• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (2 Viewers)

caspians just sublime - a species I have yet to see, they look perfectly balanced on paper here. The lappies are ever so more than just a little bit special indeed - a superb composition and a hugely powerful graphic quality - I'm sure Robert Gillmore himself would love to have done this in linocut. (I know I'd have been pleased to have done this in any medium)

Should I go to the off License then?;)
Not that you need a reason ;) but of course you should; get me a couple af lagers while you're at it! B :)

Very noble terns - perfect (I imagine) but this lapwing piece is way up there and off the scale; one of your very, very best and stemming from such strong drawing with a very obvious need to make this image. Superb!!

Not that you need a reason ;) but of course you should; get me a couple af lagers while you're at it! B :)

Very noble terns - perfect (I imagine) but this lapwing piece is way up there and off the scale; one of your very, very best and stemming from such strong drawing with a very obvious need to make this image. Superb!!

Off to the shop for catfood any how, will grab you a couple of Tenants Tim...

Bottle of Buckfast for Nick...

Glad you both like the painting, thanks for the kind words...

beautiful lapwing painting, simply done and the size must really give it presence has an oriental quality to it...and the color tones really are unique...

First of all a Caspian Tern from yesterday. This is a bird I really struggle with on the deck, hard to get that gargantuan bill right in relation to the rest of the bird, it looks like it should be heavy enough to stop the poor sod taking off, yet these birds hold it rather high generally.(They even manage to look rather gracefull in the process)
Anyhow, I digress...

what a great flying Caspian: looks truly like the big but elegant bird it is

Caspian Terns - what creatures! These sketches blow me away and look spot on. I shouldn't compare my stuff to others but the a sketch of one in my Morroco thread compares favourably to these, which can't be a bad thing!
Flight pose is damn near perfect, too.

We need to let Nick D loose on these beasties, I'm sure he's straining at the leash!

Russ

Spring Migrants

Been a bit lazy with posting, suffice to say been birding a lot on my days off and have enjoyed returning migrants hugely, the floodgates are now open here. Arctic Terns aplenty, some biro sketches here from Sandhamn, along with Ringed Plover...

Attachments

• Arctic Tern 1.jpg
    Arctic Tern 1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Arctic Tern 2.jpg
    Arctic Tern 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Ringed Plover.jpg
    Ringed Plover.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 42
Migrant passerines here, Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler and Spotted Flycatcher....

Attachments

• Lesser Throat.jpg
    Lesser Throat.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Garden Warbler.jpg
    Garden Warbler.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 43
  • Whitethroat.jpg
    Whitethroat.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Willow Warblers.jpg
    Willow Warblers.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Spot Fly.jpg
    Spot Fly.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 54
Spent a couple of days in a hide photographing Thrush Nightingale, some sketches here. Got some great photos to, which are on the blog, along with accounts of the past 10 days birding. Also a Bluethroat, a crackerjack male seen at Landsort...

Attachments

• Thrush Gale 3.jpg
    Thrush Gale 3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Thrush Gale 2.jpg
    Thrush Gale 2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Thrush Gale 1.jpg
    Thrush Gale 1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Bluethroat.jpg
    Bluethroat.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 51
Flycatcher been the big feature of the past week, have seen four species! Pied Flycather males here...

Attachments

• Pied Fly 2.jpg
    Pied Fly 2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Ped Fly Close up.jpg
    Ped Fly Close up.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 52
  • Pied Fly biro.jpg
    Pied Fly biro.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 46
Collared Flycatcher, a quite brilliant bird. I have managed to see 4 males in the past week, seems to be on the increase here in spring, perhaps expanding it's range. Also had a male Red Breasted Flycatcher on Landsort, but all too briefly and didn't get a sketch...

Attachments

• Collar fly 3.jpg
    Collar fly 3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Collar Fly 2.jpg
    Collar Fly 2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 51
  • Colar Fly 1.jpg
    Colar Fly 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 48
Almost there, Wheatear and Yellowhammer, done with a very fine, scratchy felt tip pen.

And thats the lot. Off to Edinborough later today for best mates stag party, something I am looking forward to and dreading simultaneously..

Attachments

• wheatear 1.jpg
    wheatear 1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Wheatear 2.jpg
    Wheatear 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Yellowhammer.jpg
    Yellowhammer.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 51
somehow missed the caspian terns, and having just done them myself for the first time, I'm so amazed at yours, the beak is perfect and how you manage that is way beyond me right, now.9 (in fact that part of every sketch is a miracle, each one fitting in not stuck on like mine)

thing is, every sketch you do has such precision, describing the bird, the attitude and just that one moment so richly, makes me want to break my pencils and take up knitting sometimes.....:cat:

in this batch I completely fell in love with the flycatchers...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back