• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainguard (for Norm Jackson) (1 Viewer)

Bill Atwood

Supporter
United States
Normmmm!

I kept associating Rainguard with rain, so I wasn't really keen on testing the Legends. Its probably not the best moniker for what its supposed to do. After a bit of review on Bushnell's site, I figured I could test them by sticking them in the refrigerator, then seeing how they would deal with condensation when exposed again at room temperature. I did a side-by side with my Ultravids.

While the Legends will still fog up, they did far better than the Ultravids. They were slower to fog, easier to see through while they were fogged, and quicker to clear. I really had to do some heavy breathing on the Legends to get them to a point where I couldn't see with them.

Last edited:
Hey Bill; really sorry now for saying you were no fun earlier |=)|

Yes, like you probably, "Rainguard" to me meant the info in the popup under the word on this page :
http://www.jjvickers.co.uk/binoculars/elite.htm
I suppose if a hydrophobic coating (something recently noticed the Pentax SPs claim to have too) does cause water droplets to have a smaller diameter, then I suppose this would also be consistent with misting evaporating more quickly. Could be a good selling point to those who suffer from misting eyepieces.
I gather from some of Leif's earlier posts that Leica are big on producing coatings that while maintaining excellent anti-reflective properties etc etc. are also very hard hence scratch resistant. Different priority coming into play perhaps.

Thanks for doing that test and letting us know your findings.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back