• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did I miss? Terra ED??? (1 Viewer)

Hi Jan

Your comment about Kamakura is interesting.
Here is what CZ say on their website:

Made in Germany

A revolution in design, ergonomics and optics. The perfect “Made in Germany” all-rounder combines ZEISS quality with state-of-the-art technology.​

Would you like to clarify your remark?

I am puzzled by your explanation of HD / fluorite glass as I did not intend to imply any question or comment about these things, but clearly something I wrote inspired you to volunteer information.

Lee

To be clear the "Made in Germany" quote above refers to Conquest HD and not Terra.

Lee

Be careful attempting to glean info from the Terra ED pages on the Zeiss website... it seems some links on the Terra pages direct you to Conquest information. Mildly confusing. Very sloppy.

Hi St Elmo

Sloppy is correct. The new Terra pages are copied and pasted from the ConqHD pages with technical details changed. Trouble is there are a couple of references in there to Conquest HD, a photo of an HD etc....

Terra ED has yet to appear on CZ D or UK sites.

Lee

They might have been made in Germany at one time, but like just about everything else mass manufactured, they are now "Made in China". They're pretty cheap. If they were "Made in Germany," they would cost a lot more and most people wouldn't buy them, because they wouldn't be competitively priced with other wipes available today. Harder to sell a premium wipe than a premium roof.

How do you know? Have you got any reliable sources?

Or is your statement - as so much of the stuff you write, I might add - just pure speculation and nothing but speculation?

Hermann

Hi Jan

Your comment about Kamakura is interesting.
Here is what CZ say on their website:

Made in Germany

A revolution in design, ergonomics and optics. The perfect “Made in Germany” all-rounder combines ZEISS quality with state-of-the-art technology.​

Would you like to clarify your remark?

I am puzzled by your explanation of HD / fluorite glass as I did not intend to imply any question or comment about these things, but clearly something I wrote inspired you to volunteer information.

Lee

Lee and others,

When a new model comes out, the Center dealers are the first to know. At that time we were a Zeiss Center dealer. Zeiss made a mistake in their announcment about the Conquest HD by putting the words Made in Germany between " " .
So I asked the Dutch importer of Zeiss why they communicated this like Zeiss did and asked him flat out if the talks were true that this model was made by Kamakura onder strict Zeiss quality controls, such as giving Kamakura the High Vacuum coating technology needed for the Conquest HD model.

Now comes something you need to understand. If I ask my supplier a question about goods he delivers to me and he lies about it, he is gone.
And they all know this.

The answer was that this model was made by Kamakura. This was at the German IWA. Let's say the European Shot show. Later on, the Zeiss marketing machine began moving as the talks about Zeiss outsourcing to Japan (as they allready did with the rangefinder) became louder and louder.
From that moment the answer became: "Why is this relevant? Even when it is true, so what. It is always made under Zeiss quality control", to "It is not true. The "Made in Germany" quote was a writing failure and should have been from the beginning Made in Germany, but all the brochures are allready made.
So that is the Zeiss official statement. Maybe some Zeiss representative can share us with information on this matter?

For me it is not a big deal. But I need to inform my customers in Holland correctly when they ask me about this subject. And they did, that's why I checked with Zeiss.

Personally I disagree with the fact that an A brand outsources to others, but that is out of my reach. I do have to inform my customers about the fact they don't buy genuine Zeiss material but outsourced material, when I know that's the fact.

Lee,
I put two posts in one. And now it looks like I commented things while you did not said it. Sorry for that. My mistake.

Jan

How do you know? Have you got any reliable sources?

Or is your statement - as so much of the stuff you write, I might add - just pure speculation and nothing but speculation?

Hermann

Hey, Munster, I know because I buy them at Walmart and "Made in China" is written on the box.

Unfortunately, I can't focus close enough with my camera to see the fine print on the back of the box, but there's a gray highlighted area that lists phone numbers for Carl Zeiss Vision in the US and Canada, below that it says "Distributed by Carl Zeiss Vision, San Diego, CA" and next to that: Made in China.

Mooreorless buys them at Walmart too, he can confirm it. His camera has a macro lens, he can probably image that part of the box since it's obvious that your national pride makes it hard for you to believe that the prestigious "blue shield" could be attached to anything "Made in China".

Welcome to globalization! ;)

<B>

Attachments

• Zeiss wipes 182 [].JPG
    Zeiss wipes 182 [].JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Zeiss wipes 186 [].JPG
    Zeiss wipes 186 [].JPG
    125 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
FWIW, I have information that also says the Conquest HD is made mostly by Kamakura with just enough final touches done in Germany to qualify for the Made in Germany label. So I'm with Jan here

Hi Jan

Thanks for your explanation. I think that you are saying the Conquest is made by Kamakura but the following sentence is puzzling:

Made in Germany" quote was a writing failure and should have been from the beginning Made in Germany, but all the brochures are allready made.​

Made in Germany should have been Made in Germany ? And yet it is made in in SE Asia? Perhaps you could employ your Dutch plain-English and explain this.

I am also unclear about the following:

For me it is not a big deal...........

Personally I disagree with the fact that an A brand outsources to others,​

To me this seems to say first you don't mind Zeiss out-sourcing but second you disagree with it.............

On the other hand its Monday today and everyone should be allowed extra consideration on Mondays.

Lee

Last edited:
Predictable first off in the degree of "snobbery" or "elitism" apparent here. "Zeiss is ordained by a higher power to only make elite level expensive binoculars intended only for those who are able to appreciate the finer things in life".

Sometimes you have a bad day. Never should have used that terminology :eek!:. It was not intended to be aimed at anyone specifically and I should have used milder language. Apologies to all for the gaffe.

Hello all,

I wonder if Zeiss has left Hungary, as the political situation there is a little frightening.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Lee and others,

When a new model comes out, the Center dealers are the first to know. At that time we were a Zeiss Center dealer. Zeiss made a mistake in their announcment about the Conquest HD by putting the words Made in Germany between " " .
So I asked the Dutch importer of Zeiss why they communicated this like Zeiss did and asked him flat out if the talks were true that this model was made by Kamakura onder strict Zeiss quality controls, such as giving Kamakura the High Vacuum coating technology needed for the Conquest HD model.

Now comes something you need to understand. If I ask my supplier a question about goods he delivers to me and he lies about it, he is gone.
And they all know this.

The answer was that this model was made by Kamakura. This was at the German IWA. Let's say the European Shot show. Later on, the Zeiss marketing machine began moving as the talks about Zeiss outsourcing to Japan (as they allready did with the rangefinder) became louder and louder.
From that moment the answer became: "Why is this relevant? Even when it is true, so what. It is always made under Zeiss quality control", to "It is not true. The "Made in Germany" quote was a writing failure and should have been from the beginning Made in Germany, but all the brochures are allready made.
So that is the Zeiss official statement. Maybe some Zeiss representative can share us with information on this matter?

For me it is not a big deal. But I need to inform my customers in Holland correctly when they ask me about this subject. And they did, that's why I checked with Zeiss.

Personally I disagree with the fact that an A brand outsources to others, but that is out of my reach. I do have to inform my customers about the fact they don't buy genuine Zeiss material but outsourced material, when I know that's the fact.

Lee,
I put two posts in one. And now it looks like I commented things while you did not said it. Sorry for that. My mistake.

Jan

Doesn't Kamakura also make binoculars for Nikon?

Sometimes you have a bad day. Never should have used that terminology :eek!:. It was not intended to be aimed at anyone specifically and I should have used milder language. Apologies to all for the gaffe.

Top marks for a gracious retraction.

Lee

Hi Jan

Thanks for your explanation. I think that you are saying the Conquest is made by Kamakura but the following sentence is puzzling:

Made in Germany" quote was a writing failure and should have been from the beginning Made in Germany, but all the brochures are allready made.​

Made in Germany should have been Made in Germany ? And yet it is made in in SE Asia? Perhaps you could employ your Dutch plain-English and explain this.

I am also unclear about the following:

For me it is not a big deal...........

Personally I disagree with the fact that an A brand outsources to others,​

To me this seems to say first you don't mind Zeiss out-sourcing but second you disagree with it.............

On the other hand its Monday today and everyone should be allowed extra consideration on Mondays.

Lee

Hallo Lee,

You are right. I wear two hats, for me that's normal but it could be strange for some one else.

My private "hat" thinks that A brands are A brands because of the perfection.
They should not outsource because of the fact that the customer thinks he/she is buying the original brand stuff.

My retailers "hat" tells me that is does not matters what the customer buys, as long as he buys the optics he needs and the brand or origine is not important as long as it fills the needs. But he/she must know!

The mentioning of "Made in Germany" instead of the legal way Made in Germany how it had to be on the Zeiss catalog raised a lot of questions about the origins of the Conquest HD. This was done on purpose by Zeiss, on marketing level, to prevent problems because they did outsource the model but did not want the future customers to know. A bit naive in this world of internet, but that's how it went down according to my Zeiss representative at the end of this soap.
So the first Zeiss reaction was:
It's true!; then came: is this really an issue?; followed by: it was a misprint in the catalog, but they were allready printed so we handed them out, but the Conquest HD is genuine Made in Germany.
A nice example how Marketing and Sales and Advertisement Departments communicated at Zeiss on this matter (and still do).

I hope this makes it a bit more clear.
My only excuse for my Dutch English is that I am a autodidact.;)
Jan

Given today's "worldwide economy," it could be made anywhere - the requisite "made in" designation being rendered largely meaningless by today's production systems and methods. The "made in" designation only indicates where a product meets the local "made in" standards to bear that designation. Being a dinosaur, I still feel better if it says "Made in Germany" than if it says "Made in China."

At those $350'ish prices you can bet you're bottom dollar they aren't made in Germany. Probably many Asian parts inside. There's a Schott plant in China, you know.

Who knows what Zeiss meant by the quotation marks? I wonder if in Germany they realize that here in the US the "quotation marks" are popularly abused, by both the uneducated and the educated, and we make fun of ourselves for this habit.

I recall popular humorist Dave Barry, in his guise as Mr. Word Person, on the subject:

Dear MWP,
Please give three examples of the correct use of quotation marks.
"Confused"

Dear "Confused",
"Try" our hotdogs.
Try "our" hotdogs.
Try our "hotdogs".
MWP

Now, would Zeiss think that was funny? Anyhow, to me the quotations suggest that the binocular is not made in Germany at all!

Ron

I suspect sales of the highend binoculars have been generally flat for several years now and the only way to increase sales for a luxury brand is to go downmarket. Sometimes rather than dilute the established brands image, they start/buy a new brand/product line. More Sku's hitting more pricepoints. Pretty much SOP for most manufacturing/retailing businesses looking for growth.

Frankly, I am pretty stoked about the possibility of a sub-$500 Zeiss. More so than I was even about the Nikon Monarch ED.

Dear Mr H_,
"Our" bins are "the brightest".
Yours truly, Zeiss
Dear Mr H_,
Our bins are "the best".
Yours truly, Many other cos.

Last edited:
Hallo Lee,

You are right. I wear two hats, for me that's normal but it could be strange for some one else.

My private "hat" thinks that A brands are A brands because of the perfection.
They should not outsource because of the fact that the customer thinks he/she is buying the original brand stuff.

My retailers "hat" tells me that is does not matters what the customer buys, as long as he buys the optics he needs and the brand or origine is not important as long as it fills the needs. But he/she must know!

The mentioning of "Made in Germany" instead of the legal way Made in Germany how it had to be on the Zeiss catalog raised a lot of questions about the origins of the Conquest HD. This was done on purpose by Zeiss, on marketing level, to prevent problems because they did outsource the model but did not want the future customers to know. A bit naive in this world of internet, but that's how it went down according to my Zeiss representative at the end of this soap.
So the first Zeiss reaction was:
It's true!; then came: is this really an issue?; followed by: it was a misprint in the catalog, but they were allready printed so we handed them out, but the Conquest HD is genuine Made in Germany.
A nice example how Marketing and Sales and Advertisement Departments communicated at Zeiss on this matter (and still do).

I hope this makes it a bit more clear.
My only excuse for my Dutch English is that I am a autodidact.;)
Jan

Hi Jan

Thanks Jan, all clear now. I didn't realise the quotation marks had a "legal" significance in the EU. On the CZ website the 'made in Germany' phrase appears both without quotation marks, as a heading in bold, as well as with quotation marks in the text.

Outsourcing is a fact of life in the global economy and if it delivers products that meet or exceed customers' expectations (and the ConqHD certainly exceeded mine) then thats great. But making the 'made in Germany' claim one of the three pillars of your marketing message (HD Lens System, Compact and Lightweight, Made in Germany) when it is apparently fundamentally a product of a South-East Asian factory is distasteful.

It would have been better to have made no claims at all about its origin.

However, all that said, the Conquest HD is a terrific piece of kit and deserves to succeed.

Lee

Lee,

It seems that, for you, it takes only one sentence to come to the point, as where I need a half page.
But I agree fully with your post.
Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back