• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A seedsnipe from Argentina (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Mariana B. J. Picasso, Ricardo S. De Mendoza & Javier N. Gelfo, 2017

A seedsnipe (Aves, Charadriiformes, Thinocoridae) from the Ensenadan Age/Stage (early-middle Pleistocene) of Buenos Aires, Argentina

Historical Biology, Latest Articles

Abstract:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08912963.2017.1370647

The fossil record of the Charadriiformes in South America is scarce and limited to the Neogene of Argentina and Peru. In the present contribution, we present and describe a nearly complete tarsometatarsus of Thinocorus rumicivorus (Least Seedsnipe) from the Ensenadan Age/Stage (early-middle Pleistocene) of Punta Hermengo, Buenos Aires province, Argentina, which constitutes the youngest record for the species to date. We also compare the material with extant and fossil Thinocoridae. The stratigraphic range of the fossil predates the Matuyama/Brunhes boundary and is coincident with the biozone of Mesotherium cristatum, which indicates a more humid and warmer climate than the present for the species.

Enjoy,

Fred

Thinocorus rumicivorus Eschscholtz, 1829 was already known from a compleet left humerus from the Late Pleistoceen Talara Tar Seeps in Peru (Campbell, 1979).

Campbell also described an extinct species of Thinocorus Eschscholtz, 1829: Thinocorus koepckeae Campbell, 1979 and this species is known from a complete left humerus, also from the Pleistocene of Peru.

Campbell, 1979 also described a right coracoid from the Talara Tar Seeps as Thinocoridae genus et species indeterminata.

The oldest record for Thinocoridae is Thinocodarum indeterminata Agnolin, Tomassini et Contreras, 2016 from the Late Miocene of Argentina.

Literature:

Federico Lisandro Agnolin, Rodrigo L. Tomassini & Victor H. Contreras, 2016
Oldest Record of Thinocoridae (Aves, Charadriiformes) from South America
Annales de Paléontology 102: 1-6
Free pdf: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ridae_Aves_Charadriiformes_from_South_America

Kenneth E. Campbell, jr., 1979
The Non-Passerine Pleistocene Avifauna of the Talara Tar Seeps, Northwestern Peru
Royal Ontario Museum, Life Sciences Contribution 118: 1-203
Free pdf: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/111612#page/3/mode/1up

Enjoy,

Fred

Fossil (or at least subfossil) material of Charadriiformes is also known from Brazil, all belonging to extant species of Charadriidae, Jacanidae, Scolopacidae and Laridae.

Winge, O. (1888) Fugle fra Knoglehuler i Brasilien. E Museo Lundii 1 (2): 1-54.

Last edited:
Oluf Winge, (1888) Fugle fra Knoglehuler i Brasilien. E Museo Lundii 1 (2): 1-54 is an interesting publication it desctibes bones from the Late Pleistocene of Brasil, with one new species: the Anatidae Chenalopex pugil (now Neochen pugil, tranferred to Neochen Oberholser, 1918 by Brodkorb, 1964).
Several Charadriiformes were described (I use the 1888 nomenclature as used by Winge):

Vanellus cayennensis (Gmelin); Totanus solitarius (Wilson); Tringa maculata Vieillot; Ereunetes pusilis (Linnaeus); Gallinago frenata (now Gallinago paraguaiae (Vieillot); Parra jacana (Linnaeus) and an unidentifies Laridae, but unfortunately, no Thinocoridae.

Fred

Oluf Winge, (1888) Fugle fra Knoglehuler i Brasilien. E Museo Lundii 1 (2): 1-54 is an interesting publication it desctibes bones from the Late Pleistocene of Brasil, with one new species: the Anatidae Chenalopex pugil (now Neochen pugil, tranferred to Neochen Oberholser, 1918 by Brodkorb, 1964).
Several Charadriiformes were described (I use the 1888 nomenclature as used by Winge):

Vanellus cayennensis (Gmelin); Totanus solitarius (Wilson); Tringa maculata Vieillot; Ereunetes pusilis (Linnaeus); Gallinago frenata (now Gallinago paraguaiae (Vieillot); Parra jacana (Linnaeus) and an unidentifies Laridae, but unfortunately, no Thinocoridae.

Fred

Dear Fred, do you know if Brodkorb's "Catalogue of Fossil Birds: Part 2 (Anseriformes through Galliformes)" was published before Delacour's "The Waterfowl of the World" Volume 4 (wich contains Howard's chapter "Fossil Anseriformes")? Both are from 1964 and uses Neochen pugil.

Dear RSN,

The publication date for Brodkorb's "Catalogue of Fossil Birds: Part 2 (Anseriformes through Galliformes)" is 26 june 1964. I don't know the publication date of Delacour's "The Waterfowl of the World" Volume 4 (wich contains Howard's chapter "Fossil Anseriformes").

Pierce Brodkorb doesn't state that Neochen pugil is a new combination, but neither does Hildegarde Howard.
Brodkorb does give a date for the publication of Winge's paper: October 1 1887. (which would make the name of the species Neochen pugil (Winge, 1887).

Fred

Dear RSN,

I don't know where Brodkorb got this information from, he writes

31. Neochen pugil (Winge)
Chenalopex pugil O. Winge, 1887 (Oct. 1), E Museo Lundii, Bind 1. Afh. 2. p. 19,.............

Hildegarde Howard give 1888 ad subsequent authors also give 1888.

I must say, I like your discussion.

Another remark I have to make is: I wrote "(now Neochen pugil, tranferred to Neochen Oberholser, 1918 by Brodkorb, 1964)." but in my notes this is followed by a questionmark because I am not sure whether Brodkorb did transfer the species to Neochen. Howard tells us that Andrews (Ibis 1897 p.350, footnote) believed that the species deserved genetic distinction. from the living Neochen jubata.

Fred

Dear Fred,

It seems that there was no "formal" transfer to the genus Neochen. Howard did note, however, that the species of "Chenalopex" are now recognized as Neochen in South America and Alopochen in Africa.

Chenalopex debilis from Argentina is also mentioned as Neochen debilis in Brodkorb and Howard, with no justification other than the aforementioned note in Howard.

Dear RSN,

If you are right, the formal name of the species would still be Chenalopex pugil Winge, 1888 as the Brodkorb and the Howard names are not formal transfers. But, perhaps an earlier author, unknown to me, has transferred the species to Neochen.

Fred

The only other combination that I found is Alopochen pugil in Rothschild's "Extinct Birds" (1907), without justification, but probably following the placement of Chelanopex jubata and C. aegyptiaca in this then new genus by Stejneger ("The Standard Natural History 4", 1885).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back