• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Because they can (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I took the kids to Beeston Castle today. The castle is situated atop a 500ft high rock "plug" that rises out of the Cheshire plain. The woodland on the way up the the castle was filled with singing warblers, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers and Blackcaps though as yet no Wood Warblers, Redstarts or Pied Flycatchers. When we got to the top the view was spectacular.... the Cathedrals in Liverpool were visible to the NW, the Clwydian range with Snowdonia behind to the West, while to the East the Pennines were on show.

As the only natural high rise location for miles in any direction, the cliff is something of an attraction to cliff nesting birds. We didn't actually see the breeding Peregrines (the first pair to return to Cheshire after the crash bred at Beeston) but the 50 or so Jackdaws were periodically out-called by the resident Ravens.

As we looked out towards Wales, both adult birds flew past close enough to see the contour feathers wafting up on their backs, then as though to order, both bird pulled a "victory roll". Holly, my 7 year old asked why they did that.. and my best answer was... because they can!

bstnfly.jpg

Try that instead

robinm said:
Sounds like a grand day out.

If they were human I'd say the ravens are having fun ....

I'm sure that's exactly what they were doing. I saw an excellent clip of some doing a mini luge, I think in Switzerland!

I'm sure Jackdaws do aerobatics just for the fun of it - not sure about Ravens, we don't get many around here to check out!, but Jackdaws will all suddenly just rise together into the air and fly around, sometimes hundreds at a time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back