• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus or poor optics? Honest criticisms please. (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

Hi all. Digiscoping for beginners like me is frustrating isn't it?
The attached photo is a male house sparrow taken on a sunny evening at around 7:30 pm a cpl of days ago.
Equipment used was a camlink 20-60x80 scope, left at 20x. ( no point stretching the limits and trying to zoom with this scope when digiscoping )
Subject was high in a shrub/tree at approx 20 meters.
camera was canon powershot SD790 IS, and photo taken at f/4.5, 1/400, ISO 200, and -2 EV ( just so I could improve shutter speed ), and I did use a cable release bracket.
Question is: What do you reckon? Is the poor quality due to poor optics ( scope) or just my abilities with regards to focus and/or camera settings?
I'm not concerned about the 'purple fringing' at left of subject as I know what conditions will make the effect likely with my gear.
Thanks in advance.

HSSweb.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all. Digiscoping for beginners like me is frustrating isn't it?
The attached photo is a male house sparrow taken on a sunny evening at around 7:30 pm a cpl of days ago.
Equipment used was a camlink 20-60x80 scope, left at 20x. ( no point stretching the limits and trying to zoom with this scope when digiscoping )
Subject was high in a shrub/tree at approx 20 meters.
camera was canon powershot SD790 IS, and photo taken at f/4.5, 1/400, ISO 200, and -2 EV ( just so I could improve shutter speed ), and I did use a cable release bracket.
Question is: What do you reckon? Is the poor quality due to poor optics ( scope) or just my abilities with regards to focus and/or camera settings?
I'm not concerned about the 'purple fringing' at left of subject as I know what conditions will make the effect likely with my gear.
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 208141

Hi,

I am no expert by any means,
But the first thing I thought when I saw you Photo was "that sun is low in the sky".
Then I read your post a little further,and you mention time was around 7.30 pm

Also shooting high up,that late in the afternoon,makes the object appear as a silhouette.

Still,a darn good effort,given the height of the Sparrow,and the time of day.

Hopefully,I have attached a couple of pics,the one,on the left(Red Wattlebird) is taken in full sunlight,and one on the right(Blue Faced Honeyeater) is taken later in the afternoon,so you can see the effect,on resolution.(both ugly as sin)

Regards.
John

Attachments

• IMG_1487(1) (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1487(1) (Medium).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1448(1) (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1448(1) (Medium).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I can say for certain the scope itself isn't too bad as I have the same model. It's most likely down to the eyepiece where you are losing quality. Mine has a high quality eyepiece that I have grafted onto the scope by modifying it but I didn't mind doing this as I picked the scope up cheap on ebay. To do digiscoping on the cheap and get the best out of it you really need to modify the scopes and the eyepiece is generally the bit that lets them down. If that's not an option then you really need to spend a bit more and get a better scope.

Paul.

would agree with Paul,, have looked through many a scope in my astronomy years and even the best scope is not a best scope with average or low cost eyepieces,, there is a reason why some of eyepieces cost are high and when your looking through them it can be seen if that front element is great,,

Derry

I can say for certain the scope itself isn't too bad as I have the same model. It's most likely down to the eyepiece where you are losing quality. Mine has a high quality eyepiece that I have grafted onto the scope by modifying it but I didn't mind doing this as I picked the scope up cheap on ebay. To do digiscoping on the cheap and get the best out of it you really need to modify the scopes and the eyepiece is generally the bit that lets them down. If that's not an option then you really need to spend a bit more and get a better scope.

Paul.

Now that is interesting Paul. Changing the eyepiece is not beyond me, financialy. Was it an easy job? I would be very thankful to hear more.

HaHa. No need to reply Paul! I found your thread from 2007, which explains everything perfectly!
Cheers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back