• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID for Brazilian bird (1 Viewer)

Widus

Hi,
I took this photo from a canopy tower (Cristalino Lodge, Mato Grosso, Brazil). The species I thought about is not described as a canopy bird so I'm at lost concerning its identity.

Attachments

• Mystery bird 001 - 2014.11.11 Cristalino Lodge, Alta Floresta (Mato Grosso) Brazil.jpg
    Mystery bird 001 - 2014.11.11 Cristalino Lodge, Alta Floresta (Mato Grosso) Brazil.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 68
Thanks a lot! I think you got it right. It looks indeed very similar to some pictures of female Black-faced Dacnis you can find on the web (none in the Gallery though). See the following examples: pic1, pic2, and pic3 .

Edit: in contrast to what I said earlier, there is one picture of a Black-faced Dacnis female in the Gallery (pic4)

Last edited:
I would look at female manakins before feeling confident. However, if you get to feel confident about this bird, then please upload to the gallery here.

Niels

Last edited:
I would say Manakins can be dismissed here because they are plumpier birds with very short tails (examples here and here). However, other Dacnis species should be considered. I submitted this photograph to the local guide who accompanied us during during our stay at the Cristalino Lodge and he tells us that this is a female Yellow-bellied Dacnis. See an example here. I uploaded this picture in the gallery.

Last edited:
I do not know what this bird might be. But do you think the dark patch on the head is some photografic artifact then? Because none of the linked pictures of black faced Dacnis shows such a patch.

I submitted this photograph to the local guide who accompanied us during during our stay at the Cristalino Lodge and he tells us that this is a female Yellow-bellied Dacnis. See an example here. I uploaded this picture in the gallery.

Did your guide also tell why? I don't see a red eye or any yellow colour tones underneath.

I do not know what this bird might be. But do you think the dark patch on the head is some photografic artifact then? Because none of the linked pictures of black faced Dacnis shows such a patch.
The dark patch is the shade of a dead branch on the bird. I am adding this composite image to show that.

Attachments

• Dacnis flaviventer 002 - 2014.11.11 Cristalino Lodge, Alta Floresta (Mato Grosso) Brazil.jpg
    Dacnis flaviventer 002 - 2014.11.11 Cristalino Lodge, Alta Floresta (Mato Grosso) Brazil.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 26
Did your guide also tell why? I don't see a red eye or any yellow colour tones underneath.
No he did not give the specifics of his ID. There is a yellowish tone underneath though (which I reckon is not seen in the Black-faced Dacnis). I also note that the eyes are not always bright orange especially in immatures (another example here).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back