• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

What a Father's Day present: a Norfolk Roller!!!

Dear Mr Roller

I am glad to hear that you have decided to come and visit Norfolk. I hope that you are enjoying yourself and decide to stay for another day or two. Perhaps if you have the time we could meet up tomorrow morning for a coffee?

best wishes, Postcardcv

I heard that Pete Colston found (or re-found) it...
MJB

A distant shot from where it was relocated, across the B1149 and on Holt Lowes.

Pete Colston did find it, so thanks to him.
and our own Mr Furse refound it, so (even more) thanks to him also!
Also I'd like to thank Mr Nixon for the heads up and extra help on site.
Messers Bhalerao and McDonald for beginning 'the' chain, and Mr Appleton (and Smith) for putting up with me before I'd seen the bird ... and of course Leila!!

What a bird! Well worth the money!

Last edited:
Twitched the Roller from Trimley Marshes – a seriously crazy double twitch! Must be one of my best day's ever!!! Still there at 9.30pm. Thanks to Connor for the call, others who helped to re-find it and Steve G. for the lift! I can't really put today into words!!! I am so happy I could cry!

Full update and pictures on blog - well a couple this evening. Only just home at 11pm.

Penny:girl:

Lovely Roller this evening, shame about the midges! Probably the first "good" night for them this year?

Very distant (Not sure why I bothered with a camera!) but nice to see outside of Spain regardless, even if the scenery wasn't as remarkable.

A great find.

Last edited:
Roller Zone

http://www.northnorfolk.org/files/Holt_Country_Park_Leaflet.pdf

Above is the link to a leaflet with a map of Holt Country Park.

I’m puzzled that the Roller was (and is) being described as IN the Park. At no time yesterday (and, it seems, so far, today) has it been within its boundaries. This will cause confusion to potential visitors and the park rangers.

It was on Holt Lowes in the afternoon and evening: http://www.holtlowes.org.uk/Lowes location.html

It was, apparently, discovered in a clearing currently being worked on in Edgefield Woods, viewable from the B1149- and seems to have flown back there a couple of times.

As far as I could see, it flies off, if approached within c100m. There is plenty of suitable habitat for it- with scattered trees, as perches, and lots of open space and dry ground, in and on which to feed.

Last edited:
Twitched the Roller from Trimley Marshes – a seriously crazy double twitch! Must be one of my best day's ever!!! Still there at 9.30pm. Thanks to Connor for the call, others who helped to re-find it and Steve G. for the lift! I can't really put today into words!!! I am so happy I could cry!

Lovely post Penny.

It summed up in one short paragraph, how uplifting this wonderful hobby of ours can be at times. For those dedicated enough, it really is an emotional rollercoaster ride of craziness, frustration, good times and bad times but when its good its VERY good and absolutely worth waiting for.

This is slightly leading up to a lesser, but very nice bird experience for me this morning. At 8.25 I was delivering the letters as usual in Long Stratton when a Rook alarm call alerted me to the presence of a very low down Red Kite wandering north over the village. I've seen several Red Kites in my area over the years but this was the first one I've actually observed over the centre of the village which was great. And then for an encore a Hobby followed it in the same direction 30 minutes later! The kite was in an advanced wing moult and was missing practically all the secondaries on its left wing in case anyone picks up this particular individual anywhere else.

Steve

Last edited:
Roller

Was in the trees both sides of the B1149 this morning, was lucky enough to be fairly close when Sue Bryan spotted the bird on the tree behind me on the West side of the B1149.

Managed to get this video of such a fantastic bird.

Roller Video

I see on RBA that the roller is still around this morning, hopefully it will hang about as I can't get out until this evening... that is a superb bit of video Gary.

A few images from my trip to Winterton at the weekend to see the Little terns - the bird presenting the sand eel (I assume that it's a sand eel) was having a very frustrating time; I saw him try at least three birds without success before being disturbed by a dog (off-lead, believe it or not). As a PS, I don't know if he visits Bird Forum but big thanks to the warden on duty while I was there for letting me shelter from what the weather forecast described as an "occasional shower, possibly heavy" ie a downpour.

Attachments

• 9060141411_93fc554f91_o.jpg
    9060141411_93fc554f91_o.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 9062368256_345a5b2256_o.jpg
    9062368256_345a5b2256_o.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 9062368178_3ed3cee394_o.jpg
    9062368178_3ed3cee394_o.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 93
A few images from my trip to Winterton at the weekend to see the Little terns - the bird presenting the sand eel (I assume that it's a sand eel) was having a very frustrating time; I saw him try at least three birds without success before being disturbed by a dog (off-lead, believe it or not). As a PS, I don't know if he visits Bird Forum but big thanks to the warden on duty while I was there for letting me shelter from what the weather forecast described as an "occasional shower, possibly heavy" ie a downpour.

Lovely photos, Ricky. They are beautiful birds, really can't believe how idiotic people can be letting a dog off near them.

Dear Mr Roller

I am glad to hear that you have decided to come and visit Norfolk. I hope that you are enjoying yourself and decide to stay for another day or two. Perhaps if you have the time we could meet up tomorrow morning for a coffee?

best wishes, Postcardcv

I know the morning went pear shaped but hope you get it this afternoon!

Titchwell June 17th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 4 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 1st summer on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – female with brood in reedbed
Little gull – 6 on fresh marsh
Knot – 1000 roosting on fresh marsh

Paul

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 4 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 1st summer on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – female with brood in reedbed
Little gull – 6 on fresh marsh
Knot – 1000 roosting on fresh marsh

Paul

Paul - is this an unusually high number of Knot for mid June?

9km from my abode, as the Roller flies. I do believe a couple walked from their house in Holt. Less than 100m from the car, to view. Can’t be bad.

Another distant shot; this time, showing the underwings.

Attachments

• 086pse.jpg
    086pse.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 251

Users who are viewing this thread

Back