• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

Good luck Peter - it has been great working and birding with you on Tuesdays and I have also been interested in your observations on the forum.

Had an enjoyable couple of hours at the Flashes today. Highlights included the 8 avocet plus little egret, snipe and curlew. Thank you to Bob O for his company - we reckoned that the lapwing flock was around 200 to 250 birds, which seems very significant. Would be interested in John Belsey's view on the high numbers?

Hi Janette
Usually the numbers drop off with the first signs of spring in early March. Numbers these days are much reduced from the heady days in the 80's when we have had 3000+, This years max were in the 400's. Some early displaying the other day, might mean we will get some breeding birds this year. So 250 is a reasonable number these days :t:John

Today's Highlights

Moors Pool:

Avocet(8), Oystercatcher(3), Snipe(9), Little Egret, Grey Heron(2), Cormorant(24), Tufted Duck(39), Shoveler(37), Pochard(16 inc 4 females), Teal(12), Shelduck(4), Gadwall(2), GC Grebe(10), Little Grebe (at least 4), Mute Swan(2), Greylag(12), BHG(130+), LBBG, Herring Gull(2), Buzzard(4), Kestrel, Cetti's(2 singing males), Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Lesser Redpoll(2)

Tim O also had a Grey Wagtail along the Salwarpe and another Little Egret was reported in addition to the one I saw.

Flashes:

Lapwing(c250), Curlew(16), Snipe(8), Little Egret, Cormorant(2), Teal(55), Shelduck(5), Tufted Duck(2), Mute Swan(2), BHG(400+), LBBG(2), Buzzard(2),
Linnet(c30), Redwing(c10), Fieldfare, Stock Dove(2)

8 Avocet & 3 Oyks were seen over this side - I am assuming that these were the same birds as seen at the Flashes.

Sailing Pool:

Tufted Duck(6), GC Grebe(2), Cormorant(2)

I would elaborate further but there is a documentary on 70s Post Punk band Joy Division about to start on BBC4.:t::t::t:

Moors Pool:

Avocet(8), Oystercatcher(3), Snipe(9), Little Egret, Grey Heron(2), Cormorant(24), Tufted Duck(39), Shoveler(37), Pochard(16 inc 4 females), Teal(12), Shelduck(4), Gadwall(2), GC Grebe(10), Little Grebe (at least 4), Mute Swan(2), Greylag(12), BHG(130+), LBBG, Herring Gull(2), Buzzard(4), Kestrel, Cetti's(2 singing males), Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Lesser Redpoll(2)

Tim O also had a Grey Wagtail along the Salwarpe and another Little Egret was reported in addition to the one I saw.

Flashes:

Lapwing(c250), Curlew(16), Snipe(8), Little Egret, Cormorant(2), Teal(55), Shelduck(5), Tufted Duck(2), Mute Swan(2), BHG(400+), LBBG(2), Buzzard(2),
Linnet(c30), Redwing(c10), Fieldfare, Stock Dove(2)

8 Avocet & 3 Oyks were seen over this side - I am assuming that these were the same birds as seen at the Flashes.

Sailing Pool:

Tufted Duck(6), GC Grebe(2), Cormorant(2)

I would elaborate further but there is a documentary on 70s Post Punk band Joy Division about to start on BBC4.:t::t::t:
Thanks Andy for the report and just for you and me :t:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No

A true sign of spring and justification of continually counting them and all the other species throughout the year.:t:

Important to continually count throughout the day as well. There were 10 at the Flashes early afternoon, and 13 later on. It was only just before dusk when the count reached the final total of 16!

see thee lad

forget latin thats proper speak, all the best with the move (hope it works out better than mine;)) as for verns latin fair enough but ain't belsey been using it for his reports ever since he got that phone!! all the best i bet your gonna be the new morse!!

Important to continually count throughout the day as well. There were 10 at the Flashes early afternoon, and 13 later on. It was only just before dusk when the count reached the final total of 16!

back in the 80's when numbers were between 80 and 120 the curlews never arrived until almost dark.....we then known as the 'curlew counters'

forget latin thats proper speak, all the best with the move (hope it works out better than mine;)) as for verns latin fair enough but ain't belsey been using it for his reports ever since he got that phone!! all the best i bet your gonna be the new morse!!

eh up thow..aint thee alwess spaking latin

enjoyable few hours yesterday, lots of entertainment with territorial and pairing birds, BHGs diving the Little Egret(flashes),Mute Swans and GCG(Moors) good numbers of Tufted, Pochard and Shoveler too.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    577.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0424 (2).JPG
    IMG_0424 (2).JPG
    639 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    688.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    781 KB · Views: 110
February draws to a close with a month list of 82 species and the year list advanced to 90.

Potential additions to the year list in March include:

Marsh Harrier
Little Ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Yellow-legged Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Little Owl
Swallow
Sand Martin
Stonechat
Wheatear
Blackcap
Willow Warbler
Coal Tit
Brambling
Yellowhammer

When I am back off holiday I will post some stats about how often summer migrants have occurred in March in previous years.

A couple of phone images from this morning. I think a few of us with be nursing stiff backs in the morning.

Good company as always on top of the tasty sausage roll and lemon drizzle.

Fingers crossed for a great spring.

Attachments

• IMG_7958.JPG
    IMG_7958.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7961.JPG
    IMG_7961.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7962.JPG
    IMG_7962.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7963.JPG