• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So....SF 8X42 has arrived... (1 Viewer)

NICE !!!!

Please take note about the SN and also is a good idea to have another binocular side by side to compare then color cast is more evident.

Waiting for your review.....:t:
I will compare to the Swarovski SV. I know they are pretty neutral in color. I seem to remember my Zeiss FL's having a slight green tint. Maybe that is just Zeiss's way.

Last edited:
Dear all,
What Zeiss has done both with the SF as with the HT is bringing the optimum light transmission to the spectral region of optimal eye sensitivity at daylight and looking at the SF spectra we measured and at the control image of the SF when I look at a white surface it is not green at all in my eyes, it is nice and bright and white looks pretty normal white.
Gijs van Ginkel

If you go looking for green tint, you will see it no doubt.

I've had my HT for over 2 years now and have never noticed any colour cast, as neutral as anything I have - and that is testing against snow. Perfectly clean and white, compared against many other binos...

however photographic evidence reveals...

I don't see it but I dont have all those binocs to compare against. It is very possible that when sets of glasses are compared one another not all of them are equally neutral.

Now, how that difference in neutrality is evaluated is more a personal matter. Having said that if you need to look so hard to find it, to the extent of comparing glasses side by side, it may not be that big of a deal.

My amateur contribution. I enjoy more spending time looking through the binoculars than at the binoculars :)

Okay so I need to modify some of my comments... B :)

The EYECUPS...
Upon using the SFs this AM I discovered something.... Over the weekend, I used the SFs the VAST majority of the time wearing glasses even though I used them some without. This morning while NOT wearing glasses I was like...no WAY.....So while REALLY twisting the eyecup, EUREKA...there IS a middle stop in the eyecup adjustment.... what I once thought was the top stop WAS the middle stop, but WOW it took quite a twist to get there. So my apologies... Certainly not as bad as I initially reported.... Perhaps they will "break in." For now I'll still say they are not what they SHOULD be. I've never had an issue adjusting eye-cups before now.

From what I've read, people have also done this with the Zeiss 32mm Conquest HD's too.

I can see why this might happen, since the eyecups take more effort to twist than does every other bino I have ever tried.......

That test was done in halogen lighting. The bump in the halogen light spectrum partly coincides with the transmission peak in Zeiss bins. That will probably exaggerate things a bit. Daylight have much more energy in the blue spectrum
See attached file for the different light spectrums

Would have been interesting to see the test done with "cool white LED" light used.
Maybe the Swaros would have had a blue tint instead?

Attachments

• wavelength-and-efficiency-of-daylight-vs-incandescent-vs-warm-white-led-vs-halogen-vs-cool-white-led
    59.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I compared the 10X50 SV and 10X42 SF side by side on several occasions and I don't recall anything particularly green about the image, but it did look rather yellow one evening with the sun setting behind me. The atmosphere to the east was somewhat yellow to the naked eye that evening, the SV showed about what my eyes saw, the SF boosted the yellow cast to an unnatural level. It was the only time I saw anything like that with them.

I've had my HT for over 2 years now and have never noticed any colour cast, as neutral as anything I have - and that is testing against snow. Perfectly clean and white, compared against many other binos...

To my eyes there's a difference between the SF and the HT. The HT doesn't have a colour cast to my eyes, and the whites are white. With the SF I see a colour cast.

Hermann

Hi GT

Its not a question of what tint there is in photographic evidence or what some people see, for me its a question of what I see/notice when using the bins.

As Perterra says, if you don't see it, it doesn't exist.

Maybe it works like CA which for some folks is something they always see in some bins and which they cannot ignore and their eyes are always drawn to it.
Other folks use those bins and just don't notice the CA.

I have corresponded with plenty of folks about SFs and most of them describe SFs as neutral in colour.

Lee

During 99% of the viewing I did with them they seemed very neutral, a bit subdued possibly, but wintertime viewing is naturally subdued with little natural color. One interesting effect of the overall view being somewhat understated is the way brilliant objects really pop out at you. I remember one instance when a bicyclist dressed in very bright colors looked absolutely VIVID framed within the stark background, this an effect you don't get to quite the same degree with an overall more colorful view.

Hi GT

Its not a question of what tint there is in photographic evidence or what some people see, for me its a question of what I see/notice when using the bins.

Maybe it works like CA which for some folks is something they always see in some bins and which they cannot ignore and their eyes are always drawn to it.

I have corresponded with plenty of folks about SFs and most of them describe SFs as neutral in colour.

Lee

Hi GT

Lee
It is easy to become accustomed to the color of the binocular you are using. I know I use Swarovski's which are pretty neutral and when I try a Nikon or Leica I really notice the warm reddish color. I wonder if it could be the Fluorite crystals in the HD lenses of the Zeiss giving it that greenish sparkling look. In astronomy we used to talk about apochromatic telescopes with Fluorite lenses imparting a greenish tint that sparkled when you looked at astro objects. It was considered just a characteristic of the glass. But you really don't want a lot of added color rather you want a neutral view when birding.

It is easy to become accustomed to the color of the binocular you are using. I know I use Swarovski's which are pretty neutral and when I try a Nikon or Leica I really notice the warm reddish color. I wonder if it could be the Fluorite crystals in the HD lenses of the Zeiss giving it that greenish sparkling look. In astronomy we used to talk about apochromatic telescopes with Fluorite lenses imparting a greenish tint that sparkled when you looked at astro objects. It was considered just a characteristic of the glass. But you really don't want a lot of added color rather you want a neutral view when birding.

Thats true Dennis but the majority of folks who have contacted me report neutrality from their newly acquired SFs (they haven't had them long enough to get used to them) and some describe the view as 'warm' which doesn't correspond to 'green-yellow' at all.

So I wouldn't at all agree that most people agree there is the colour cast, but, yes a few do report this in exactly the same way as some reported it for FL and indeed Dialyt. And yet whenever I have asked folks I have met about their FLs nobody has said they have a colour cast.

Dennis I think this could be like Rolling Ball: it affects some people but not others. Remember the question isn't about what does or doesn't exist (me and my wife constantly disagree about some fabrics in our house which I say are green and she says are blue) its about what people see.

Here are a few quotes from other folks:

Colour reproduction and contrast are also excellent.
Colors simply real
I find that the SF has very natural colours
SF has the most real color reproduction of any bin i ever tried​

Lee

Lee,
I have loooked frequently through the SF in comparison with other binoculars, the color reproduction is very good and it is fully confirmed by the transmission spectra I have measured. No green cast at all and if people see it with the SF they should see it much stronger with the HT on the basis of the transmission spectra, but that binocular also does not have a green cast with my eyes.
Gijs

Lee,
I have loooked frequently through the SF in comparison with other binoculars, the color reproduction is very good and it is fully confirmed by the transmission spectra I have measured. No green cast at all and if people see it with the SF they should see it much stronger with the HT on the basis of the transmission spectra, but that binocular also does not have a green cast with my eyes.
Gijs

De Heer Prof

Thank you for this Gijs, this is what I find with my eyes too, but other people may see other things.

Lee

De Heer Prof

Thank you for this Gijs, this is what I find with my eyes too, but other people may see other things.

Lee
I will check the Zeiss SF's out today at Cabella's and see if this "Green Monster" really does exist. Some say it does and some say it doesn't. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back