• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to get the best out of Minsmere (1 Viewer)

cjay

Minsmere RSPB Reserve

Minsmere RSPB Reserve is situated on the Suffolk Coast between the towns of Southwold & Aldeburgh It is Britain’s second most visited reserve & is very popular especially in May. For many visitors it is a long way to travel. Here are a few tips for beginners & seasoned birders alike to make the most of the reserve, which you can use at all times of the year. This is my preferred route & I find this is the most rewarding way to do it. If you want to return for lunch I recommend getting in early as many non-birders & dudes fill up the restaurant by 1pm.

Always make sure you get your permit from the shop which opens at 9am (The reserve incidentally is closed Tuesdays) Members are free on production of your card but expect to pay £4.00 if you are not a member.

On leaving the reception check the bird feeders. It is a good spot to get Brambling in Winter & Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Marsh Tit & Grey Squirrel! All year.

Next walk along to past the toilets where the trees nearby produce many birds like Greenfinch & chaffinch awaiting their turn at the feeder. Make your way to the old car park where from March to late August the Sand martins can be seen nesting in the large bank. Take your time in this area; look around all the trees etc by the picnic tables where in summer many warblers will be seen. These are also good places to see Bullfinch. The dead trees along the south belt which is to the south west of the car park will normally produce Woodpeckers & A good perch for raptors too like Kestrel, Sparrowhawk & in Summer Hobby. The path to North Hide is good for Wryneck in Spring & Autumn & the bushes to the left are good for Ring Ouzel in Spring & Autumn, Goldfinch & Turtle Dove in Summer & Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Black cap can be found here along with Common Whitethroat in Autumn. The best tip here is to check everything that moves. It could be something rare!

The secret with North Hide is to sit & wait. It is a good spot in winter for observing Sparrowhawk & Peregrine. Jack Snipe can be seen in the wet spots in front of the hide. It has produced Penduline Tit & Spotted Crake in the past. Garganey are bank huggers during spring & this is another good spot for these migrant duck. Also singing Cettis Warblers can be heard here.

When returning back up the path turn right & walk up to the entrance of the North Wall before getting there look to the right where you will see a bench looking toward a grassy are with Hawthorn & Oak trees in. This is an excellent spot for Redstart in spring & autumn. The trees & shrubs are good for summer birds like Turtle Dove & Common Whitethroats. Be patient here & let the bird’s come to you & you will be well rewarded.

On the left of the track you will see the large expanse of turf dotted with some shrubs. Ring Ouzel like this area in spring, as do Wheatears. All year you will see Magpie & Green Woodpecker. In Winter Peregrine, Hen Harrier & Merlin can be seen from here too.

The North Wall is the place for Bearded Tits & one cannot fail to see them here. The reedbeds also produce Water Rail & in Summer Reed Warblers, Sedge Warbler & Reed Bunting will be seen. In spring incoming migrants can be seen flying south with Swallow Swift & house martin can be seen coming in off the sea. Cuckoos can be seen perched on the fence in the distance.
At the top end of the path by the bench. Check the bushes either side here. It is good for Stonechat & rare passage migrants like Red backed Shrike & the turf below is good for Hoopoe on passage.

The best way to work the beach is to walk along the top of the sandy slope. It gives you the chance to look to your left for sea birds & to your right for land base migrants. Wheatears can be found here in spring & autumn, as can autumn migrants like Pipits & Wryneck. The beach is good in winter for Snow Bunting & shore lark.

Scan the sea in winter & you will pick up hundreds of Red throated Divers interspersed with Grebes & sometimes the rarer Divers.

East Hide is good & with the sun on your back in the mornings the sun highlights the birds present.
On leaving East hide walk south to the sluice. Keep along the top of the bank as the sluice outfall is good fro wintering Eider, Purple Sandpiper & usually some colour ringed Gulls. (Try reading the numbers with your scope)

As you enter the gate by the sluice in summer look for Adders. They love basking against the wall here & on the warm surface to the right of the dyke. Check the old mill on the right for Kingfisher, Stonechat & Reed Bunting. Also in Winter Merlins like perching here too.

Just before you turn right toward south hide look across the marshes here. Stand by the gate & scan. Bitterns fly over here regally & in winter you could see Hen Harrier, Marsh Harrier & Merlin. Check the grazing marsh pools for Water Pipit in spring & for waders in autumn. In winter it can be good for both Common & Jack Snipe.

I consider South hide to be poor but just put your head in & have a look as it can sometimes produce Passage birds like Black tern & Little Gull in Autumn.

West Hide is in my book the best hide for observing waders.

In winter after leaving west hide walk towards the wood known as south belt. Pause by the first trees & you should get Siskins Redpoll Goldcrest & Treecreeper. Turn left toward the Bittern hide where you will see many woodland birds at all times of the year. This is also a good place to hear Nightingale & see Muntjac deer. The Bittern hide is good for “Bittern” The walk to Island mere is always productive no matter what time of the year you go. In autumn check the wire fence for Redstart & flycatchers.

Whin Hill is a rabbit grazed field, which at all times of the year produces Mistle Thrush & Green Woodpecker. In winter Peregrines take rabbits from here! A great sight to see believe me. Short-eared Owls can be seen here in winter & Ring Ouzel & Woodlark can be seen here in spring. It is also good for seeing Red Deer. Island Mere is better late afternoon for Gulls, which come into roost. Mediterranean Gulls, Yellow legged Gulls & sometimes something rarer can be seen here & it is a good hide in which to practice your gull ID. Good for Bittern too. Wintering Duck abound here with Goldeneye present very winter with the occasional Smew.
When you come out of here take the left path to the “Rhodo Tunnel” the trees here will often produce Redpoll, Siskin & Firecrest in winter.

The walk along the road to the car park is usually very good; look out for Willow & Coal Tit on the feeders opposite the gate. Keep an eye on the wood on the left known as Scott’s Hall Covert very good for woodland birds & stock dove. The Tree Canopy hide will produce good vies of woodland birds & Lesser Spotted Woodpecker sometimes come to the feeder. It is another good place to see deer as they come to drink from the pool. Grass snake is usually seen here too.
Once you turn into the car park look for basking adders in summer, singing Woodlarks in spring & occasionally Hobbies in summer

Colin.

An excellent peice, Colin. I go to Minsmere quite often and I've learnt a few things here. If there in the middle of the day I tend to walk it in reverse to your route, as you have the sun behind you more.

Amongst hardcore birder/twitchers Minsmere has a reputation for being a dude's place. So it gets a lot of begginers and casual birders, but so what? It has a rich varity of habitats in one 'smallish' place and so this is reflected in its birds.

Dave

A very well written article Colin. I only wish that I lived a bit closer in order to make use of the information that you have provided.

yes it can be good for assisting other birders. It is a good place for beginners which is why this article was written. Four quid is a lot if you have a bad day. By following these simple tips your birding will improve. Too many people go from hide to hide & feel it is not worth looking anywhere else other than from hides.

Also many come into a hide & look through the hatch. announce that there is nothing to see & leave again.

Then there are those who think Minsmere only has Avocets & Bitterns & nothing else.

All very true.
Colin.

There is no mention of children but do you think it would be suitable for my little girl ? She is 7 and really very quiet snd well behaved

It is in such a lovely area which I do know very well and have walked along the beach many many times, but I have never really known what goes on at the RSPB.

Yes Of course. Children are very welcome indeed. I believe it is £2.00 for kids. West Hide is very good as the birds come close & are not too worried about hands waving out of the hide.

Minsmere is very Family orientated.

Colin.

Dude? A person who owns all the best optical equipment, but is a very poor birdwatcher.

Someone will have to explain to me why someone who can afford the best gear shouldn't buy it?

The original definition of Dude went a little further. A Dude was someone of mature years who had a keen but limited interest in birds. They tended to wear old fashioned out door clothes like plus-fours and tweed - they may have even carried a shooting stick.

This defintion however, is quite old and the generation it refered too have all passed away, but I'm sure we have some 21st century equivalents.

Dave

The Best Reserve...?

Minsmere

Colin, it sounds a great place.

I have Never visited, but i can remember someone telling me what an excellent reserve it was, i'll have to go.

I also remember hearing that it was the best bird reserve & that a bird-race team had gathered over 150 bird-species on th reserve & its imediate surroundings.

Are either of these correct ?

S

No the bird race team never did this at all. Not in one day! The Suffolk record is only about 130 in a day.

It is a dudes place I must admit but you can still have a good day out. But you have to work for them.

before writing this article I asked some of the staff for some anecdotes. Someone wrote to the reserves manager complaining that they had come to see Bittern & Avocets but when they arrived they had seen many other birds as well. They asked why they were not told there would be other birds here as well.

They could not see any Bitterns or Avocets at all!

They visited in October.

One man walked into the shop & said. "Why don't the RSPB put all their rare birds on one reserve & sell the other reserves for building land?"

Colin

great report. I'll use it when I visit in October.

Why do you keep using the word dude? I find it very elitist.

Pete

Pete

The term 'dude' may have disrespectful tinge to it but then 'twitcher' could be regarded as having negative conotations. Ultimately, these are stereotyped definitions that serve to pigeon-hole people.

Dave

Dave

probably just caught me at the wrong time of day!! I've been trying to interpret some government legislation and I've been getting very very confused.

Pete

Sorry I don't mean it as derogatory. A Dude is a non birdwatcher. Minsmere is often visited by them.

I shall not use that term again

Apologies to all concerned.

Colin.

colin j said:
Sorry I don't mean it as derogatory. A Dude is a non birdwatcher. Minsmere is often visited by them.

I shall not use that term again

Apologies to all concerned.

Colin.

nah being daft again ;) old boy!

oh i hope that i didnt ask the wrong question. even though i havent been into the reserve i am not surpriised one bit that nonbirdwatchers visit. it is so lovely around there. the coastline especially so. such a view from dunwich nat trust as well up on the cliffs . there are so many wonderfully evocative terms which can be used to express this area btu you probably heard all that befoer

i am new here so may not be my place to say this nevertheless i will >the tone of your text and the way Dude was written in didnt appear one jot derogatory to me . maybe we just all have our little expressions that other people dont use. thankyou colin for the original article and if i am a dude to you then that really is fine by me > as long as you contniue to put the e on the end of that word !

Hi Becky (is it Becky or Rebecca????)

nah my sense of humour took a vacation this afternoon. Government legislation, if you want it complicated they'll do it. Come 4pm this afternoon my head was swirling!!

In Winter you may fancy a visit to Welney (its about as far from you as you can get as stay in Norfolk!!). Every winter thousands (really thousands) of Bewick and Whooper Swans migrate there. The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust feed them its very dramatic. The main viewing hide is heated(godsend on a cold day) and along with the Swans there are lots and lots of ducks.

have fun

Pete

Isn't that the great thing about Birdforum, everyone is welcome? From Dudes to hardened Twitchers by way of Ringers, Patchworkers and birders. Novices and experts can meet here and join in.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back