• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bushnell (1 Viewer)

marcus

Hello
I was looking through a binocular review in the January/February 2005 issue of the WildBird magazine. Among the many binoculars that were shown, there was a Bushnell which was built like an EL, you know, connected at the top and bottom and nothing in between. Has anyone ever seen this?
Marcus

I have just discovered them (8x43, 10x43) from focuscamera website. Apparently they're still not shown up in the Bushnell official site. The suggested prices are very expensive, well within the shoting range of ELs.

If you go to the Bushnell home page and click on the company info. tab, then press releases tab, you will find some info. on the Elites. As well, there's good news for those fans of the Discoverer series. They will continue to be offered in the 7x42 & 10x42.

ted nordhagen said:
If you go to the Bushnell home page and click on the company info. tab, then press releases tab, you will find some info. on the Elites. As well, there's good news for those fans of the Discoverer series. They will continue to be offered in the 7x42 & 10x42.

8x43 Field of view 372 ft at 1000yds weight 23 oz, eye relief 19 $1459
10x43 Field of view 315 ft at 1000yds, weight 24 oz, eye relief 17 $1499

DavidP said:
8x43 Field of view 372 ft at 1000yds weight 23 oz, eye relief 19 $1459
10x43 Field of view 315 ft at 1000yds, weight 24 oz, eye relief 17 $1499

I heard in the US they will be out in May.

A little comment

Bill Atwood said:
Those prices are probably MSRP. Eagle Optics has them listed at just under $1000.
You probably noticed in the Eagle Optics add that they don't have the new Elite Specifications listed. At least they aren't on the page for the 8x43's that I printed yesterday.

marcus said:
You probably noticed in the Eagle Optics add that they don't have the new Elite Specifications listed. At least they aren't on the page for the 8x43's that I printed yesterday.

Here's an advert for them:

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/product-features.asp?id=964597143&lhalf=bp

Interesting that they appear to have the strap attachment lugs so loved by owners of the Zeiss 8x40 Victory mark 1. Only 650g! Impressive. I presume this is a Japanese made instrument. Curious that the objectives are 43mm as per some Pentax instruments. I wonder if they come from one of these no-brand factories that manufacture for Opticron et al.

Leif

New Elites

Having seen the new Elites recently, I wish to confirm to any and all interested parties that they are indeed made in Japan.

I do not wish to comment on the binoculars themselves, as I looked through them for literally 30 seconds indoors.

I will say this, though, the thing that made the "open-bridge" idea of the ELs so compelling was that you really got to get your hands around the barrels of the bins. In the case of the Elites, the binoculars are quite squat, and there's not much space in-between the focusser and the base connection at the objective lenses. interesting to look at, Not so comfortable (to me) to hold onto.

Jason

Eagle Optics supposedly has them in stock. I wonder what Bushnell will do with these bins. The B&L Elite if I can remember were very nice. Leif might have a point 43 objective sounds like "No name brand company" might have a hand in this. B&L is out business. If anyone buys the new Elite- Please post a short review. Or one the E.O. reps. could make a few comments on BF about the New Elite. They did look a little squat. Don' think most people will be able to fit hands through- always suprising when companies do that. Do they not let "human hands" touch them before putting it out in the world for consumers. The Leica Trin. very uncomfotable.

Carlos

Zolarcon said:
Eagle Optics supposedly has them in stock. I wonder what Bushnell will do with these bins. The B&L Elite if I can remember were very nice. Leif might have a point 43 objective sounds like "No name brand company" might have a hand in this. B&L is out business. If anyone buys the new Elite- Please post a short review. Or one the E.O. reps. could make a few comments on BF about the New Elite. They did look a little squat. Don' think most people will be able to fit hands through- always suprising when companies do that. Do they not let "human hands" touch them before putting it out in the world for consumers. The Leica Trin. very uncomfotable.

Carlos
Actually, Bausch & Lomb ceased to manufacture binoculars and other optical gear years ago (the 70's, I think), and the name was used under license by Bushnell (which is ironic as Bushnell was originally acquired by B & L and operated for a time as a subsidiary). My understanding is that the license agreement expired and Bushnell elected not to renew, probably because the B & L name had lost much of its marketing magic over the years. I have no doubt that the Bushnell Elite will be made by the same Japanese manufacturer responsible for the prior editions of the B & L Elites, which IMHO were always really excellent bins, and a genuine alternative to the Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski options.

Last edited:
Zolarcon said:

Carlos

Quite by accident I found myself "evaluating" the 10x43 Elite yesterday. This was in the context of looking at current Swaro EL and SLC models as well as Kahles. It was my first exposure to the new Elites. Having recently been very impressed by the B&L 8x42 Elites, I anticipated Bushnell really giving Swaro a run for their money, since the new model uses a similar hinge design. Certainly the Swaro comparison is appropriate given the MSRP is $1500, vs. the EL ~$1600.

My reactions were so potent they stopped me in my tracks; so I didn't wind up spending much time with the Elites, knowing they would never be in my collection.

Others need to make their own evaluations, but here's my (hopefully objective) assessment:

• It has a relatively narrow FOV (314 ft.) which results in a discernable tunnel effect. Admittedly, this may have been exaggerated by my comparison with wider field 10x42 SLCs and ELs, but it lacks presence.

• Focus control is rather slow (2+ turns), clockwise (for near), rough, and asymmetric. (On the sample, more force was needed in one direction than the other.) Believe me, this ain't the smooth Swarovski product it tries to emulate.

• The binocular is very light (23.3 oz), but accordingly doesn't have sufficient mass to damp high frequency tremmor. (My theory is that mass is needed for high power binocs. Some may not agree, but I had to fight this one to a stand still.)

• The view is very bright and contrasty, although harsh to my eyes. I don't know how to explain harshness, but assume it's in the transmission and color balance. Whatever it is, this ain't a mellow Swaro for sure. Maybe it's what you get used to, so folks without a Swaro background might like it. I had no opportunity to evaluate CA, but my skill at that is limited anyway.

• Eye relief was generous (17mm) and twist-down eyecups very nice. I could easily see the full field with eyeglasses.

• The armoring had a nice feel, and if I recall correctly there were thumb grooves. The two-color design is not to my taste, but then I didn't care for two-tone cars either.

• I didn't take the time to figure out how the inset stap attachment works since the strap wasn't on the demo. But, it seemed different enough to check out before purchasing.

By and large, I'd be hard put to recommend this binocular even at $1000 (which was its discounted price the first day in the store) when there are so many world-class products already at or below this price point. In fact, I think they've done Swarovski a huge favor by providing a comparison. Anyone who asks whether a $400-600 difference is worth buying an EL, or even hesitates over buying an SLC at the same price, probably should get the Elite.

Well, this was a very limited evaluation, and perhaps others will have a different take on it. Overall, it seemed to fit into the same quality category as the Kahles, which is clearly a level below the EL and SLCs.

Elkcub :scribe:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back