• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron F-ED Pics (1 Viewer)

TheBirdGarden

I don't have the money
I have noticed that hardly anyone uses this scope or even showing their pics uses this scope despite its good reviews.

I believe it can take better pictures than this, I plan to upgrade my camera soon besides I am completely hopeless with a camera. Tried taking a pictures of my pet yesterday and it kept focusing on the background XD.

These Photos have been taken with:

Canon Powershot S70
Celestron F-ED 80mm

(You may have seen these already)

Attachments

• House Sparrow 001N.jpg
    House Sparrow 001N.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 872
  • Cormorant 005N.jpg
    Cormorant 005N.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 898
  • Dunlin 001N.jpg
    Dunlin 001N.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 936
If I was going to buy a spotting then the F-ED 80 is the one I'd very likely go for as I like complete control over my eyepiece. I used to modify old spotting scopes by grafting on my own astro eyepieces and this will generally turn any scope into a good one, especially for visual use and not bad for digiscoping too.

What eyepieces are you using out of interest?

Paul.

If I was going to buy a spotting then the F-ED 80 is the one I'd very likely go for as I like complete control over my eyepiece. I used to modify old spotting scopes by grafting on my own astro eyepieces and this will generally turn any scope into a good one, especially for visual use and not bad for digiscoping too.

What eyepieces are you using out of interest?

Paul.

I use the eyepiece that comes with the scope as standard. I would love to explore the vast variety of eyepieces that can fit on the Celestron Scope but there are two reasons for that

1) Not too sure what's the best

2)Sticking with the standard eyepiece because I can fit the camera right onto the scope via a thread.

Here are some more pics from this scope.

I am planning to get the Canon S90, its perfect and I can get an adapter to make it attach to the scope perfectly.

Attachments

• Cormorant 006N.jpg
    Cormorant 006N.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 618
  • Blackbird 003N.jpg
    Blackbird 003N.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 619
  • Black Headed Gull 001N.jpg
    Black Headed Gull 001N.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 688
Is the standard eyepiece the 20-60X zoom? Also what size thread is on the eyepiece for mounting an adapter to? The photos are pretty good if it is the zoom eyepiece.

Some decent eyepieces I have digiscoped with that are threaded are the William Optics DCL-28 and the Baader Hyperion range (bit heavy though). The DCL-28 is so called because it has a 28mm thread, the focal length is 24mm which would give 20X mag on the F-ED 80mm.

Paul.

Yes it is the 20-60X zoom the thread is 25mm just like the Ultima versions.

Thanks for those recommendations, so would you know if these work with the F-ED? I know some eyepieces have compatibility issues just like all scopes. Would they also give me a telephoto type view?

Last edited:
They are good photos, that would make me think about buying the scope.
I eventually opted for the nikon ed82 because it was safer, seen plenty of photos taken with it, no bad reviews.
With the f ed I believe there was inconsistency with samples plus, like you have observed, I couldn't find any examples of photos taken with the scope

They are good photos, that would make me think about buying the scope.
I eventually opted for the nikon ed82 because it was safer, seen plenty of photos taken with it, no bad reviews.
With the f ed I believe there was inconsistency with samples plus, like you have observed, I couldn't find any examples of photos taken with the scope

Thanks, If I wasn't such a cheap skate I would have opted for a more expensive scope but I turned to this one because reviews have shown their surprise on how good the Celestron Regal was and from a comparison of scopes this one actually came out on top from all the scopes under £1000.

Unless unlisted I think I am the only one that has photos on the gallery using this scope for digiscoping

Yes it is the 20-60X zoom the thread is 25mm just like the Ultima versions.

Thanks for those recommendations, so would you know if these work with the F-ED? I know some eyepieces have compatibility issues just like all scopes. Would they also give me a telephoto type view?

They should both work ok, the William Optics DCL-28 is a simple 4 element Plossl eyepiece design and wouldn't have any compatibility issues at all. The Baader Hyperion should work also, I've used mine in the Pentax PF-80 EDA spotting scope and it focused through the whole distance range.

Not sure what you mean about the telephoto type view.

Paul.

Thanks for sharing these photos. I've been looking for examples of digiscoped photos taken with this scope for a long time. I'm using a Celestron 80ED astro-type scope now, but like Paul, this is the scope I would be looking at if I were buying a spotting scope for digiscoping because of the price, quality, and the ability to easily use a wide variety of eyepieces.

Thanks for sharing these photos. I've been looking for examples of digiscoped photos taken with this scope for a long time. I'm using a Celestron 80ED astro-type scope now, but like Paul, this is the scope I would be looking at if I were buying a spotting scope for digiscoping because of the price, quality, and the ability to easily use a wide variety of eyepieces.

Thanks, hopefully this will get someone else with this scope to share their pictures :t:

I bid on one of these scopes on ebay yesterday but didn't win it unfortunately. In the last ten seconds I put in a bid of £350 and only one other person bid against me but there's was higher. Never mind, there will likely be others.

Paul.

The seller has another one that I'm trying to negotiate a price for. They want me to pay the £350 which is the same as my max bid on their first one. I'm trying to get them down to their listing price of £300. We shall see if we can agree lol.

Paul.

TBG, Like Blue from Tenn. I have the Celestron 80ED astro style scope and except for Frank D on here I haven't seen any photos taken with the Regal F-ED scopes and am interested in them. BTW very nice photos.
There is some information on this thread about the Regal F scopes in case you have not seen [eyepieces tried]. Steve
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=147180&page=5

Last edited:
The seller has another one that I'm trying to negotiate a price for. They want me to pay the £350 which is the same as my max bid on their first one. I'm trying to get them down to their listing price of £300. We shall see if we can agree lol.

Paul.

If it is the 80mm version that is a great price considering the cheapest I could find it for was £480 hope it works out.

TBG, Like Blue from Tenn. I have the Celestron 80ED astro style scope and except for Frank D on here I haven't seen any photos taken with the Regal F-ED scopes and am interested in them. BTW very nice photos.
There is some information on this thread about the Regal F scopes in case you have not seen [eyepieces tried]. Steve
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=147180&page=5

Thanks, I skipped through the thread before, there is a lot to read and I really cant get into the details of scopes I just think " hey cheap scope does it take good pictures?...Yeah? I'll take it!"

If only I had the money I would love to see this scope work at its highest

Ok I see that now in your for sale the Ultima ED scope. You had to do some dancing around on here to try to sell this, same as me trying to sell a Nikon 10x42SE. I ended up selling it here and bought a Nikon 8x32SE on here and foolishly traded it for friends Nikon 8x32LX plus $50 from him I never saw.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back