• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Hi, not posted in a while but always check in. To my amazement this morning i saw my first ever Brambling! Wooh! Stayed on the feeders quite a while and even flew off and came back, so lets hope he's added our garden to his favourites on his sat nav!

Also getting redpolls already and all the usual suspects, seems to be busier than last year already which is all good.

Haven't seen either of them locally yet, though have the nyger out ready!

Along with the usual crows, flickers, and finches, I spotted an odd bird, this morning: it looked completely ordinary, at first glance, but then I noticed its feet, which had both white and black toenails. It was very early, and not bright enough to get a good picture, but I did my best--hoping someone can tell me if this is a new & interesting find, or just a defective sparrow.

Attachments

• wtf_birdie_feets.jpg
    wtf_birdie_feets.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 59
  • what_sparrows.jpg
    what_sparrows.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 66
Hi, not posted in a while but always check in. To my amazement this morning i saw my first ever Brambling! Wooh! Stayed on the feeders quite a while and even flew off and came back, so lets hope he's added our garden to his favourites on his sat nav!

Also getting redpolls already and all the usual suspects, seems to be busier than last year already which is all good.

Well done:t: Nice and early for Redpolls.

Along with the usual crows, flickers, and finches, I spotted an odd bird, this morning: it looked completely ordinary, at first glance, but then I noticed its feet, which had both white and black toenails. It was very early, and not bright enough to get a good picture, but I did my best--hoping someone can tell me if this is a new & interesting find, or just a defective sparrow.

Might be worth posting those pics in the ID thread.

I've got a day to myself tomorrow without the car, so all eyes peeled on the garden.

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk with a collared dove yesterday lunchtime in the garden,pictures taken through patio window.

Attachments

• 212.jpg
    212.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 214.jpg
    214.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 60
sparrowhawk with a collared dove yesterday lunchtime in the garden,pictures taken through patio window.

Brilliant, dont you love it when they mantle their prey like that. Its a while since I have had a female in the garden always seems to be the male of the last few years, so not much chance of him catching bigger sized prey such as Collared Dove..... its the Greenfinch that have to keep on guard in my garden ;)

Last edited:
Today didn't go as planned, but an hour at breakfast and 30 mins at dusk produced single Lesser Redpoll (first of season), single Siskin, Wren, 6 LTTs, GSW along with the usuals.

well done with the first Lssr Redpoll Bongo

Still a little quiet here although a lone (very pale and pale headed) Buzzard was harrassed overhead, (I tried for some images but got long distant blobs), the male Sparrowhawk got that close to the house I thought it was coming into the kitchen.

another Greenfinch gone to the Sparrowhawk, it maybe a long winter for these guys

There have been very few birds in our yards for a while because of a Cooper's Hawk that's moved in next door. However, a cold front is arriving and already brought us a Red-breasted Nuthatch and a Yellow-rumped Warbler. So I'm hoping things pick up soon.
Jeff

Six Lesser Redpoll resting up the tree this morning :) A single male appeared on the nyger for a few weeks in July and October but this is the first flock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back