• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x42 Premier LX Binoculars 7502 (1 Viewer)

zykcon

I am thinking about getting the new Nikon 8x42 Premier LX Binoculars 7502 or the Leica 8x42 BN Trinovid. I have read great reviews on both can anyone help I'm in the vise grip of indecision!

Thanks
Mitch

I am thinking about getting the new Nikon 8x42 Premier LX Binoculars 7502 or the Leica 8x42 BN Trinovid. I have read great reviews on both can anyone help I'm in the vise grip of indecision!

Thanks
Mitch

I have owned and enjoyed both, so the advice from others that either will satisfy is accurate. That said, however, the Nikon has a smaller FOV, and in my subjective view, a flatter field and more vibrant colors. The hinge came loose on my Nikon which was both a disappointment and an annoyance, although the bin appeared otherwise very sturdy. Overall, I suspect the build quality on the Leica is higher, with a longer anticipated service life. I ended up selling both (both too heavy) and buying a Nikon 8 x 32 Premier LX which, in my view, is a spectacular glass, and a better choice overall.

I can tell you that if, like me, you have large hands, you may find the 8x32 LX a bit small to hold comfortably. I also find the 8x32 more difficult to focus than the 8x42 LX. I'm not sure if the gearing is faster on the 8x32, or if it is just due to having my hands so bunched up - but I find the 8x32 focus mechanism overly fast and sensitive. With that said, I agree that Nikon's optics are second to none - and I wouldn't trade my 8x42 LX for an 8x42 Trinovid - in fact, I did the opposite. I prefer the size and shape of the Nikon, the exceptional flatness of the image and the superior brightness and contrast of the Nikon, not to mention Nikon's silky smooth focus mechanism. Nikon also does a great job of recessing the objective lens, so it is shielded from the sun. The one negative with the Nikon LX is that its focus mechanism is so silky because it is greased - and since the properties of grease change with extremes of temperature, Nikon's focus feel is ever changing - and a bit of backlash creeps in at higher than room temperatures.

Last edited:
Try them both out and buy whichever you feel most comfortable with. Optically there's very little between them and both pairs are generally regarded as being superb. Personally I prefer 8x32 for general use and 10x40-ish for estuaries, seawatching. I'm not convinced the extra weight and cost associated with 8x42 is worth it. Despite Leica arguably having better build quality I'd go for the Nikons simply because I prefer their faster focusing.

I can tell you that if, like me, you have large hands, you may find the 8x32 LX a bit small to hold comfortably. I also find the 8x32 more difficult to focus than the 8x42 LX. I'm not sure if the gearing is faster on the 8x32, or if it is just due to having my hands so bunched up - but I find the 8x32 focus mechanism overly fast and sensitive. With that said, I agree that Nikon's optics are second to none - and I wouldn't trade my 8x42 LX for an 8x42 Trinovid - in fact, I did the opposite. I prefer the size and shape of the Nikon, the exceptional flatness of the image and the superior brightness and contrast of the Nikon, not to mention Nikon's silky smooth focus mechanism. Nikon also does a great job of recessing the objective lens, so it is shielded from the sun. The one negative with the Nikon LX is that its focus mechanism is so silky because it is greased - and since the properties of grease change with extremes of temperature, Nikon's focus feel is ever changing - and a bit of backlash creeps in at higher than room temperatures.

I have the Nikon LXL 8X32. I love the optics, but the ergonomics did take a while to get used to. Its as though the bins are pushing my hands farther out than I want them. But I got used to it. It also took a while to get used to the fast focus, but now that I am used to the fast focus I love it.

Maybe it is just me or my 8X32, but I have never noticed any difference in the turning of the focus wheel, whether it is 95 degrees or 10 degrees.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back