• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phoenix area, Arizona, USA (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

I spent some time today west of Phoenix birding from the car. I managed to find the Glaucous-winged Gull that has been in the area and added a few to my meager life list.
I have been practising my ID skills, which are improving slowly, but have a few that I would like confirmation on.

I think the first and second (if I attached them in the right order) is a Northern Harrier, I am stumped by number 4, and can't tell whether 3 and 5 are the same!!

Hopelessly thankful for assistance...

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpg
    Unknown-1.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Unknown-2.jpg
    Unknown-2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Unknown-3.jpg
    Unknown-3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Unknown-4.jpg
    Unknown-4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Unknown-5.jpg
    Unknown-5.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 96
I agree with all the ID's except #3. It is not a Vesper Sparrow like #5 - note the unstreaked underparts. It looks like a Spizella to me, and I'm leaning towards Brewer's Sparrow.

Thanks - I can see that now that you have pointed it out. I still have a lot to learn about sparrow ID.

I agree with all the ID's except #3. It is not a Vesper Sparrow like #5 - note the unstreaked underparts. It looks like a Spizella to me, and I'm leaning towards Brewer's Sparrow.

Agreed, Brewer's it is. I didn't look at it properly before but just glanced at the head & moved on. Glad someone else came along to set things straight.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back