• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue/Great tits (1 Viewer)

Great pics Neil, never seen so many LT Tits on a feeder!

We've had a great breeding year in our garden too - Blue and Great tits especially. There's been at least 10 juvenile blue tits probably more, and around 6 juvenile Great tits too. Also had a Nuthatch visit, I presume it's a juvenile - it's a very uncolourful and scraggy looking bird anyway.

It seems to have been a generally good year for tits them - in the local woods there was a Tit flock of Great, Blue and LT at least 100 strong, most were LT and Blue. The vast majority were juvenile birds. Can't remember seeing this many, not this early in the year anyway.

The Blackbirds have had their nests plundered by the Magpies for the 2nd consecutive year though sadly. Speaking of which there's been young Magpies everywhere the past few weeks.

Last edited:
bert said:
It's not been a good year this part of the world, have only seen 4 all season.
all the replys seem to suggest they are in the woodland, due to good caterpillar
year and thats what they need to feed thier young on. so gardens come 2nd best, so good luck to them. hope they are back in winter!
bert.
I'm with you on that one Bert. The blues have only been occasional visitors to the garden, although I have seen Greats more or less regularly.

Out and about I seem to see them everywhere. However in the last few days I've more and more sightings in the garden and have heard LT's around as well.

Hi Ian,

Reading through your post about Middle Spotted Woodpecker reports - don't worry, I'll not be calling the RSPB, but I've got two daily at my feeders, plus about four Great Spots. But then this is Lithuania and not quite so unexpected!!! That said, away from garden I almost never see them!

Back to the Blue and Great Tits, it's been a good season and since the majority of young birds, especially females, migrate out in the autumn, maybe 'my' birds will be down on your birdtable sometime soon!

I had Blue Tits nesting in our garden, all fledglings (about 8) survived and come to the bird table every day. The parents come too and so do other Blue Tits. Also about 4 or 5 Great Tits, 2 or 3 Long-Tailed Tits and a few Coal Tits are around. CT's and GT's also frequent the feeders.
It was weird because all but a few of the Tits disappeared, cos we were getting loads at a time. Now i see 4 or 5 tits at the most at one time. Does anyone know why this is? Predation?

Hi Helen, Thanks for the link, missed your thread have been in Madeira for the past fortnight. But the same observations as you, I must have around fifteen to twenty of both Blue and Great tits all twittering around the trees and shrubs. Two weekends to Halton reunion will keep my eyes peeled for those Chiltern Kites.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back