• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus play on Swarovski 10x25 CL? (1 Viewer)

muppix

Hi everyone, n00b member here with what may well be a silly question:

Took delivery of my 10x25 CL today, really impressed with the optics and handling ... apart from the focus wheel. There's quite a lot of play here, which combined with the relatively quick focus adjustment (when it finally does bite) makes for a frustrating experience. Does this look normal to you?

https://youtu.be/1SQbylYbigk

My only other binoculars are a pair of Zeiss Dekarem from the 1950s, so I haven't got much experience on which to base a comparison, but those have no play at all and probably cost a fraction of the CLs.

To be fair, the retailer has offered to pick them up for evaluation, but I'm left wondering if I should steel myself for disappointment - I really like the optics - or if it's safe to say they'll be deemed a lemon. Opinions welcome!

Cheers,
M.

Hi everyone, n00b member here with what may well be a silly question:

Took delivery of my 10x25 CL today, really impressed with the optics and handling ... apart from the focus wheel. There's quite a lot of play here, which combined with the relatively quick focus adjustment (when it finally does bite) makes for a frustrating experience. Does this look normal to you?

https://youtu.be/1SQbylYbigk

My only other binoculars are a pair of Zeiss Dekarem from the 1950s, so I haven't got much experience on which to base a comparison, but those have no play at all and probably cost a fraction of the CLs.

To be fair, the retailer has offered to pick them up for evaluation, but I'm left wondering if I should steel myself for disappointment - I really like the optics - or if it's safe to say they'll be deemed a lemon. Opinions welcome!

Cheers,
M.

Welcome to BF, muppix! :hi:

The pocket CL 8x25's I owned had a minute 1-2 degrees in play, but as you stated, focus was so fast, I was never really bothered or noticed it much while glassing. Yours appears to have excess engagement take-up (judging from video, I'd say 20 degrees or more)...definitely get with your retailer and Swarovski as this much play Is Not acceptable!

Good Luck,

Ted

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

In my opinion the amount of focus play shown in the video (10 deg at least) is unacceptable for any pair of bins, let alone a Swaro.
It should be replaced or repaired by Swarovski and I'm sure it will be.

Joachim

Welcome to the forum. I would take it back and get a replacement.

Focus play is a very big deal for me, I don't like any.

The retailer, can deal with it, no need for you to send it back and
wait for a repair.

Jerry

Thanks for the replies everyone (even the one that was removed) - all are very much appreciated.

Those Swarovski's were picked up by the retailer's courier today and I await their feedback. While having a bit of clear-out in the meantime I discovered two binoculars I had forgotten about; a non-branded 8x21 Chinese thing and an 8x21 Tasco. The latter of these was surprisingly good, almost on par with the Dekarem for light, but neither had any detectable focus play. If these Christmas-cracker boys can get it right hopefully Swaro will too. ;)

Cheers,
M.

Thanks for the replies everyone (even the one that was removed) - all are very much appreciated.

Those Swarovski's were picked up by the retailer's courier today and I await their feedback. While having a bit of clear-out in the meantime I discovered two binoculars I had forgotten about; a non-branded 8x21 Chinese thing and an 8x21 Tasco. The latter of these was surprisingly good, almost on par with the Dekarem for light, but neither had any detectable focus play. If these Christmas-cracker boys can get it right hopefully Swaro will too. ;)

Cheers,
M.

A reputable Swarovski dealer will make it Right (change it out for a New CL 8x25 with "No Slop" in focus change directions)! :t:

BTW, Great optics in those little gems! :king:

Ted

Fwiw

I had a shop demo pair of those in my paws today and they were smooth and fast with no play. Not one bit.

Not so the big brother - CL Companion I tried.

Good luck getting them sorted out

Tm

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back