• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birders and photographers (2 Viewers)

Same here, my effort overlooking my feeding station and swamp.

And extremely fine it is too! I remain very grateful that cameras were welcome when we visited...

... though given that I obtained this shot by closing my eyes, randomly pointing the camera in a range of different directions and pressing all the buttons in turn, there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Attachments

• middle_spotted_woodpecker.JPG
    middle_spotted_woodpecker.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 125
And extremely fine it is too! I remain very grateful that cameras were welcome when we visited...

... though given that I obtained this shot by closing my eyes, randomly pointing the camera in a range of different directions and pressing all the buttons in turn, there's still plenty of room for improvement.

The vibrations from the rapid action mirror/shutter of your camera weakened a neighbouring tree, the result being it finally collaped this winter, leaving the front of the aforementioned hide a little less pretty than pictured. Mr Bradnum, a bill for damage originating from your photographic mistermeaner is winging its way towards London :-O

Last edited:
The vibrations from the rapid action mirror/shutter of your camera weakened a neighbouring tree, the result being it finally collaped this winter, leaving the front of the aforementioned hide a little less pretty than pictured. Mr Bradnum, a bill for damage originating form your photographic mistermeaner is winging its way towards London :-O

:eek!:

I just don't see why I have to be in the same room while the monkeys labour noisily away and disturb myself and others.

I'm surprised you actually use hides at all. You sound as if you want to be thought of as a 'proper' birder. Surely you should be dragging yourself through ditches and gorse to get decent views of your birds, not just taking the lazy route and sitting in a hide?

What is "Twitching"?
Whatever else might be said about MS Darkbloom, she has a wonderful name.

Twitching is chasing around the country in pursuit of rare birds to add to your total, it becomes quite obsessive as I know from past experience.
Much more feasible in smaller countries but if "The Big Year" has more than a grain of truth in it then there are some North American Twitchers as well.

Seems I struck a nerve with the photographers. Is perhaps the angry response prompted by guilt?
The realisation that as lapsed birders who have strayed from the narrow path, that the disruption that they inflict on other people is basically both anti-social and selfish.

Wow, I didn't realize that there was such an antipathy between birders and photographers!

I can kind of understand that one can get annoyed by the presence of other people when out birding.. personally, I like to go birding in order to get away from people for a bit, so I do easily get annoyed if I happen to run into a lot of people.. I am aware however that this feeling of annoyance is actually my own problem, not theirs, and that they didn't do anything "wrong".

There are a lot of aspects and motivations to birding and photography as well, I don't think one should look down on whatever it is that makes those hobbies worthwhile for others or the way they go about it.

Stefanie

Seems I struck a nerve with the photographers. Is perhaps the angry response prompted by guilt?
The realisation that as lapsed birders who have strayed from the narrow path, that the disruption that they inflict on other people is basically both anti-social and selfish.

Not guilt but incredulity that you actually seem to believe this drivel.:C

When are you due to leave school? Sounds as though you've at least a couple of years to go.

I think it might be a good idea if Mr Vladimir Nabokov - oops, sorry, Vivian Darkbloom - were to give this event a miss:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/312943-..._source=rss&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=News

Ron

I particularly like this quote from the link, sums things up nicely:-O

“Bird photography is the most challenging and yet potentially most rewarding of all forms of wildlife photography."

Perhaps Vivian might like to enrol, you never know he might expand his narrow horizons.

So Viv, or whatever your real name happens to be....

When you have been out bird watching and found your quiet contemplation disrupted, have you challenged the anti-social and selfish bearer of camera and if so, what was their response?

Would you agree that in the modern world, we're unlikely to enjoy time and space with people who are exactly of like mind - it simply calls for tolerence.

I find anti-social and selfish people inflict disruption on me everytime I drive to work - but I'm for sure not going to lose sleep over it. And am I feeling guilty? Get over yourself for goodness sake!

I think it might be a good idea if Mr Vladimir Nabokov - oops, sorry, Vivian Darkbloom - were to give this event a miss:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/312943-..._source=rss&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=News

Ron

Blast, I've been rumbled.
How many times at the height of my obsession and when after many hours of patient stalking one those infinitely rare members of the divine order Lepidoptera, have I been foiled at the last moment by the crass intervention of a camera clicking dolt stumbling into the mis en scene, scaring away the pale ghost. The opportunity lost for ever.

I hope this thread continues for some time. Although I've been to London and Paris, it's only by hearing the natives converse that one gets the flavor of a place. Besides, the dialogue is as good as "Downton Abby" and "Upstairs Downstairs".;)

I hope this thread continues for some time. Although I've been to London and Paris, it's only by hearing the natives converse that one gets the flavor of a place. Besides, the dialogue is as good as "Downton Abby" and "Upstairs Downstairs".;)

I'm sure we can satisfy your need for authentic english lol!

I was strolling across the pavilion, when BUGGER ME, my reverence was distracted by the infernal screams of a small party of RIng-Necked Parakeets. Such delightful denizens of the tropics have no business in our treasured parkland. I shall be putting pen to paper forthwith in a letter of disgust to my MP.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back