• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D7200 * D810 * 300mm pf * & different Teleconverters comparison (1 Viewer)

micloi

I had the chance yesterday to go with a good friend and take photos from a local hide.

That gave me the opportunity to do a test using different bodies and teleconverters.

A question I always want to know the answer to if it is better to use a crop of full frame body + TC

Below are some tests that I hope will aprovide some answers.

First test. Getting approximately the same amount of pixels on a close subject and the same shutter speed. I would use the crop body as image quality is similar and AF speed much faster with the 1.4x

D810 + 300mm pf + 2x

600mm f8 ISO3200 1/640

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16187250/Nikon 300mm pf/D810 and D7200/D810 600mm f8 ISO3200.JPG

D7200 + 300mm pf + 1.4x

430mm f5.6 ISO1600 1/640

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../D810 and D7200/D7200 420mm f.5.6 ISO1600.JPG

Last edited:
Have you attempted any birds in flight yet?

Do you operate with back button focussing?

Have you tried the additional 1.3 x option?

Yes to birds in flight with the 1.4x and 1.7x
Back button focusing
Do not use 1.3 crop mode, buffer is large enough

Thanks. What settings do you typically use for birds in flight?

This seems to be a very good, lightest weight in class option, to achieve good walkabout telephoto lengths!

Thanks. What settings do you typically use for birds in flight?

This seems to be a very good, lightest weight in class option, to achieve good walkabout telephoto lengths!

I use AF-C and either single point or 9 points depending on the size of the bird and how busy the background is.

micloi,

have you tried the 2xTC on the 7200?

I'm thinking about upgrading from the previous Nikon 300mm to the new PF, but would want to extend my reach with the 2x TC (currently I only use the 1.4x as most reports suggested the older lens underperformed with the 2x). Image quality and AF speed are obvious considerations.

I'm shooting with the D7100, which I do not plan to upgrade any time soon.

Thanks,

Dave

A good friend did and it seems to be working quite well for static subjects. For birds in flight I would stick with two 1.4x and 1.7x

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back