• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 picture came out black in TV mode (1 Viewer)

bleep

Hi all! Another question. I was using AV mode to take pictures of a swallow flying in and out of her nest and she was just too fast so I switched to TV mode and the pictures came out black. I had the EV set at -1/3 but my thumb accidentally switched it the + side between pictures. I'll put both pictures and details and hopefully someone can tell me if my settings are completely off. Thanks!
The AV pictures:
F-stop: f/7.1
Exposure time: 1/20 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-400
Exposure bias: -0.3 step
Focal length: 57mm
Max aperture: 4.65625
Metering mode: center weighted average

The TV mode
F-stop: f/5
Exposure time: 1/640 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-200
Exposure bias: +0.3 step
Focal length: 80mm
Max aperture: 4.65625
Metering mode: center weighted average

Attachments

• IMG_20140605_103328.jpg
    IMG_20140605_103328.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20140605_103520.jpg
    IMG_20140605_103520.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 36
Comparing the settings you have underexposed by nearly 5 stops on TV mode - even though the aperture is wider you have used a lower ISO and dropped from1/20th to 1/640th of a second.

I'm gonna need a primer on using TV mode. I'll have to search the web for lessons. I'm a beginning amateur photographer who only used an iPhone. But I'll get the hang of this!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back