• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Is Better,..? (1 Viewer)

Lord Muck

Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.
Has anyone compared the Pentax PF-80 ED to a Celestron Regal M2 80ED spotting scope..?

I haven't - but if by chance you're in the market for a PF80 ED, I have one in mint condition with the better of the zoom lenses (forget what's it's called for the moment!) available for sale at the moment due to splashing out on a Swarovski scope from another BF Member. Drop me a PM if it's of interest and we can discuss prices etc.

Regards

John

I haven't - but if by chance you're in the market for a PF80 ED, I have one in mint condition with the better of the zoom lenses (forget what's it's called for the moment!) available for sale at the moment due to splashing out on a Swarovski scope from another BF Member. Drop me a PM if it's of interest and we can discuss prices etc.

Regards

John

Thanks for the offer John, but ive been offered a new Pentax PF 80mm for a ridiculously low price, and prefer new over second hand.
I already own a Celestron Regal M2 80mm and just wanted to see if any guys had compared it to a Pentax scope.

John that Pentax eyepiece would be the Pentax SMC 8mm-24mm Zoom eyepiece with better ER 18-22 mm. The other one is the XF Zoom with shorter ER.

No worries! - the Pentax was BVD's reference scope for quite a while - dunno if it still is - so they obviously rated it highly. Mine is pretty much in 'as new' condition - the guy I bought it from hadn't really used it much at all and mostly for garden birding and I've favoured my PF65 for trips which involved walking rather than hide birding - which have been the majority of my birding outings.

I'll get around to listing both of them on BF soon!

Last edited:
No worries! - the Pentax was BVD's reference scope for quite a while - dunno if it still is - so they obviously rated it highly. Mine is pretty much in 'as new' condition - the guy I bought it from hadn't really used it much at all and mostly for garden birding and I've favoured my PF65 for trips which involved walking rather than hide birding - which have been the majority of my birding outings.

I'll get around to listing both of them on BF soon!

John would you say the PF 80mm would be far better for walking/hiking trips than the PF 65mm,..? - if weight was not an issue. I understand the 80mm would gather more light, but overall, would it give a far superior view with an eyepiece attached or would there not be that much difference between them,..?

I think that's a difficult one to answer. As above, the extra weight of the PF80 would deter me from choosing it as against the PF65 for walking/hiking trips, and I use the 14mm XW lens on the PF65 as compared with the 8-24 mm zoom on the PF80. So to some extent the extra brightness of the fixed lens offsets the greater light-gathering capability of the 80 mm scope. And in any event you tend to only really need that extra capability at dusk when I'm rarely out birding so I can't really make an informed comparison. doubtless some of the more technically minded BF'ers could work out the theoretical light-gathering abilities of the two combinations but that's a bit beyond me!

I think that's a difficult one to answer. As above, the extra weight of the PF80 would deter me from choosing it as against the PF65 for walking/hiking trips, and I use the 14mm XW lens on the PF65 as compared with the 8-24 mm zoom on the PF80. So to some extent the extra brightness of the fixed lens offsets the greater light-gathering capability of the 80 mm scope. And in any event you tend to only really need that extra capability at dusk when I'm rarely out birding so I can't really make an informed comparison. doubtless some of the more technically minded BF'ers could work out the theoretical light-gathering abilities of the two combinations but that's a bit beyond me!

Ok John,
Thanks for your insights.

Lord Muck,

Did you buy the Pentax scope mentioned in post #3? Are you now able to compare the Pentax and the Celestron?

I was about to ask the exact same question when I found this thread.

Lord Muck,

Did you buy the Pentax scope mentioned in post #3? Are you now able to compare the Pentax and the Celestron?

I was about to ask the exact same question when I found this thread.

Hi Inquisitor,
No I didn't buy the Pentax scope.
Ive decide to save up and buy the Swarovski ATX - STX 95 scope instead. As it appears to be the Dog Boll***s, and best of the best,
and then my Dad can use the Celestron 80ED scope :smoke:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back