• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Traveller ED (2 Viewers)

Bob,

I don't have a specs sheet with me but will check the box when I get home. Other than the 8.2 degree field of view listed on the binocular I don't have anything to share. I will take some measurements later but would assume the specs advertised for the Maven/Nikon would apply here.

...would assume the specs advertised for the Maven/Nikon would apply here.

Frank, is this not closer in taxonomy to the Leupold Mojave and Cabelas Guide 8x32s than the Nikon and Maven 8x30s? If so then a comparison with your Mojave is due ;-)

Adhoc,

If you put the Traveler side by side with the maven then you would see the similarities. The Traveler is a different binocular than the Leupold. The Mojave and the now discontinued Countryman were more similar than the Traveler ED.

Bruce,

Will do tomorrow. It is just the basic labeling with the name and the field of view in degrees.

Bob,

No specs on or in the box.

...Traveler is a different binocular than the Leupold. The Mojave and the now discontinued Countryman were more similar...

Thanks, but still, if it is not too much trouble, comparing this and the 8x32 Mojave (I am assuming you still have it), even briefly or from recent memory, will be very useful, I should think.

Is this then the first time we are seeing the basic design in the lineup of a "traditional" company? If so then kudos to Opticron.

Last edited:
Is this 8x32 Opticron Traveller ED the first mid sized 8x Opticron to have a FOV of 8º or more?

I hope the ER is long enough.

Do the eye cups pull out or twist out?

Bob

Last edited:
As requested and straight from Opticron:

Code
Extended Product Description
Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32
Opticron Traveller BGA ED 10x32
Guarantee (Europe)
30 year
30 year
Warranty (North America)
Premier Plus Limited Lifetime
Premier Plus Limited Lifetime
Size
8x32
10x32
Magnification
OG Lens Dia. (mm)
Field of View (°)
Field of View (m@1000m)
Field of View (ft@1000yd)
Close Focus (m)
Close Focus (f)
Eye Relief (mm)
Eye Relief (inch)
IPD (mm)
51~73
51~73
IPD (inch)
2~2.9
2~2.9
Waterproof
Yes
Yes
Prism Type
Roof
Roof
Product Dimensions LxWxD (mm)
119x115x42.5
119x115x42.5
Product Dimensions LxWxD (inches)
4.7x4.5x1.7
4.7x4.5x1.7
Weight (g)
Weight (oz)
Body Materials
Aluminium Alloy;Polycarbonate;Magnesium
Aluminium Alloy;Polycarbonate;Magnesium
Nitrogen Gas Filled
Yes
Yes
Eyecup Type
4 stage twist
4 stage twist
Dioptre Adjustment Side
Right
Right
Dioptre Adjuster Location
Right
Right
Dioptre Range
Eyelens Dia (mm)
Prism Material
BAK 4
BAK 4
Prism Coating
Oasis
Oasis
PC Coating
Yes
Yes
Lens Coating
Fully multi-coated
Fully multi-coated
OG Covers Supplied
Yes
Yes
Rainguard Supplied
Yes
Yes
Strap Supplied
Yes
Yes
Cleaning Cloth Supplied
Yes
Yes

Bob,

I will have to go back to look at their full product line but probably the first roof to have more than 8 degrees. Several previous 8x32s had 8 degrees..... Verano, Countryman, Oregon....off the top of my head. Will have to check the SRGA specs.

Generous eye relief to the point I have to twist the eyecup out a notch and I rarely have to do that. Twist up eyecups obviously based on my last comment. :)

Thanks, but still, if it is not too much trouble, comparing this and the 8x32 Mojave (I am assuming you still have it), even briefly or from recent memory, will be very useful, I should think.

Is this then the first time we are seeing the basic design in the lineup of a "traditional" company? If so then kudos to Opticron.

adhoc,

I don't have the Mojave 8x32 anymore. I sold it quite some time ago. Sorry that I cannot accommodate your request.

Without getting into extreme detail I would think that my comparison review of the Mojave versus the Nikon M7 (mid-sized of course) would apply to the Opticron versus Mojave as well. I haven't spent a great deal of time with the Traveler yet but plan on doing so the rest of this week and this weekend.

I also have the Explorer WA ED 8x42 on hand to take along to review as well.

Looks like the table of specs got messed up Frank - here's a PDF of the same info.

HTH

Pete

Attachments

• Traveller ED specs 0217.pdf
    186 KB · Views: 128
This is a list of current and recently discontinued 8x models with 8 degree or larger FOV:

SR.GA 8x32 Porro
Adventurer 8x40 Porro
Traveller BGA ED 8x32
M-3 8x30 Porro
Aspheric WA 8x40 Porro
Vista EX 8x40 Porro
Adventurer T WP 8x32 Porro
Oregon 4 LE WP 8x32
Oregon LE WP 8x32
Verano BGA HD 8x32
Countryman BGA HD 8x32
Imagic BGA SE 8x32

HTH

Cheers, Pete

...Without getting into extreme detail I would think that my comparison review of the Mojave versus the Nikon M7 (mid-sized of course) would apply to the Opticron versus Mojave as well. I haven't spent a great deal of time with the Traveler yet but plan on doing so the rest of this week and this weekend...
Thanks, Frank, still a bit unclear about what compares closest to this in design but let us see next week what transpires. If this makes sense please see how it compares with the Mojave going by memory.

adhoc,

If you compare the specs of the Nikon or Maven with the Traveler as opposed to comparing the Mojave to any of those three then you can see some of the immediate differences. Further, if you placed these four binoculars side by side then you would see there are some notable similarities between the first three and not the Mojave.

The Mojave has a bigger footprint. The eyecups are wider and the housing is "fatter". Also, if I remember right, the diopter on the Mojave is on the focusing knob while the other three have it on the right eyepiece. Just some things off the top of my head. I will see if I can find the Nikon vs Leupold comparative review I did and post the link. Will also try to post some comparative pics.

Frank, adhoc - the Mojave is from the same stable (although not the same sire) as the now discontinued Countryman BGA HD 8x32 - note the position and type of dioptre adjustment. Traveller ED comes from another part of town :)

HTH

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back