• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marina Del Ray - Possible Arctic Loon? (1 Viewer)

autzman

Marina Del Rey - Possible Arctic Loon?

Um, so I don't normally post on this site (my first time here), but I initially posted my pictures over at WhatBird and had a few people look askance at a set of loon photos I took this morning at Marina Del Rey. This site was suggested as another possible place to turn to.

About 9:00am this morning, I spotted a loon (quite far off) that looked a bit odd, so I snapped a whole bunch of pictures of it, zoomed in on my camera, wrote it off as a Pacific Loon and moved on.

But looking more closely at the pictures, there's a lot of white on the bird. Given that one was seen just north in Malibu 15 days ago, I wondered, for just a few seconds... I'm still of the general opinion that it's a Pacific Loon, but I thought running it by a few more people might be worthwhile.

(I apologize in advance for the photo quality; I have the bare minimum DSLR lens and the bird was 150 feet away min.)
loon12_zpsb1353ddd.png

loon11_zps999f2340.png

loon2-1_zpscef038e4.png

Notably, the white could be seen even when the bird tilted its body toward the camera:
loon1_zps17b17758.png

loon10_zpseb3376ed.png

Any and all opinions would be really welcomed!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back