• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experience new birding (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may guess what this teaser means: Perhaps the new binoculars come entirely without prisms, and for the first time we see all the birds hanging upside down ;-)

Additional benefits: Transmission gain (another 2% over the HT), and 150g lower weight!

OK, let's wait and see!
Holger

One of their patents is a prismless zoom design but with 19 lenses in the configuration I don't think there would be weight savings.

David

But the Duovid doesn't zoom in the usually accepted sense, it simply switches from one magnification to another, with no opportunity to set the bins at an intermediate magnification.

Lee

one CAN set an intermediate magnification, but difficult to do
two mags work well, just heavy and expensive

edj

back to the topic,
I do now want more of the same or 1/2% improvement
To get my purchase I would like to see something different
something to compliment the optics I have

9 more days

edj

one CAN set an intermediate magnification, but difficult to do
two mags work well, just heavy and expensive

edj

Ed

I bet you can get a gun magazine to work well with 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP as well aren't you :-O

Then again, I used to balance a 3 position switch on a Fender Stratocaster in between 1&2 and 2&3 to get the hollow 'in-between' sounds, which I guess is similar to what you are doing with the Duovid.

Does it count as cruel and unusual treatment of your bins and invalidate the warranty? :king:

Lee

Who said it will be a binocular,the Diascope could do with an HT uplift now that would be good for birders.Only my thoughts I´m afraid no insider knowledge here.....Eddy.

Who said it will be a binocular,the Diascope could do with an HT uplift now that would be good for birders.Only my thoughts I´m afraid no insider knowledge here.....Eddy.

Ed

The 'reveal' on the website briefly shows the front view of a pair of bins. Hope all is good with you.

Lee

The dealer, Orniwelt has often jumped the gun in the past.
They're not showing anything new but they're showing the FLs as discontinued, so it looks like it's going to be 32 mm HTs.

John

The dealer, Orniwelt has often jumped the gun in the past.
They're not showing anything new but they're showing the FLs as discontinued, so it looks like it's going to be 32 mm HTs.

John

Hi John

Well, for sure Zeiss will do some new Victory class 32s at some point but they won't be HTs.

The glass you need for the more compact SP prisms of 32s just doesn't give the transmission increase necessary for a HT, so unfortunately a 32mm HT just isn't on the cards.

Lee

What the heck? I'll take a guess:

8x35 Abbe-Koenig HT, Flat-field, 23 ounces, 435 foot FOV.

That would get a birder's attention. Mine anyway. ;)

Mark

Mark

You might as well go for 450 ft while you are casting your pennies in the wishing well.

Good luck with this one :king:

Lee

Hi John

Well, for sure Zeiss will do some new Victory class 32s at some point but they won't be HTs.

The glass you need for the more compact SP prisms of 32s just doesn't give the transmission increase necessary for a HT, so unfortunately a 32mm HT just isn't on the cards.

Lee

Well, Lee I know it doesn't offer any significant advantages, but there is a BaK4HT and also a SK2HT, which could conceivably be used in SP prisms.

HT now seems to be chasing ED, SD etc. as a marketing term, so if Zeiss can justify it I'm sure they will use it.

Regards,
John

Well, Lee I know it doesn't offer any significant advantages, but there is a BaK4HT and also a SK2HT, which could conceivably be used in SP prisms.

HT now seems to be chasing ED, SD etc. as a marketing term, so if Zeiss can justify it I'm sure they will use it.

Regards,
John

Yes they could use those glasses but I am absolutely clear that they won't unless they can offer a sufficient advantage to justify the HT tag, and who knows what Schott has up its sleeve next?

But this is a more exciting prospect isn't it: a new 32 mm at Victory level but with it's own characteristics not just those handed down from the last 42mm.

However, the big question is when will Zeiss turn it's attention to a 32?

Lee

Agreed... 42mm binoculars don't interest me, though I know I'm in the minority.

Hi Mac

I wouldn't go so far as that myself except to say that 32mm bins are probably more popular now than ever and not just with those folks who want a compact stand-in for their 42.

I would hope that manufacturers start to look at 32s with a view to giving them their own identity and strengths and not just as a slimmed down 42.

Lee

As long as we're dreaming...

7x35 porro with HT-quality glass and coatings, waterproof but still easy-turn focus, nitrogen purged, wide field of view, 450g weight.

:smoke:

Maybe the announcement is about alien-grade binoculars without any glass elements !
Mere electromagnetic manipulation of air pockets to create instantaneous plasma lenses with 100% light transmission, no distortions and no aberrations.

Maybe the announcement is about alien-grade binoculars without any glass elements !
Mere electromagnetic manipulation of air pockets to create instantaneous plasma lenses with 100% light transmission, no distortions and no aberrations.

Not to mention infinitely variable zoom, field of view and photon capture-radius (equivalent of objective lens size) !!

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back