• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds and snow tunnels? (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I came across this picture yesterday, and would like to use it in The Opus, if I can find for certain these birds actually do build their own snow tunnels.

I've never heard of it before, but am happy to think it could happen. Googling, so far, hasn't been of any assistance.

Would they 'build their own', or utilise an existing burrow?

Yes, they do - it's well-known for Ptarmigan in particular. They dig their own holes (grouse have stout claws well equipped for the task). I'd doubt you can tell one species' snow hole from anothers' though, unless you see it entering / exiting - you just have to take the photographer's word for it (for all I can see, it could just as easily be a vole hole, or a lemming hole).

Don't know about the Bullfinch claim either.

I believe, among the American game birds, at least Ruffed Grouse do this as well. Nutcracker, I do agree that unless the bird is seen, species ID is impossible, but I do think the tunnel was made (or at least used) by a bird. I seem to be seeing feather impressions (wing and/or tail) in the snow, and I remember reading that some type of grouse (was it Ptarmigan?) fly straight into the snow to create their holes.

I agree that's a wing impression to the right of the hole (and another on the left), and some kind of feather impressions (tail?) in front.

I know various north american and european grouse make tunnels in winter, but have not heard this about bullfinch.

I would think the size of the hole would be some indication of species. A vole hole is going to be around the diameter of a ping-pong ball; I know hazel grouse are pretty small but they're not that small.

Gosh.... you lot don't half have sharp eyes!!!

Thanks for you help with this picture guys.

I think both lines might be wings of the bird. Ones to the left and right of the hole are wing impressions when the bird landed and plopped on the snow. Ones below are left by tips of primaries only, when it took off. Tail feathers would be more lengthwise.

Nice photo, I knew grouse species do it in cold weather, but never seen it myself. I only read that such a tunnel can be quite long and twist a few times, so the bird is some distance from the cold entrance and not at the spot where a predator would expect.

I think the photographer can tell the species - if he/she seen it, and also by the size and what grouse species occur in the place.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back