• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neck collared Bewick's Swan (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Hi All,
I am trying to find the origins of a reported neck collared Bewick's Swan seen last week in Lothian.
The bird was seen amongst Whoopers and had a Green neck collar with silver writing with the first digit either 3 or 402P.
This is a very interesting record as there hasnt been a Bewick's Swan to my knowledge in Lothian in around 10 years so very keen to track this bird down.
Has anyone any knowledge of neck collar sites similar to the colour ringing site cr-birding.
cheers.

Birdspotter said:
Hi All,
I am trying to find the origins of a reported neck collared Bewick's Swan seen last week in Lothian.
The bird was seen amongst Whoopers and had a Green neck collar with silver writing with the first digit either 3 or 402P.
This is a very interesting record as there hasnt been a Bewick's Swan to my knowledge in Lothian in around 10 years so very keen to track this bird down.
Has anyone any knowledge of neck collar sites similar to the colour ringing site cr-birding.
cheers.

Calum, best to contact the Wildowl & Wetlands Trust for this. Email to [email protected]. I'd be very interested to hear what you get back, given the scarcity of Bewick's Swan in Scotland. Cheers and Merry Christmas, Paul

Birdspotter said:
Hi All,
cheers.

You could try Jenny Earle at WWT Slimbridge - she deals with all the ringed and neck collard Whoopers and Bewicks - [email protected]

Cheers Kane

Fair Islander said:
Calum, best to contact the Wildowl & Wetlands Trust for this. Email to [email protected]. I'd be very interested to hear what you get back, given the scarcity of Bewick's Swan in Scotland. Cheers and Merry Christmas, Paul

Hi Paul & Kanebrides

The bird was seen up at Bavelaw in amongst a group of Whoopers and was reported as such in the hide book, observer unknown to me.
As such,dont even know if it was a Bewicks, hence very keen to get info back on it.
Off for two weeks tommorrow so will have a look a few times I suspect.
I was looking on the web last night and found plenty of info on neck collared Bewick's, but they all had yellow collars.
I was wondering about other species/sub species also and found a picture of a Whistling Swan with what looks like a green collar !
I should have thought about Jenny Earle at WWT Kanebrides as I have had correspondance with her in the past, I will try there.
Finally Mr Baxter got your card today thanks.
Thinking about 10 days on FI next autumn so might see you there.
cheers
Birddipper (the birder formerly known as Birdspotter)

Hi There Spotter.
The Bewick in Fife/Loch Leven is sporting a ring which is Blue 302P. It has been present from the 27th Janruary but I have only just read the ring and I had to use some pretty unsubtle methods of field craft to get close to the bird to read the ring. The collar is quite tight and feathering gets in the way making it hard to read. I was'nt sure it was'nt a Whooper when it appeared because the bird was always distant.

This is probably a russian ringed bird. There have been several at Loch Leven over the years.
I seem to remember trapping some at Carlaverock several years ago.

I've got the info back on the Bewick but I am unable to upload the data because it in xls format. It is an impresive ringing return. The bird was rung in 1992 in the Pechora Delta and it is not the first time it has been seen north of the border. It has been seen in both Fife and P+K before in 2001. It also spent time at WWT Slimbridge in 1996. If anyone wants to see the spreadsheet PM me and i will e-mail it accross.

Woodchatshrike said:
Hi There Spotter.
The Bewick in Fife/Loch Leven is sporting a ring which is Blue 302P. It has been present from the 27th Janruary but I have only just read the ring and I had to use some pretty unsubtle methods of field craft to get close to the bird to read the ring. The collar is quite tight and feathering gets in the way making it hard to read. I was'nt sure it was'nt a Whooper when it appeared because the bird was always distant.

This is the Lothian bird, although I stated that the observer had written a green neck collar the coincidence is too strong.
Seems it has a bit of a history up here, send it back please so i can year tick it.

It might have come back already. I hav'nt seen it for a couple of days up here though I hav'nt been looking very hard. You don't get many Bewicks these days. I think there was only one I saw reported last year.

Woodchatshrike said:
It might have come back already. I hav'nt seen it for a couple of days up here though I hav'nt been looking very hard. You don't get many Bewicks these days. I think there was only one I saw reported last year.

The above bird was the first in Lothian in 10 yrs !

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back