• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

You turn your back for a couple of days and all this great stuff turns up!

Wendy I love those lappys, simply and elegantly described. Alan, that spar is haunting me, it's vaguely uncomfortable in an almost cute way, if that makes sense! Tim your fieldwork is inspirational as always. Dave B as you know I'm a digital retoucher so I enjoy seeing 'light sabre' work and your eagle is a fab example of what's possible.

Sorry if I've missed anyone, I've been a bit distracted over the loss of one of our much loved guinea pigs lately.

Woody

Did do some sketches in the field - or should I say on the estuary. They were very useful to do but really not worth posting. I was working thr' the scope which is really difficult. Any tips?
Anyway did some studies from those and photos.

Attachments

• gulls.jpg
    gulls.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 142
Did do some sketches in the field - or should I say on the estuary. They were very useful to do but really not worth posting. I was working thr' the scope which is really difficult. Any tips?

Best tip I can give for what its worth is get comfortable! I use an angled
Leica apo 77 and sit if i can. I position the sketch pad below the eye
piece so that the distance from looking through the eye piece to the pad is
minimal, you just need small sideway's glances keep your eye flashing back
and forth alot instead of looking too long through the scope.
you can do that when you need to start getting more details in, but
most times i don't get that far.just keep going you will get better and you will
figure out a method that works for you.

best tip I can give is keep on doing them! Bottom right gull is SUPERB, beautiful colours and tone, I'm very impressed indeed.

These are beautiful in their own right, Wendy - and will make a wonderful contrbution to your larger landscape works. Love to see you start to tie the two together (Not asking much am I?)

Spent the evening painting some studies of a swan seen down by our river a couple of evenings ago - used photos but did sketch on the spot as well. I hope to do a landscape painting and put the swan in.
This posting should be a great technical achievement for me if it works - for the first time I have done a page of small paintings and posted them separately - I know most of you do this sort of stuff with your eyes closed but this has been one of my greatest challanges yet - However I have to admit that I did have a technical adviser in the form of a daughter to help me ;)

Attachments

• SWAN1.jpg
    SWAN1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 122
  • SWAN2.jpg
    SWAN2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 112
  • SWAN3.jpg
    SWAN3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 114
  • SWAN4.jpg
    SWAN4.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 121
These are beautiful in their own right, Wendy - and will make a wonderful contrbution to your larger landscape works. Love to see you start to tie the two together (Not asking much am I?)

Yes this is what I am hoping to do Tim. One reason for working on the birds is to get to a stage when I am confident enough to use them in a picture and they won't look out of place or wrong - just love being out there as well.

Best tip I can give for what its worth is get comfortable! I use an angled
Leica apo 77 and sit if i can. I position the sketch pad below the eye
piece so that the distance from looking through the eye piece to the pad is
minimal, you just need small sideway's glances keep your eye flashing back
and forth alot instead of looking too long through the scope.
you can do that when you need to start getting more details in, but
most times i don't get that far.just keep going you will get better and you will
figure out a method that works for you.

Thanks for that Andy I think that is what I am doing - but standing up. Also I find a largish sketch book easier than a small one - can'y really put into words why.

I'm learning a lot from your work, Wendy. It's great to see an accomplished landscape artist tackling wildlife, as the approach is different. I get the feeling that you treat the birds as miniature lansdscapes, which is a very exciting way of looking at them. Instead of them being painstaking copies of what we expect to see, you're showing what we do see, regardless of what is expected. Keep it up!

superb. Really great stuff here. As pointed out the bottom right hand bird is a gem and could only be captured in this manner in the field. Very well done and keep it up!

The first and fourth swans are my favorites. The lighting, the form, all very nice. I like what Nick said; I think he is spot on.

So much atmosphere in that first pose, I'm a great admirer of your approach to watercolours, great stuff.

Inspired by all the fabuous field sketching that's been going on lately, I dug out some pencils this morning and headed down to the mudflats. First time in a long time doing actual in-the-field stuff, so I didn't expect any masterpieces, but you have to start somewhere!

Before anyone says it, yes, the Curlew's bill is a teensy bit on the long side, but birds over here are much longer-billed than in Europe, so it isn't that far out!

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• sketch1 Bagan Belat.jpg
    sketch1 Bagan Belat.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 127
  • sketch2 Bagan Belat.jpg
    sketch2 Bagan Belat.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 130
Inspired by all the fabuous field sketching that's been going on lately, I dug out some pencils this morning and headed down to the mudflats. First time in a long time doing actual in-the-field stuff, so I didn't expect any masterpieces, but you have to start somewhere!

Before anyone says it, yes, the Curlew's bill is a teensy bit on the long side, but birds over here are much longer-billed than in Europe, so it isn't that far out!

Cheers

Dave

Shorter bill ,Longer bill who Care's !!! I love it , really captured this nicely when they come across small crabs like this and they're manovering it round
in thier bill like that really good balance in both the birds.

Like the gate of the Heron too and I never put much in the way of
plants observed from location. Nice touch.

You should be pleased with what you have produced.

Really nice- interested in that little bit of landscape you've got going there too.
I get tied up in knots with all the feather patterns especially on waders like curlews- probably why they are in the distance usually in my paintings!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back