• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cisticola in South-Africa (1 Viewer)

pietern2

It is a cisticola, that I know, but is it Levaillant's cisticola because of the black and grey mantle, or a wailing cisticola because of the black eye and the reddish head? Photograped a few miles east of Johannesburg, South-Africa

Attachments

• cisticola.jpg
    cisticola.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 49
Can someone please explain why it's Levaillant's and not Wailing? Googling images of the two spp mentioned has left me totally confused, eg same tail pattern to my eyes (some might be labelled wrong of course), and I'm hoping to be in SA later this year.

Hi Larry,

It's indeed a Levaillant's, Wailing is never that rufous on the head and even in fresh plumage the tail is not so reddish as well. On top of that, the 2 species occur in totally diffenrent habitat, so don't worry too much about those 2 species for your forthcoming trip.

Hi Larry,

It's indeed a Levaillant's, Wailing is never that rufous on the head and even in fresh plumage the tail is not so reddish as well. On top of that, the 2 species occur in totally diffenrent habitat, so don't worry too much about those 2 species for your forthcoming trip.

thanks for that Tib :t:

Thanks for all your replies. Too bad it is Levaillant's, since that one was already on my life list. It's good to know these birds better thou, so next time I may positively identify Wailing cisticola.

Larry, if you're going to vist SA, be sure to visit different habitats. That's something which keeps surprising me for SA, the diversity in birds between dissimilar area's, even if the distance between them is minimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back