• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my goldfinches have been driven away! (1 Viewer)

Okiedust

I'm located in a wooded area in N.E.Oklahoma USA. I recently put up a thistle feeder and within the week I had a small group of male and female goldfinches feeding on a regular basis. Then came the grayish colored finches which began driving the goldfinches from the feeder. Now in the last week I have not seen a single goldfinch, just gray ones resembling the color of a common sparrow. What can I do to get the goldfinches to come back?
LarryD

The House finches seem to like the Kaytee "waste free" bird mix, while the goldfinch remain faithful to the thistle at my feeder. Perhaps, you could provide another choice that would attract the other finches and/or sparrows.

I don't know if this is any help at all but here goes. We routinely feed mixed seed (millet, etc) peanuts, sunflower kernel and Nyger seed (from Teasels) in feeders (also loose seed and water on a bird-table). The Goldfinches go absolutely beserk for the Nyger seed. I have taken part in out National Garden Birdwatch scheme for quite a number of years now and so I can be definite about the records for the variety of (British) garden birds that we get. We have had Goldfinches in our (VERY!!) small garden every day for nearly two years now, once having at least 50 which was a charm indeed! There is also one theory that Goldfinches are attracted to a bright yellow colour so we invested in a tall feeder with bright yellow metal (supposedly squirrel-proof) ends with perches up its length and holes specifically for the finch type of beak. Other finches do land on the perches but thus far we have only seen Goldfinches feeding from it. Having said that, they also appear to like the sunflower kernels! A gutsy lot ... Good luck Larry.

Thanks for the welcome to the BirdForum and the tips you have given me. I will give an update if my Goldfinches come back.
Thanks,
LarryD

Could one reason for deserting the feeders be the availability of natural food, which I imagine varies dependent on weather conditions etc?

we have had a feeder out with nyjar seed in it for 2 years and nothing apart from goldfiches has ever fed from it so i would try a feeder a short distance away with just the nyjar seed in it , you might need a new feeder as this seed is very small a does not work in most feede:t:rs

just as an addendum to my previous post, this is the sort of Nyger feeder that a lot of seed merchants are selling specifically for Goldies/finches ... well patronised!

Last edited:
we have had a feeder out with nyjar seed in it for 2 years and nothing apart from goldfiches has ever fed from it so i would try a feeder a short distance away with just the nyjar seed in it , you might need a new feeder as this seed is very small a does not work in most feede:t:rs

I have a mixed seed feeder which is very successful with greenfinches, house sparows great tits etc on it. I have also had up for about 4 months a niger seed feeder in the hope of getting some Goldfinches but not a sign yet.

Any tips?

I have a mixed seed feeder which is very successful with greenfinches, house sparows great tits etc on it. I have also had up for about 4 months a niger seed feeder in the hope of getting some Goldfinches but not a sign yet.

Any tips?

Patience!
It took quite a time for the Goldies to find our feeder. We have peanuts, sunflower kernels, mixed small seed and Nyger in a variety of feeders and then mixed seed and lots of water around. We are in the countryside and next to a long Roman Road which acts as a good long line of cover for most of the birds. Also, if you are getting sparrow and other finches then these feeding should attract others!
Keep the faith!
Roy

Patience!
It took quite a time for the Goldies to find our feeder. We have peanuts, sunflower kernels, mixed small seed and Nyger in a variety of feeders and then mixed seed and lots of water around. We are in the countryside and next to a long Roman Road which acts as a good long line of cover for most of the birds. Also, if you are getting sparrow and other finches then these feeding should attract others!
Keep the faith!
Roy

Will do thanks for the encouragement

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back