• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift gone already 30th July 2011 (1 Viewer)

Have not deepened my understanding, but last week birds were still displaying frequently and chasing one another around in good numbers (few tens), producing the typical sounds over Klaipeda. This week I have not seen it, but can't fully check reasons because of bad weather.
I dd say that's different from the east of the Netherlands, where birds disappeared doing so the end of July.

Just when I thought it was safe to say they had gone from here, out of the murky sky this morning , appeared a single swift which joined a flock of house martins feeding around the front of my house.

Si.

1 swift over the outskirts of Armagh this afternoon. This equals my latest recorded sighting of a swift in Ireland.

Si.

No swifts around (Bonnyrigg, Scotland). There were ~10 house martins yesterday. Today was raining a lot - hope there are a few left tomorrow.

there is a swift which i believe is still nesting in my town. it flew in and out of this roof. i have had seen the odd swift here and there.

i had my first pink feet skein other day as well. that time of the year again!

My first post so please be gentle! I live on a road called Swallow Wood Road which suggests the obvious but I think the regular visitors are swifts. Anyway, this morning I have seen a large 'swirl' of birds outside, many of which visited the eaves of a nest. The birds could not all have come from the nest in question, I estimate that as many as 20 different birds swooped up to the nest. What was going on?

Hi Yorkie212,

Welcome to BF.

Are they Swifts? Anyway - Swifts or House martins - both prospect potential nest sites for next year before they leave (bit late for Swifts though, now - most went a month ago.) If House martins there should be mud-built domed nests in on the eaves.

H

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back