• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (1 Viewer)

They might get a bit of traction for a modern product with a stylish retro design, as we see in a lot of higher end mirrorless cameras. However I think most will still purchase on price/performance. If they aren't robustly waterproof I think they will be a niche product.

For me I think they need to price at or below Conquest / Trinovid HD / Nikon HG / etc to really compete much.

Definitely so, this is a retro design statement,
but Leica don't seem to compete with price, just look at their cameras and Noctivid.

If they have better optics than Trinovid HD/Conquest I will happily pay the price, but I suspect they are not close enough to the UVHD+.

A compact and light 7x35 is a bit fun though.

Ugh. The 8x32 Ultravid HD (non +, which is essentially identical in performance to its successor) is still available new in USA for under $1400.

--AP

ER just don't work for me on the 8x32 UVHD.

And 7x35 is a nicer format IMO, and they are still not heavy.

I suspect that the optics will not be as stellar as the UV:s though.

If they are worth the price will be interesting to see.

but Leica don't seem to compete with price, just look at their cameras and Noctivid.

Yes but the Noctivid does compete, arguably, with the SV and Victory SF on performance. And among digital cameras, Leica has a mixed history of truly excellent cameras at premium prices (analogous to the Noctivid, perhaps), and very mediocre cameras with retro styling and a little red dot that have been commercial flops.

Yes but the Noctivid does compete, arguably, with the SV and Victory SF on performance. And among digital cameras, Leica has a mixed history of truly excellent cameras at premium prices (analogous to the Noctivid, perhaps), and very mediocre cameras with retro styling and a little red dot that have been commercial flops

Do you mean the Digilux that to all intent and purpose was a Panasonic with a very limited Leica zoom lens attached?

Re the new Trini bins I still don't see the point.

LGM

Last edited:
For current cameras, the Leica Q (116) is a great camera at a premium price. Undeniably one of the best mirrorless fixed lens cameras at the moment, and elegant and ergonomic and classic. Value is for each to decide as the camera's MSRP is $4250.

However, Leica's lineup is rife with rebadged products that charge many hundreds of $ extra for the red dot, such as the D-Lux (a rebadged Panasonic LX-100 which is a great camera minus dust issues, but Leica adds almost no value, just a dot and a slightly longer warranty but charges a 75% premium). All these products really devalue Leica's actual premium offerings in my view.

At least the new bins are not rebadged physically identical versions of another model, I guess.

Re the new Trini bins I still don't see the point.

LGM

Then read the press release:;)

"Back in the 1960s the developers of Ernst Leitz GmbH marketed the original Trinovid line with the slogan: “A pair of binoculars as an object for daily use means that you can take it everywhere you go.” The new Leica Trinovid meets this standard uncompromisingly. “Light and slim design, precise and modern optics with state-of-the-art materials, improved transmission, sharpness and contrast make the Leica Trinovid a modern icon”, says Nanette Roland, Leica Sport Optics Product Manager responsible for the development."

Typical customer is probably a Leica camera owner that wants a pair of lightweight bins for casual use.

Last edited:
These may meet with some success for their elegance (that the Noctivid and Trinovid HD lost compared to the beautiful Ultravid – maybe deliberately to make room for these?), but as usual the prices don’t make sense to me. This is especially the case while Ultravid binoculars (including leather-clad ones) remain available.

All the same, the 7x35 offers a usefully different specification from other binoculars. And the 40 mm models are unusually light.

Can they be meaningfully filled with nitrogen without also being properly waterproof?

These may meet with some success for their elegance (that the Noctivid and Trinovid HD lost compared to the beautiful Ultravid – maybe deliberately to make room for these?), but as usual the prices don’t make sense to me. This is especially the case while Ultravid binoculars (including leather-clad ones) remain available.

All the same, the 7x35 offers a usefully different specification from other binoculars. And the 40 mm models are unusually light.

Can they be meaningfully filled with nitrogen without also being properly waterproof?

They are not nitrogen-purged, from the manual:

"The Leica Trinovid binoculars have a splashwater-proof aluminum chassis. They should therefore be protected from heavy rain and moisture, for example in the carrying case included in the scope of delivery. If the internal lenses fog, storage in dry rooms or near sources of heat can make the moisture escape from the binoculars. We do not advise drying the binoculars in microwaves or ovens because this can cause considerable damage to the protective casing and other non-metallic or glass elements."

I like the design and the retro-idea, but I would certainly buy only on price and performance.

I like what I see so far. That is for the 7x35 only, of course: 150 m FOV, 550 g and 5 mm EP is very attractive, I have to say. If optics and easy of view turn out to be good, I might even accept the strong (for me) disadvantage of not being waterproof.

As for the 8x40 and 10x40, I do share the non-exitements of others. Specs are not better than any of the other similary priced Trinovid HDs or Ultravid BLs. Lightweight can be had in the 83s and the retro-look in the Ultravid BLs

Last edited:
It's clearly a mistake, and I think they already corrected the spec sheets on the website (which initially also said nitrogen purged), the pdf is still wrong though. Pity, I was hoping for the mistake being the splash proof.

Well, they’ve only had months to get these basic publications right. We can forgive them a few remaining mistakes.

What else is wrong?

If they have better optics than Trinovid HD/Conquest I will happily pay the price, but I suspect they are not close enough to the UVHD+.

A compact and light 7x35 is a bit fun though.

They need to learn how to compete with Swaro and Zeiss in the customer service and warranty departments in order to be taken seriously in the USA market. The only Leica's I see come into our camps, ever, are the occasional Geovids.

15mm ER too short for me unfortunately.
7x35 looks real nice.

That was my first thought (I usually need 16mm), but the eye cups looks quite shallow so I still have some hope that it might work.

Just wonder what the focuser will be like. Is it as stiff and slow as on my old 8x30 Zeiss Dialyt (very similar design) the Trinovids might not be the optimal birding bins.

That was my first thought (I usually need 16mm), but the eye cups looks quite shallow so I still have some hope that it might work.

Just wonder what the focuser will be like. Is it as stiff and slow as on my old 8x30 Zeiss Dialyt (very similar design) the Trinovids might not be the optimal birding bins.

Yeah I'm gonna pass on it. It's about 1500 usd and I need to save my money for new eyeglasses next month anyway. I'm due for my 2 yr. checkup and already know I need a new prescription.

Also, I was out this morning (saw a new warbler) using my 7x42 and was reminded how I don't need another bino. I have 6x32 as well, so I'm covered with 2 nice bins. It's just that it's Leica so I got a little excited there.

I still have foolish hope some brand will come out with a nice 7x32 someday. I'll probably grab one if available since sometimes the little 6x32 viper feels like not quite enough power.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back