• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's going on here? (1 Viewer)

Try sliding a snug fitting ring on your finger and see how hard it is to pull off when the muscle tissue moves towards the knuckle. Easy in, very hard out.

Ed

So why are they putting their heads through the fence, I'm not interested in the physics more the behaviour.

There is no food there, nothing obvious to attract them but they continually get stuck and have to be rescued.

A

Could that spar under their heads be catching falling seeds ?
It looks wide enough to do so.
Also are these young birds ?
If so it could just be the result of trying to balance on top of fence.
They are far more likely to be sliding, down head one side,body other side, than just pushing their heads through.
There is nowhere for them to perch while pushing their heads through,
I'd guess fence is near nesting site with good numbers of young birds still not great at balancing on perches.

Could that spar under their heads be catching falling seeds ?
It looks wide enough to do so.
Also are these young birds ?
If so it could just be the result of trying to balance on top of fence.
They are far more likely to be sliding, down head one side,body other side, than just pushing their heads through.
There is nowhere for them to perch while pushing their heads through,
I'd guess fence is near nesting site with good numbers of young birds still not great at balancing on perches.

Crows are ssaid to be fairly intelligent as birds go, surely they approach any seed or food stuff from ther othe side and at least learn, where they're going wrong.

This guy has to free them every day.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back