• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Invasive websites (1 Viewer)

ehrodz

I went to a State Medical Association web-site to find a doctor and later found that the web-site had installed itself in my toolbar as a favorite. How on earth does this happen and how can it be prevented? I doubt that such a websites can do more harm other than stealth invasion but I can imagine the harm that a website with evil intent can do.

I have a PC with Windows and IE, a hard and soft firewall, free AVG 2013, Malwarebytes and IE tracking protection. You would think that even a hacking Houdini would have trouble getting past that. Thanks.

The important things you missed out are your versions of Windows and IE. Win XP and old IE versions offer litle protection. Win7 and newer versions should always make such changes optional, if set up correctly.
Personally I'd switch to a different browser anyway. Chrome is my fave at the moment.

The important things you missed out are your versions of Windows and IE. Win XP and old IE versions offer litle protection. Win7 and newer versions should always make such changes optional, if set up correctly.
Personally I'd switch to a different browser anyway. Chrome is my fave at the moment.

GraemeS,

Thanks for your reply. My PC has Windows 7 and IE9. Are you saying that Chrome would have prevented the invasion I noted?

Firefox browser with the add ons "Adblock Plus and NoScript" should handle most if not all of those annoying buggers.

phil

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back