• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (1 Viewer)

Hi Alan seems I have missed you today and yes I have never seen so many beeaters as this summer.Everywhere you go there are groups up to fifty in number and I can hear some passing the house during the night.I will undoubtedly catch up with you at some time regards ....Eddy.

I spent the whole day at Algarrobo observation point Algeciras yesterday and although the low cloud and poor photographic conditions would have disuaded many I am glad I stayed.Altogether during the day 18,095 birds of prey were counted of these 14.430 were honey buzzards.It was spectacular and the most Egyptian vultures I have seen 159,together with Short toed eagles,booted eagles,great numbers of bee eaters,swallows,alpine common and pallid swifts,one black stork and the now regular appearance of a Rupell´s vulture made this the best day in my 20 odd years of migration watching.
Also reported as being seen on Saturday at La Janda a Saker falcon.The wind has changed since yesterday with westerlies coming through but I suspect that the migration will continue and Cazalla observation point could be the place to be today.
I shall be out again today and look forward to meeting any BF members who are down this way....Eddy
Regarding the saker report on Saturday, Eddy.

I was approached by a Romanian birder today at Trafico, who asked if I'd been to la Janda. I told him I was there yesterday and told him what I'd seen - which wasn't much. He started to tell me about a large falcon he'd seen there a couple of days ago and I told him that there'd been a saker reported.

He was overjoyed because when he saw the bird he thought if he'd seen the same bird in Romania he'd have no hesitation in calling it a saker, but he was doubting himself because he realised that although still a rarity here, a lanner would be more likely. He wasn't convinced about it being lanner though. He's a happy chap about the other report.

We arrived yesterday and are in the Vejer region as usual.

As commented by Eddy there seems to be a remarkable number of bee-eaters around with at least 50 over the Casa this afternoon. Looking forward to taking a few more birds in when I get the chance.

I was at the Algarrobo site yesterday and although numbers were not great the variety was brilliant.The morning for me started at 8.45 with a lone juvenile Montague´s harrier and then slowly honey buzzards short toed eagles appeared but with light easterly these birds went along the ridge flying west.The day continued with sardinian warbler barn swallow flocks of blue tits,yellow wagtails,beeaters,sparrowhawk,raven,spotted flycatcher, common kestrel,booted eagle,common swift,hoopoe,griffon vulture,common buzzard,black kite, 2 ruppells vultures,egyptian vultures,osprey,marsh harrier,black stork and as I was putting the kit away a juvenile spanish imperial and a bonnell´s eagle overflew the site.
Altogether 15 birds of prey in about six hours.As I said quality not quantity.Regards ...Eddy

That carcass by the penitentiary road seems to have been thoroughly tidied up Eddy. The griffons were loafing about when we left at 11.30, but with little aerial activity as I was saying this morning. I bumped into Javi this afternoon and thanked him for the tip-off yesterday. When I drove past half an hour ago there wasn't a vulture to be seen.

Thank you Alan not much happened after you left yesterday.I will be at Algarrobo later today about 1ish.Highlight for me yesterday was a juvenile red kite which flew out of the trees at 8.45am....Eddy

I am arriving at Tarifa on Wednesday lunchtime and look forward to bumping into anybody either down on the coastal boardwalks or around Tarifa. I am on foot so will tend to stick around the unopened migration centre and the lookouts on the adjacent hills. I might manage to get to some of the viewing points further afield but that depends on transport/buses etc. Either way i am looking forward to seeing what comes through, some decent weather, nice food and a fewB :)B :)B :)

I am 5 days @ Tarifa, 4 at Cadiz, 5 back @ Tarifa and a last day and night over at old Malaga.

Laurie:t:

Hi Laurie,I am away in Huelva until Friday but look out for the red Kia 4x4 at the watchpoints as I will be out and about at the weekend.Regards ...Eddy

Not much to report from yesterday lack of wind in the morning meant that the birds continued along the top ridge at Algarrobo,mainly honey buzzards the wind did pick up a little to bring Egyptian vultures and an osprey closer to hand but it was slow progress.
This was even more frustrating for the SEO group which had come to see the spectacle,over fifty on a bus and with the many others that were there it was literally standing room only.I might get out for a few hours later before I prepare for my three day trip to the Odiel marismas in Huelva on Tuesday.....Eddy

I look forward to bumping into you, this year, Eddie! And anybody else that is about. I do tend to stick around the areas i mentioned as there is lots of scrub etc to look for birds and a creek that runs back into Tarifa that has some drinking-type pools.

I am surprised at the sparce postings of movement etc but i appreciate that only a few of the birders around will be BF members and or have internet access. i shall post daily from the hostel in Tarifa where will be billeted for the two 5-day visits.

Laurie:t:

Plenty of movement yesterday (20th) notably of large numbers of Black Storks and Egyptian Vultures. The blustery conditions were holding them back so I have no doubt that there should be reports of significant numbers today.

About a dozen Greater Flamingos on Barbate saltpans and similar numbers of Stone Curlew. No signs of Marsh Sandpiper today although the haze was quite fierce.

Can anybody summarise the locations of the best viewpoints for watching autumn migration - staying in Tarifa - but have hired a car. Arriving today 30th Sept - leaving Wed 7th Oct

Please excuse if this listed previously - havent got time to look through posts!

Thanks
JOy

1 – El Algarrabo (Km 99) approach from Algeciras – a very tricky sharp right onto a narrow rough track - look out for flagpoles on hillside & turn by 80 kph sign.
2 - Mirador de Estrecho – classic tourist stop (from the east), but good for birds too!
3 - Cazalla (Km 87) - 'temporary' watchpoint on the south of the road approached from Tarifa up a rough track. There’s a purpose built centre north of the road approached from Algeciras but is often fenced off – check locally. THE classic watchpoint.
4 –Trafico etc (Km 85) – approach from Tarifa along old military road. Trafico is on the rdge, but there’s an excellent site with new raptor watching centre (not yet open I think) – cover here is excellent for passerine migrants
5 - Playa de los Lances – pull off opposite the CEPSA petrol station or first right as you enter Tarifa from the west. Raptor migration plus Short-toed Lark Tawny Pipit, waders, Auduoin's Gull and THE site for rare migrant Lesser Crested Tern
6 - Puerto de Bolonia at the top of the ridge here hosts an ‘official’ raptor watchpoint. In stronger easterly winds, there can be a good passage of raptors.
Huerte Grande just west of El Pelayo has a good information centre & venta. Paths down to coast. More details in my notes which are available online or via email (PM me with your email if needed).

Attachments

• BoPPassage.png
    BoPPassage.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 64
Anything going on lately for migration or in La Janda? This thread has gone a bit quiet. The weather has been so bad lately I assume they've all gone already?

I had a quick drive through La Janda yesterday on my return from Bonanza and with the rice harvest now in full swing there were not too many birds about.However saw 3 marsh harriers and a great white egret but nothing else of note.
Very few BOP`s now on migration but continuing vulture migration south.Many seabirds travelling from Med to Atlantic and with strong winds passing reasonably close to the shore.I hope this helps ....Eddy

Good news - after a seven year delay (!) work has now started on a proper access road up to Cazalla watchpoint (via Javi Elorriaga) so access will no longer be regularly compromised. Let's hope it's all sorted out soon and the building there finally gets used for educational purposes.

Good news - after a seven year delay (!) work has now started on a proper access road up to Cazalla watchpoint (via Javi Elorriaga) so access will no longer be regularly compromised. Let's hope it's all sorted out soon and the building there finally gets used for educational purposes.

Good news indeed. Even better news would be that they've finally finished it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back