• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biggest WOW binoculars you have ever looked through? (1 Viewer)

The 10x42L does indeed "shimmer" when panning. This is not a problem -- it is just something that they do. One just has to decide whether or not they want to put up with it.

The 10x42 Canon would not be a good choice for a situation where you have to constantly change focus, such as chasing warblers through the canopy at fairly short ranges. Otherwise, they are an amazing binocular......

Very interesting.
Your visual sensitivity must be higher than mine, the Canon shone imho when tracking flying birds, allowing stable views against a moving background.
I don't quite follow the problem with 'chasing warblers through the canopy'.
It is a fact of life here in NYC's Central Park, the warblers are almost always way overhead, 30-100 feet up. The stabilization is a huge help getting a good view of the bird. The small changes in focus as the birds constantly shift position by a few feet are never an issue.

Very interesting.
Your visual sensitivity must be higher than mine, the Canon shone imho when tracking flying birds, allowing stable views against a moving background.
It is a fact of life here in NYC's Central Park, the warblers are almost always way overhead, 30-100 feet up. The stabilization is a huge help getting a good view of the bird. The small changes in focus as the birds constantly shift position by a few feet are never an issue.
I know the Canon's are great for following geese and ducks overhead. I can't understand why they wouldn't handle a warbler.o:)

I am sorry but I don't see any "shimmer" in the Canon 10x42 IS-L's when panning. They pan just like any high quality binocular without RB. I am not sure if any 10x would be the best choice for chasing warblers through canopy at fairly short range but I think the Canon's would perform , as well as, any 10x and in fact probably better because you would have a rock steady image and you could differentiate the warbler from the foliage easier because you can see more detail with them when you are steady.Your resolution is probably 30 to 40 % higher with the IS than a normal 10x. They also have a reasonably quick focus.

Don't be sorry -- just get your eyes checked. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.....

Very interesting.

Here in TX, warblers can often be found five to maybe ten or fifteen feet above your head. At High Island, the tree branches are low enough to hit your head. This means that warblers are sometimes close enough to hit with a tennis racquet, if one were so inclined (please don't do this, btw). This means that if one is using a 10x bino, that you will be changing focus quite frequently because warblers are constantly on the move and they constantly move out of your plane of focus. The Canon has what I call an "adjustment period" where it "shimmers" a bit as you change focus. In other words, it changes focus as you change focus. And if you are constantly changing focus such as you would do for close-in rapidly moving objects (warblers are a good example, oddly enough), then the Canon is also constantly changing focus that tiny little bit. You end up "chasing" the focus, so to speak.

But don't take my word for it -- try it for yourself. And yes, my "visual sensitivity" is very, very good. And evidently is better than Denco's too.

BTW -- I don't use a 10x of any type while in the woods at High Island. That is where my 7x42 FL shines...........

Hello Wanderer,

Me!!!! It is ALL the binocular I want or need. The best compromise to me, considering ALL factors. After owned and used a variety of alfa ones...

all of my binoculars have given me a WOW at one time or another

astro
June 2004 seeing the Venus transit with Fujinon 7x50s;
knowing that no one alive had seen this before.

birding
barbed owl in a tree 100 yards away from my Fujinon 25x150s;
I never considered them birding binoculars until then

general
added detail of a painting in an art gallery with Leica 10+15x50s

edj

Last edited:
It seems that no one enthuses about the Zeiss Victory 10x42 HT!?

I did in post #8.

My original WOW was at the local Gander Mountain parking lot a couple of years ago. I had been looking through the EL 10X42 SV inside the store and was not particularly bowled over by them. With a little coaxing I was outside looking through them in beautiful conditions, that was definitely a WOW!!!! moment. Since then I've either owned or seen various configurations of the SV, SF, HT, FL, SE, and while there has been plenty of WOW with all of them, that first time in the parking lot hooked me on Alpha optics for ever. For pure WOW, the 10X50 SV and 10X42 HT are the two, both for different reasons. IMO

The Canon stabilizer varies from one example to another and sometimes the same binocular can behave well or less well.
Over the years they have generally improved.
The best I have tried is the 10x30 MK II, which has amazingly good IS.
However, sometimes the 15 year old 18x50 does better because it is much heavier and inertia plays a part.

There is a learning curve with the older ones, where being careful improves the IS a lot.

Unfortunately, I have few wow moments with binoculars.

My first view of Saturn's rings with a telescope and several astro delights have been Wow plus.

The Venus transit easily seen with protected unaided eyes was another.

And a Mercury transit with filtered 3x opera glass.
The recent one with filtered 4x22.

Independent early unaided eyes discovery of the Nova in Cygnus in 1975? another.

Titan star occultation with binocular incredible, when mid event the star reappeared because of Titan's atmosphere bending the star's light.

Green flash 7x23 Frank Nipole binocular.
Incredible fireball 18x50 IS.
Comet Bennett 1970.
Magnitude minus 9 exploding fireball unaided eyes.

The all sky halo event, with two Suns, numerous arcs, circles, some rare, is the greatest WOW event I have seen. Unaided eyes.

Last edited:
'Wow!' might be a measure of differentials...
I had - for 19 years - an old set of Viking porros, almost from the Charles Frank Optics days, and somehow, got by on them.
When i finally decided to do something about it and looked through a Vanguard Endeavor ED 8.5x45, it was like a caveman dropping his two rocks when he hears a drumkit (if that was ever likely to happen)
Similarly, when i looked through an HT at a Minsmere optics day - Wow again.
Wide, bright, immersive and like the view was right in front of your face.
I've now looked through loads of stuff, and the Wow! is usually closer to a 'Hmmmm...' as i check edge distortions, CA, brightness, resolution...more effective, but more boring perhaps.
Wow is more likely if i find a pearler at 50% discount.

astro

birding

general

edj
I would imagine the Fujinon 25x150s are definitely WOW!

The Canon stabilizer varies from one example to another and sometimes the same binocular can behave well or less well.
Over the years they have generally improved.
The best I have tried is the 10x30 MK II, which has amazingly good IS.
However, sometimes the 15 year old 18x50 does better because it is much heavier and inertia plays a part.

There is a learning curve with the older ones, where being careful improves the IS a lot.

Unfortunately, I have few wow moments with binoculars.

My first view of Saturn's rings with a telescope and several astro delights have been Wow plus.

The Venus transit easily seen with protected unaided eyes was another.

And a Mercury transit with filtered 3x opera glass.
The recent one with filtered 4x22.

Independent early unaided eyes discovery of the Nova in Cygnus in 1975? another.

Titan star occultation with binocular incredible, when mid event the star reappeared because of Titan's atmosphere bending the star's light.

Green flash 7x23 Frank Nipole binocular.
Incredible fireball 18x50 IS.
Comet Bennett 1970.
Magnitude minus 9 exploding fireball unaided eyes.

The all sky halo event, with two Suns, numerous arcs, circles, some rare, is the greatest WOW event I have seen. Unaided eyes.
Lunar observation with my 10 inch reflector telescope with a Nagler WA eyepiece was a definite WOW. It seemed liked I was orbiting the moon in a spacecraft getting ready to land.

Don't be sorry -- just get your eyes checked. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.....
My eyes are excellent 20/20 with no correction and I see no shimmer nor have I ever heard that from any respected viewer of the Canon 10x42 IS-L. One thing I have learned on Bird Forum is not to believe everything everybody says. If somebody sees shimmer fine but in my world I see no shimmer. Kimmo have you ever seen shimmer while panning with the Canon 10x42 IS-L?

Last edited:
My most recent WOW moment was when looking through a new pair of Weaver Super Slam 8.5x45's that I picked up on the cheap. The low cost had something to do with it. I was anticipating a great image based on other reviews and the Weaver's didn't disappoint. I was giggling with excitement and shaking my head at the same time because of what I paid for them. Totally worth the $680 asking price in my opinion and they are an absolute "Super Slam" at anything less!

One Canon IS might have an odd problem or apparent movement like 'shimmer' while most don't.
There are different effects seen in different Canon IS binoculars either over the last 20 years or individually.
They do vary.
Not only that, but there have been many updates and changes I think as Canon's technology has changed.
This is also seen in their cameras.

But one cannot make a statement that because one shimmers, they all do.

Every binocular is individual and different.
So are our eyes and perceptions.

It is worth checking that batteries are fresh. Also different batteries may make a difference.

Last edited:

astro

birding

general

edj

Yes, There have been some moments with the Fujinon 7x50 during extremely difficult lighting which have truly wowed me. When all other binoculars are virtually useless...the fujis are at their best.

The fact that you have actually used the monstrous 25x150 for birding is both outrageous and fantastic! Lol
There should be more of this IMO.

Another binocular which unexpectedly wowed me was the Swift Audubon.

I will also put in a mention for the very last of the Swarovski EL 8x30. There is something about these (like others have mentioned re their big brother) that I sometimes prefer over the Swarrovision model. Stunning optics without the ruthless field flatteners.

Also, the Zeiss 7x42 Bgatp. Optical nirvana nearly always.

I remember viewing close landing large aircraft coming toward me at an acute angle, using the Swarovski Habicht 8x30. Such was the razor acuity and contrast and 3D image that I could see the rivets and their tiny micro shadowing on the tail...then as the aircraft came closer and closer I was so startled and overwhelmed at the fast looming image that I stumbled backward with arms flailing looking like a buffoon - almost falling to the ground. Binoculars at their best. That was a wow moment :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back