't have made the optics as good as their other high end binos, but I think they are quite intriguing nevertheless. Probably something each person needs to experience firsthand to make a decision.

It is the first set of binoculars (probably ever) that allows one to see what they are missing at 7X and at the same time see what is missing at 12X. It answers the fundamental question of whether a hand held 12X binocular can see more detail than the same at 7X. Yes. It is very impressive. To be able to hold on target while switching is something no other mid to high quality binocular set can do.

but they are probably the best all-around binoculars built to date and certainly the best for my purposes.

Leica also has the similar dual power duovids. But they are quite heavy and very expensive--the most expensive regular production standard use binos out there, I believe. But I hope more manufacturers experiment with this type of innovative design rather than just hyping the latest coating.

Best,
Jim

Conversation with Leupold Service

I just got off the phone with Leupold service and they stated that the focus issue, of which I previously mentioned, is abnormal and should be sent in for service which is a bit surprising. I will do this and report on the results. Perhaps the true optics are better than what I reported due to this issue alone. When I get them back, I will have to do an A to B comparison with other glasses directly.

Thanks for the review.

That sounds like backlash in the focus mechanism (OK in one direction and sligh hesitation in the other ... usually from a mechanism with a little slop in it).

I rather suspected they would not be as good as other bins (which seems a little odd) after all the main "trick" here is to get switchable but parfocal eyepieces at two different focal lengths by moving a single optical element (and making sure that element doesn't shake in either position).

Perhaps now they have got that technology to work (it did take a long time) they might try designing a bin worthy of the total price (ED/HD glass and a design that makes good use of it).

Ah, one can dream. It 7x and 12x in one bins is a great idea!

A bit of searching and I've found the patent (application) for the Switchview, I beleive.

"Two-stage variable power binoculars"
US Pat. 11197654
Filed Aug 4, 2005

http://www.google.com/patents?id=u4qaAAAAEBAJ&dq=11197654

It's not owned by (or assigned to) Leupold but by a Japanaese inventor, Fumio Shimizu of Kamiina-gun (which curiously is rather out in the boonies in Nagano). I suspect he must be retired as he has some binocular patents from the early 1980s too with those assigned to Light Koki Co., Ltd. which was in Suwa, Nagano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamiina_District,_Nagano

Worth a look for the method: the switchpower mechanism both moves a lens in place and changes the focus (i.e. the position of the focusing meniscus lens which looks like a negative lens to me ... thicker at the edges) at the same time; and the switch focus lens is in the Schmidt-Pechan prism (in the air gap between the semipentaprism and the roof prism).

The particular binocular example design he shows has a triplet objective (3 elements two groups) and a triplet (3 elements two groups) ocular. I wonder if that matches the current Switchview design.

The mechanical drawing in the patent has the low magnification setting on the left and the high magnification setting on the right.

Worth a read (and trying to follow the screw A fits in slot B description).

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I concur that the glass you have has a focus issue and needs to be sent back. The 7/12x I looked at seemed to me to be much better than what you described. In the one I looked at, the focus had no issues. Focused at 7x and switched to 12x, nothing was needed. I thought the 7x image was at least as good as my Swift 7x36 Eaglet, and nearly indistinguishable from the Gold Ring and Northfork binoculars. The main thing I noticed about the 12x image was that it was noticeably fuzzier around the edge of the field than @7x, but the center was much better than I anticipated it would be @12x32. What also surprised me was how easy the little binocular seemed to be to hold steady at 12x. For my anticipated use which would be at least 75% @7x, I thought they might be just the ticket, especially when you needed to minimize the amount of stuff you had to haul around.

I was also impressed by how the switch function worked. It seemed to be just the right amount of tension to hold the assembly in place, an easily moved mechanism and an equally secure seat at the other power setting. I figured it would require a little more effort than it does.

This is a new product from Leupold, only recently being seemingly readily available, even though it has been announced for quite awhile. Leica also has the similar concept Duovid binocular (which I now notice Jim already mentioned), which is both larger and much more expensive. The optics likely have an advantage too. If memory serves me correctly, the image on the Duovid remains in place as you move between the power settings, getting larger or smaller depending on which direction you are going. The Switch power does not. Hit the switch button and the view goes psychedelic until the mechanism seats in place at the alternate power.

The key it seems is if, when, and how often service on the switch power is needed. At any rate thanks again for the review.

Last edited:
This is the second time that I have been impressed by Leupold. This first time, I gave my father a set of compact binoculars and he wanted them modified. He brought them into a shop which subsequently shattered the objective lens on one side. He gave them back to me and I sent them in to Leupold with a note attached explaining the situation. They repaired them free of charge. My daughter still uses them today.

This time, they sent me a brand new set of binoculars in exchange for the switch powers that I originally had. Their turn around time, including my shipping to them and them shipping to me was less than one week. This is pretty amazing. I am also glad that they sent me a new set so I could see if there really was a problem with the first and not an engineering flaw. This new set has no problem and the view is fantastic. No focus lag what-so-ever between the left and right barrels. Much better than the other set even when I thought I had it perfectly focused. This new set is of a more recent manufacture considering the serial number. The view from these are far superior to the Katmai and Yosemite and approach the Swarovski 7X42s in just about every respect except field of view. With the 12X switch, they surpass them as my HG birding binocular set. I will resurrect this thread, from time-to-time, to let you know if my assessment changes or my fascination with switching powers changes.

l'd love to see a full (second!) review of the working Switch Power bins after you've been using them for a week or so.

BTW, where did you buy them from originally?

Passive,

Please keep the reports coming-I am interested in these.
(I am more interested in a Leica Duovid but they are priced out of reach, these are much more realistic)

edj

question to more experienced birders:

My primary birding binocular is a SW8.5x42EL
with backup Swift Audubon 8.5x44 (very close in size and mag).
It seems like the 7-12x32 would be a good companion to the Sws as
- smaller, lighter optics with lower and higher mag-right?
I realize that I can get better optics for the money in a 32mm binocular,
but the flexability in magifications seems like a reasonable tradeoff.

edj

question to more experienced birders:

My primary birding binocular is a SW8.5x42EL
with backup Swift Audubon 8.5x44 (very close in size and mag).
It seems like the 7-12x32 would be a good companion to the Sws as
- smaller, lighter optics with lower and higher mag-right?
I realize that I can get better optics for the money in a 32mm binocular,
but the flexability in magifications seems like a reasonable tradeoff.

edj

I think that's a good argument. But switch powers (as well as 12x binos) are really something very few birders have experience with, so anyone trying them now is something of a pioneer. I think we are on the cutting edge here, helping to determine whether this technology will become a serious competitor to single mag binos or just a novelty.

Jim

Update: To J Moore - HG (Holy Grail). To Kevin Purcell - Originally purchased at that big auction website which will probably account for the focus issue. So here is the update . . . I used the binoculars a lot this last week or so. They are very good and I have no reservations in recommending them. So again, comparing them to the Swarovski 7X42 SLC . . . the chromatic aberration is still there, both at 7X and more pronounced at 12X. The center of the field focuses before the outside edges by a small fraction at both magnifications. This is not the case with Swarovskis. The switch powers are much lighter and much more portable. They can be easily handled with one hand including switching between magnifications. My biggest complaints are 1.) the viewing angle is small. When the ocular standoffs are set at there furthest extension, it does feel a little like a tunnel. With the standoffs are all the way forward, the sensation switches to a much more open feel but it is harder to hold steady because I can no longer brace the binoculars against my head. 2.) The exit pupils are very small at 12X (as can be expected) which makes it a little difficult to line up with your eyes. Of the issues that I mentioned, Chromatic aberration, full field in focus, angle of view, and exit pupil size, only exit pupil size cannot be improved upon by either better optical glass and or design improvements/more elements.

So in the final evaluation, which would I prefer? The Swarovskis for around the house and when the trip is only about glassing. The Swaros ultra natural view definitely give the best view in birding to my eyes. Also the 6 mm exit pupils are a joy to use. Alignment with one's eyes is never an issue. The Leupold switch powers have some excellent qualities. Among these are ultra light, ultra portable, excellent switch magnification that allows the switch even when following a bird in flight, and the ideal 7X/12X setup in a binocular. These trade-offs are worth it in most cases. These I will use more often and in more scenarios than the Swarovskis.

Passive,

So, to summarize, you don't seem to find the difference in size between the two bins to be significant enough to offset the difference in optical performance?

I have owned the 7x42 SLCs and thought them to be quite good optically. If the switch power Leupolds aren't competitive then I would probably dismiss them as well despite the difference in size.

FrankD,

I agree with your summary of my thoughts that if the Leupolds were a fixed 7X glass, the difference in size is not worth the trade-off of size versus optical performance. The Swarovskis are superb and worth the weight and size. However, that being said, having a very good 7X with a good 12X in a 32 mm binocular seems to be a better overall package even if the optical performance is off of the Swarovski's mark. I seem to be using the 12X power far more than I ever expected to pull in those last details.

Do you not find problems with the 12x in such a small package. I would think either the small exit pupil and/or the light weight of the binocular to make the use of the 12x less than ideal.

FrankD,
No I do not find too many problems while using the 12X. The binoculars are light weight but fit in the hand very nicely. They are actually quite easy to steady. I actually find myself using them with one hand including when switching powers. The relatively small exit pupils must be aligned with your eyes as I previously mentioned but are not a bother.

Leupold Switch Power 7/12x32

I’ve had these for awhile now and time to post an evaluation. It will become evident that Passive and I see most things the same, while on others we will differ somewhat.

I had been interested in these ever since they first appeared. What appealed to me was the availability of a small binocular that would work for most uses at the 7x setting and have the added utility of having the ability for occasional use at 12x. I finally got a chance to at least look at them at the Leupold booth at the Pacific Northwest Sportsman’s Show. They seemed like they might actually be as advertised. A couple of weeks ago I won these at the auction site, NIB at a too good to pass up price.

First off they look like a Katmai on steroids. They are not at all big or bulky, but have a beefier look than the Katmai. They also bear a quite similar appearance to my Swift 7x36 Eaglet.

These come with a first rate assortment of accessories. The case is a heavy duty nylon affair that is almost big enough for the binocular and a bird guide. They come with both a nice wide stretchy and quite comfortable neck strap and a rather typical all elastic harness. They have interchangeable eyecups, with on of the eyecups being angled to block side light. Normally I prefer this sort of arrangement, but not here. The angle of the eyecup begins too low on the inside and the angle is too shallow for the eye cup to really be good a blocking side light. I am using the standard eyecup.

This is a quite good 7x compact binocular. The 374’ fov will put some off, but any binocular with a single magnification is a collection of compromises anyway, let alone adding the switch power feature. So, I will gladly take the 7.2* fov. The image is bright, sharp and quite pleasant with a mostly neutral bias. The apparent depth of field does not seem to be negatively affected by the switch power feature. In that regard it is on par with the Eaglet. While Passive noted CA in his, these seem to control CA very well.

The switch function moves a lens either into or out of the optical path to change the image. The switch mechanism is secured by spring tension. Looking through the objective during the switch you can see a square plate with a lens moving back and forth with the switch lever. As noted, this is either 7x or 12x, nothing in the middle.
The image is likely the best of any of the 7x30 something binoculars currently on the market. There are not too many of those, but I have had a Swift 7x36 Eaglet for quite awhile, and I really thought it would be good enough to beat the Leupold. It does not do that. The Leupold is a bit better. Not much better, but it is a bit sharper and the contrast is a bit better than the Swift. The 6.5x32 Vortex Fury is a bit further behind in producing a crisp image, but the Fury fov certainly has an appeal. These might not be quite alpha class, but very close. I have both the Bushnell 7x36 EX and a Vortex Diamondback 7x36 ordered, and I will post a more thorough 6.5-7x compact comparison when I get them.

The real surprise to me came at 12x. The image is not as good as the 7x version, but I was surprised at how good it is for a 12x32. There are two shortcomings with 12x. The first is that the depth of field is quite shallow. However, that is just about to be expected anyway. The second is that there is more edge softness/distortion at 12x than 7x. These will be a distraction if you think of this as a primary 12x binocular. If you think of these as a more than decent 7x that you can pop up to 12x, then the 12x image seems fine. The high magnification is really at its best close in. Find your target at 7x, flip the power lever and your target is right-there-dead-center. There is usually just a tiny touch of the focus wheel needed. The binocular is amazingly easy to hold quite steady at 12x, something that did surprise me. If you want to follow fast things in close, give these a look. Before the butterfly watchers dismiss the 7.2* fov, you need to try the WOW you will get when you flip a 7x butterfly up to 12x.

The focus will take some getting used to. I thought my Swift was fast until the 7/12 GR. It focuses counterclockwise to infinity. The whole movement takes just .8 turns. Mark 12:00 on the focus wheel at one end of travel and it stops at 10:00 on the other side. There is also nearly ¼ turn left past infinity. There is little discernible difference in focus movement from close focus to infinity.

There are a couple of quirks I need to mention. The first is that the whole binocular works best if the initial focus setup is done at 7x and on something at least a mile away. The 7x seems not to mind so much, but the 12x behaves much better. When I first set up the focus on a 200 or so meter target, 12x didn’t act like it wanted to focus properly, except for very close distances, say 50’ or closer. When I finally tried the focus set up on a radio tower on top of the Rattlesnake Hills at what Google Earth claims is 4.5 miles from my driveway, the little binocular started working at 12x too. The diopter eye (right) is just a tiny bit out of focus at 12x. Leupold told me to send it in because the guy said that did not sound right. So off it goes this week. This came from Internet auction and sold as NIB with all of the paperwork. I have bought several binoculars that way and I always leave myself an expectation of the possibility of service.

What these are, in my estimation, at the current retail of $950.00 US is a $550 7x glass with a $450 12x backup. I think these are going to prove very useful binoculars. The key to understanding these is to think of them as a primary 7x glass that has a back up switch function at 12x. The 12x setting is far better than I anticipated. The 7x is at least as good as any existing 6-7x 30-36 binocular. I will very likely keep these.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back