• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here are the new Victorys: Victory HT (1 Viewer)

Ah, give the guy a break. ;)

...and it won't be the new Zeiss he gets anyway. I didn't see an 8x32 on any of the websites. My bet is on the SV 8x32.

Ah, give the guy a break. ;)

...and it won't be the new Zeiss he gets anyway. I didn't see an 8x32 on any of the websites. My bet is on the SV 8x32.

Yup, that's it. Which will win?

"Will his intrepid Nikon survive the clutches of the evil Swarovski? Will Dennisman stick by his (oh, so recently acquired) sidekick EDGboy? Or will he dump it in favor of the latest and greatest? Staaaaay tuned. Same bat time. Same batty channel. Birdforum!"

(This, with all due apologies to all the folks who didn't come of age in batty America. I mean before the Batman movies. Weird time then. :D)

Mark

Last edited:
A small bird whispered in my ear that these new 'HT' bins are mostly designed with hunters' requirements in mind. They could e.g. market the 8x42 to the hunter market being as good (but less weight) in twilight than any 8x56... I don't know if there would be any 'BT' coming out any time soon. Looking at the zeissexperience site, it seems that the only thing that will come out soon is a new rifle scope.
The new ergonomics are well-thought. The focus wheel is a little lower, and because it is between two hinges, it has the potential to be a very smooth focusser that resembles Nikon focus wheels. (like the new Conquest is already focussing a lot better than the old one)

"The focus wheel is a little lower, and because it is between two hinges, it has the potential to be a very smooth focusser that resembles Nikon focus wheels."

Nikon engineered one with one hinge on the EDG and it works just fine and it is lighter. In fact I would put the focus wheel on the EDG at the top of the heap when it comes to smoothness and precision and I highly doubt the Zeiss focusser will be superior.

Yup, that's it. Which will win?

"Will his intrepid Nikon survive the clutches of the evil Swarovski? Will Dennisman stick by his (oh, so recently acquired) sidekick EDGboy? Or will he dump it in favor of the latest and greatest? Staaaaay tuned. Same bat time. Same batty channel. Birdforum!"

(This, with all due apologies to all the folks who didn't come of age in batty America. I mean before the Batman movies. Weird time then. :D)

Mark

If the new SV 8x32 is "Rolling, rolling,rolling, Rawhide" like Brock says I will probably stick with the EDG. I prefer the liquid smoothness of the EDG focusser also and I doubt if the focusser on the 8x32 SV is going to be radically different from the 8.5x42 meaning harder in one direction. I also have only $800.00 in my Nikon EDG II so the Zeiss HT or the Swarovski SV 8x32 are going to have to be darn good to make me cough up another $1200.00 for them.

A small bird whispered in my ear that these new 'HT' bins are mostly designed with hunters' requirements in mind. They could e.g. market the 8x42 to the hunter market being as good (but less weight) in twilight than any 8x56... I don't know if there would be any 'BT' coming out any time soon. Looking at the zeissexperience site, it seems that the only thing that will come out soon is a new rifle scope.
The new ergonomics are well-thought. The focus wheel is a little lower, and because it is between two hinges, it has the potential to be a very smooth focusser that resembles Nikon focus wheels. (like the new Conquest is already focussing a lot better than the old one)

If you think about it Zeiss has always catered more to the hunting market and Nikon has specialized more in the birding market with their binoculars. Nikon has a long line of excellent birding binoculars that are targeted just at birders. SE, EII, and the EDG. Of course you would have to say Nikon does cover alot of different markets with their line. They have a pretty good binocular for almost any use. I really think Zeiss focuses more on the Hunting market though not to say they don't make some good birding binoculars.

Umm ! The new HT. Why is it called HT ? High transmission or for Hunting ? I prefer the aesthetics compared to the previous FL. Would also hope the image is a bit warmer. I've also heard that the HT are aimed at the hunting market and not a replacement for the Victory FL. Does this mean we should expect another new alpha Zeiss for birders ?

The Tick,

I doubt if the rumor you heard about the HTs being aimed at hunters is true, though no doubt a small segment of that market are hunters.

Hunters spend a lot of money on guns, ammo, tree stands, riflescopes, rangefinders, decoys, deer calls, deer scents, turkey calls, gun cabinets, licenses, etc., so most use fairly inexpensive bins. Some don't even use bins, just riflescopes.

OTOH, there are some hunters with deep pockets who can afford all that equipment plus alphas, but I don't think this segment is large enough to justify a line of Zeiss Überbins especially made for hunters. But if you see an HT in pink camo, then you'll know there might be some credence to those rumors! :)

Or maybe like the Swaro 8x30 W DF, the new HTs were made for Saudi lizard hunters? :)

Ben Edlund, Brockton, Massachusetts

Brock:
It does seem the rumor mill on the next uber optic, has now entered the twilight zone
of one, "your" opinion of what hunters will purchase. There is one thing I do know, Swaro. has the largest slice of the optics market with hunters, and along with birders, many know
what they desire in a quality optic.
This thread is like many with the anticipation of the next, newest, best optic to enter
the market.
I do hope Zeiss will please us with a nice new binocular, the competition is very good.
If it is just a FL with new armor, without a better full field optics design, and an Edge to edge view, then I think the Zeiss will have missed the mark, and what I would expect in
a top rated binocular.

So, we will all see, when the new models enter the marketplace.

Jerry

The website zeiss.de/zeissexperience now shows a bit on the Victory HT, but not more info than already known from the dealers websites.

There will be also a Victory HT rifle scope. So that one was most probably designed with hunters in mind, while Zeiss apparently also intends to sell the bins, conquest and victory alike, to birders.

@ NDhunter: hunters may account for the biggest market in the US, but for e.g. Swaro, I do know that they sell most to birders in Scandinavia, GB, Belgium, The Netherlands.

The Tick,

I doubt if the rumor you heard about the HTs being aimed at hunters is true, though no doubt a small segment of that market are hunters.

Hunters spend a lot of money on guns, ammo, tree stands, riflescopes, rangefinders, decoys, deer calls, deer scents, turkey calls, gun cabinets, licenses, etc., so most use fairly inexpensive bins. Some don't even use bins, just riflescopes.

OTOH, there are some hunters with deep pockets who can afford all that equipment plus alphas, but I don't think this segment is large enough to justify a line of Zeiss Überbins especially made for hunters. But if you see an HT in pink camo, then you'll know there might be some credence to those rumors! :)

Or maybe like the Swaro 8x30 W DF, the new HTs were made for Saudi lizard hunters? :)

Ben Edlund, Brockton, Massachusetts

The hunters out here must have more money and I agree with NDhunter they have mostly Swarovski's.

The indication that the HT's are meant for the Hunting market and not a replacement for the FL's, came from someone pretty senior in Zeiss. Unless he made it up, I believe him.

Here is a tidbit from the Pres. of Zarl Zeiss Sports Optics, USA, I found over on the 24
Hour Campfire forum. US press release to follow in a few weeks.

"The first real "super premium binocular" built by hunters for hunters."

"....price, resolution, flat field distortion, transmission, durability....all better."

Interesting, sounds like some improvements over the FL.

Jerry

Here's a complete quote from Mr. Jensen at 24 Hour Camfire:

"Can't give any details BC it's not fair to our media stream and our product launch strategy, but you will not be disappointed, price, resolution, flat field distortions, transmission, durability... all better."

Sounds like a marketing guy to me.

Here's a complete quote from Mr. Jensen at 24 Hour Camfire:

"Can't give any details BC it's not fair to our media stream and our product launch strategy, but you will not be disappointed, price, resolution, flat field distortions, transmission, durability... all better."

Sounds like a marketing guy to me.

Henry, you are correct. :t:

I am thinking those features mentioned are to be expected in a new model.

Jerry

Old view plus 1% or NEW VIEW??

Leica Ultravid to Ultravid HD, an old view plus 1% (my terminology)

Swaro EL to Swarovision, a NEW VIEW (again my terminology)

Let's see if Victory FL to Victory HT is another, ho-hum, old view plus 1%...

I didn't replace my Ultravids because an old view plus 1% isn't worth it
I won't replace my Victory FLs for the same reason

... but you will not be disappointed, price, resolution, flat field distortions, transmission, durability... all better."

The only thing from this list we know anything about so far is the price (the one advertised on orniwelt.de) and that looks certainly better, for Zeiss that is.

As for "core hunting product", I still don't get it. What makes one 8x42 with centre focus more suitable for birding or hunting than another 8x42? Of course a Zeiss marketing guy will tell to hunters "a products for hunters made by hunters" and to birders "a product for birders made by birders". And he's right, both want good optics and good ergonomics.

Last edited:
dalat,

I hope nobody thinks that quote comes from me! I was quoting one of Zeiss' executive sales people. We optics geeks don't use nonsense phrases like "flat field distortions".

Henry

Sorry for that badly done quotation, if it would be from you I'd never dare to criticize it ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back