• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CT. USA-Nashville Warbler? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

When I first saw this bird I figured it as maybe being a young Common Yellowthroat but after looking at the photo-I noticed an eyering and a hint of rust color near the cap that I saw in a Sibleys field guide-What is it? -thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Looks perfect for a Nashville male. That chestnut crown is usually hard to see, but I can see a hint of it in your beautiful picture.
:cat:

I believe the bird is a Common Yellowthroat. The "rust color" on the hind crown might just be an lighting issue with the photo. The crown patch is on the top of the head on a Nashville Warbler and not on the hind crown. I think if this bird were a Nashville Warbler it would show grayish head contrasting with the brownish back and wings of the bird. The bird in the photo does show a little bit of an eye-ring, but I think this would also be more pronounced if it were a Nashville Warbler.

I agree with Common Yellowthroat - Nashville Warblers are much smaller and compact looking, with a shorter tail and a shorter, more pointy bill.

Neil G.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back