• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (1 Viewer)

For HMW fans. Make your decision ;)

http://www.lynxeds.com/surveyhmw

Thanks Melanie, I had not seen this yet. Definitely two volumes, as far as I am concerned. On the other hand, I would not want a further expansion. But this one had to come if any kind of consistency of quality should be maintained. Having those less than optimal primate plates should not be repeated. But I guess, it will even with two volumes not be possible to illustrate every rodent species in decent quality. So we'll see what they do about that.

Going by previous experience, I presume it will take another three to four weeks for my volume 5 to arrive.

Last edited:
I wonder if HMW will run into the same problem with bats?

I am not sure if anybody from the editorial team is reading this, but I would really count the space, and perhaps consider the books like:
- rodents 1;
- rodents 2 + part insectivores,
- rest of insectivores + bats 1,
- bats 2.

I think Rodents II will be heavey enough (as it contents all true murids). One volume for insectivores will be enough (450 species) but two volumes for bats (900 species) would be great.

I received the marsupials volume today. This is a very good book with a lot of photos of rare and poorly known species from New Guinea and South America.
The plates are splendid even for the smallest mouse-like marsupials (that was my fear). A lot of subspecies are illustrated too. There is also a section about the recently extinct species. Overall it is a great quality book.

I voted for two volumes for the Rodents even if it's mean that I will have to wait longer to get the bats volume that I expect since a long time. I still think they made a mistake to dedicate one volume to the marine mammals when the pinnipeds could have been merged in Volume 1 and the other species in Volume 2

I heard rumors of a Handbook of Reptiles and Amphibians after the Mammals, is it true ?

....I voted for two volumes for the Rodents even if it's mean that I will have to wait longer to get the bats volume.........

I would hope that the two volumes could be published relatively close together. Much of the preparatory work will have to go in parallel anway. Main problem might be how long it takes to do the additional plates in the desired high quality.

I would hope that the two volumes could be published relatively close together. Much of the preparatory work will have to go in parallel anway. Main problem might be how long it takes to do the additional plates in the desired high quality.

I wonder how many artists they will need to hire.
Toni Llobet is going to have a burn-out if he has to illustrate the 2000 rodents species alone :eek!:

Volume 5: WOW!!

Got my copy of volume 5 today, much earlier than anticipated. And - to me - this may well be the highlight of the series so far. :t::t:

I have been awed by each of the previous volumes. But this one contains so many eye openers to me. I had always been aware that there is more to marsupials than kangaroos in Australia and opossums in the Americas. But this now demonstrated diversity is just stunning. I particularly love the various obvious examples of convergent evolution when comparing with the placental mammals. It gets to the point where I find the kangaroos the most "boring" group within the marsupials. And they have always intrigued me.

Praise goes to Toni Llobet, the plate illustrator, once again! :t:

And the selection of photographs is truly incredible. Going through the book also sorely reminds me of some species I would have so loved to see on my only trip to Australia. But then, birds had priority and I am still happy about that species list.

I could get envious when I see that so many of you already got their copies. I still have to wait until July. The most interesting group for me is the genus Antechinus. First the total number of species increased rapidly within a few years (see e.g. Strahan & Van Dyck 2008 for comparison). Another point is the sex life. The only purpose of existence of an adult male Antechinus is to mate itself to death.

BTW: Only one week before the publishing of HMW5 one new Antechinus species (Antechinus vandycki) was described and one Antechinus mimetes (previously synonymized with Antechinus swaynsonii) was elevated to a valid species.

I think the Insectivores volume should be renamed because neither the Colugos nor the Edentata belong to that group. Or they should create a special volume which include mammals that were previously excluded and possibly new species.

I think the Insectivores volume should be renamed because neither the Colugos nor the Edentata belong to that group. Or they should create a special volume which include mammals that were previously excluded and possibly new species.

I did not even know about the existence of Colugos! So had to look them up. Fascinating creatures. Thanks for mentioning them.

And yes, definitely no Insectivores. So maybe, the volume(s) should be renamed Insectivores, Colugos and Edentata.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back