• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens for birds and dragonflies (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hi. I have done a fair share of photography last 10 years and owned a 7d with canon 400 f5.6, Nikon d7000, Olympus OM-D and a few superzooms. Due to lots of work and other hobbies I have been inactive in wildlife photo last years but now I am returning again.

Currently I own a D7100 with Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and I like the combo a lot for family photography.

Now to my question. I need a telelens for insects and birds and there are lots of alternatives. My budget is perhaps £1500. I want it be light weight since my wife wants to be able to carry the combination as well and I want it to close focus. Perhaps I ask too much B :)

Sigma 150-600 Contemporary is cheap and gives me a lot of reach for birds, making it perhaps the best option for birds but it is heavy and perhaps less suitable for dragonflies due to longer close focus distance?

New Nikon 300mm f4 PF is very light weight and close focusing, but with a TC I lose a lot of IQ I guess? And it is expensive.

New Nikon 80-400 ED VR gives me flexibility and not as heavy but more expensive and less reach then Sigma 150-600.

New Nikon 200-500 has a lovely reach but again very heavy..

What would you recommend? A superzoom like Panasonic FZ1000 is tempting but I just doubt I would like the IQ compared to my D7100.

Thanks

New Nikon 300mm f4 PF is very light weight and close focusing, but with a TC I lose a lot of IQ I guess? And it is expensive.

300 f4 with 1.4 TC II-III you lose quality but at 420mm it's still amazing - testers and reviewers report it being better at 400mm than the latest 80-400 or on PAR -
- reported everywhere -
significant loss happens with 1.7 and 2.0 TCs

i own the previous 300f4 and TC 1.4 II (420mm)
i love the combo
but sometimes i wish i had it longer :bounce:
i love to ' improve my skills in approaching animals ' but also there is a limit.

as how i understood

the 300 f4 IF ED + TC 1.4 II
is A LITTLE BIT LESS SHARP than
300 f4 PF VR (latest) + TC 1.4 III (latest)

both updates have improvements in IQ (booth little improvements, little here and little there it starts to be nice)

i'd love something between 600 and 700mm

waiting to see how the 200-500 performs at 500 (1-2 months to know about it)
and how with the 1.4TC at 600 and 700mm

based on that i will then consider

1) Sigma 150-600 Sport
2) Nikon 200-500 (+ tc 1.4 II i own)
3) refresh my current setup with 300f4 mostly because of the weight
- i can handheld and walk around the old version for half a day, but i do feel it.
waiting some time to understand if the VR issue has been fixed.
and go on with 420mm setup

looking forward for new models-patents

400-600 5.6 VR5 N IF ED - PF - ( +1.5$, something around 80-400s price)
400 5.6
500 5.6
600 5.6
or some sort of combination
or a powerful TC 2.0 IV (new formula, new technology)

Last edited:
either the previous 300mm f4, or the new 300mm PF would be good choices.

I recently replaced the older lens with the new PF version. Both are very good for macro work, and I was using the older lens for eight years both with and without a 1.4 TC (see my blog link below for lots of images). For me the PF's small size and weight swung it as I travel a lot and do most of my birding in very hot tropical climates where lugging a camera around becomes a real pain.

You could pick up the older 300mm f4 second hand for a reasonable price I expect, it is very sharp. Reach may be an issue, but that depends upon they style of birding/photography you do.

From what I have seen, the 300mm PF's image quality with a 2x TC is a little better than the sigma contemporary at 600mm, though it will be one stop slower wide open.

I do not think that 200-500 or the 150-600 lenses will be good for insects due to the lack of close focus, though as mentioned above you might opt for extension tubes.

Given your experience, I'd stick with your DSLR and look at lens options.

There are some mirrorless options available now - and will be more in the future. Lenses like the Nikon 70-300 CX with the Nikon V3 could make a nice, light combination, but that is a little pricey.

For birding, you generally are going to need as much reach as possible. Something in the 500mm to 600mm range is ideal if you can handle the cost and weight. There Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or the Tamron 150-600 are both good choices. Weight is a cost of admission, and these lenses are light lenses for that kind of reach. If you want lighter, you have to give up reach which is a big compromise. VR and a fast shutter speed are important with these lenses - you'll be trying to use a fast shutter speed but for low light situations, it may not be possible.

For dragonflies and butterflies, something around 300mm is ideal, but you need a close focus distance. I'd look for a minimum focus distance of around 5 feet. That means you will need either a lens that focuses close, or extension tubes - or both. I like the 300 f/4 (both versions) with extension tubes. The image quality with the TC14E II or III is excellent (the older 300f/4 is heavier, but works with the TC14E II teleconverter only - not the III). On a tight budget, the older 300 f/4 and TC14E II teleconverter can be purchased used at a reasonable price - probably $250-275 for the teleconverter and $850 for the lens. You'll pay considerably more for the new lens and new teleconverter. The new 300 f/4 is slightly sharper, much lighter and smaller, and has VR - but the lens plus teleconverter will cost around $1900. For either version, you probably need the Kenko extension tubes for closer focus.

I would not consider the 300 f/4 as a primary lens for birding. Even with a teleconverter, you don't have enough reach unless you go with the 1.7 or 2x teleconverter. Both of these teleconverters lose image quality and aperture - to the point where you could only use them in bright light or full sun. That's okay as a backup with great light, but not as a primary combination.

Perhaps you should consider a kit of two lenses - one long and the other light. Something like the 70-300 VR is a good, light lens and could be used handheld for dragonflies or casual, light birding. For more serious bird photography, you would use a 150-600 with a monopod or handheld. The two lenses come in under your budget if you get a used copy of the 70-300 for around $350-375.

I have added the Nikon P610 to my gear as a light walk round camera it makes a decent job on dragonfly's.

Attachments

• D2.jpg
    D2.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 183
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back