• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alula review of Zeiss FL (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright said:
Thats very reassuring to me, I'm not barking mad and blind...

I expect Kimmo just waits for me to review something and works from that ;)

I've had my doubts ;)

Actually Andy I thought your review was rather good!! Fancy a job working for Birdwatching?

Jonathan B. said:
Rich,

I have visited several shops in the Bay Area. There is a Wild Bird Center in Walnut Creek that had a very good selection of binoculars, including Zeiss, in the recent past. I was able to compare several Zeiss and Swarovski models there. I'm sure you have found that shop.

At the risk of sounding like the dreaded anti-Zeiss, let me suggest that you ask the proprietor of the Wild Bird Center in San Carlos why she no longer carries Zeiss. Let's put it this way: after many years selling optics, she is happy to carry two companies whose customer service she considers exceptional--Swarovski and Swift. One of the only shops in New Mexico that carries high-end binoculars used to handle Zeiss, but almost never does anymore. I asked one of the staff about it, and he said that they "never hear from the sales rep."

I am pleased to see your comments on FL vs. Ultravid. The Ultravid has had far less coverage in the forum than the FL. I hope Ben O. will try them both before making his purchase.

At the risk of offending and being off topic I'll just say that Walnut Creek and Palo Alto are not "just across town".
I wouldn't have even thought of looking in Walnut Creek for a binocular. Palo Alto is in a part of the SF Bay Area where buying a high end binocular shouldn't a problem (if they can find it).

There is the problem of people looking at a binocular in a local store and then buying on the net for a few dollars less.

I'm not sure of the cause of the problem but not finding a store selling high end Zeiss in Palo Alto is amazing. A Zeiss FL would be a Christmas stocking stuffer.

Rich

I have just picked up my Zeiss 8x42 FL and they really were worth the long wait for new stock to arrive.
As a lifelong Leica fan I did compare with the Ultravid but found the FL's a fraction brighter and had less colour fringing in difficult conditions. I thought that if I am making such a big investment, I may as well get the best to my eyes and forget about brand loyalty.

I did eventually read the Alula review in full and it seems as if Kimmo didn't think the 'hotspot' was going to be a problem for many as it didn't really get a mention. I can't see any problem but maybe I am not using them correctly, or wrongly? I have definitely seen far worse binos in my lifetime as far as edge distortion.

Anyway, back to my new FL binos. Took them out today in the overcast conditions that are hanging around down here in darkest Croydon. Not a great deal around but a male g-s woodpecker making a lot of noise from the top of a tree maybe 40 yards away. Wow, the breast of this bird was brilliant white that made a mockery of the conditions, the detail in the red nape was obvious. Not a trace of colour fringing and as crisp as can be imagined. I took my BNs with me and the view was rather lifeless and dark and lacked the ooomph, for lack of a better description, of the FL.

The focus wheel on the FL was just right for my use, keeping a fast moving woodpigeon in focus as it flew towards my position was effortless.

I found the eyepiece position to suit my eyes on the 2nd click stop, not fully extended.

Funny how a new pair of binos makes you want to see every bird again, even something as common as a Starling.

So another happy user and I don't care what they say ;)

Ben

Ben O said:
I took my BNs with me and the view was rather lifeless and dark and lacked the ooomph, for lack of a better description, of the FL.

Ben
Ooomph seems a good enough word to me :)
I also have the eyecup setting the same as yourself.
Regards,
Andy

Compared Ben O's "ooomph" with Andy Bright's "Ooomph". Are we looking at sample variation here or is this some form of sentence edge distortion? :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back