• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Takahashi FS60 (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Anyone have using this small scope for visual birding? I think that it have a fluorite doublet..., how compared to others 60-65mm spotters?
Regards,
Wachi

Hi,

it's quite fast for a doublet at f5.9 (like spotters) and mainly targeted at imagers. While the CB variant comes with a shorter tube that will work with a 2" diagonal in a pinch, field curvature is going to be pronounced with real wide angle 2" EPs like a Nagler 31 at 11x and the flattener offered by Tak is not going to work for visual.

On the other hand it's going to be sharp up to 120x or maybe a bit higher for planets or splitting doubles but for daylight observation the small exit pupil will not be great.

Here's a review.
http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/TakFS60C.htm

But on the other hand it's heavy (1kg for the scope doesn't sound much but remember, you need a diagonal and EP), a lot less rugged than a spotter and certainly not waterproof.

So if you want to get one for astro use anyways, you can certainly use it for birding close to the car....

PS: for visual astro observation I would try to get a used FC60... at f8. Unfortunately not very common.

Joachim

Hi,

first of all, unlike for example the extender, it is not listed for visual use.

Also getting a 2" diagonal (where you would want a flattener mostly) to work with even the shorter CB version is a tight fit and needs funny adapters (or a replacement focuser). I think you won't come to focus with the flattener.

Joachim

thanks for the information I have understood that there is an accessory called module CQ 1.7X that acts as a barlow on the one hand and as a field planter on the other, without being either a thing or another ...
The tube would be a FS-60C-CSV ..
I think there is another configuration called CB.
Anyone know what each setting is for ???
C / CSV / CB ??
Thanks
Regards,
Wachi

Hi,

ok here we go... the FS-60C is the older version which had backfocus problems with 2" visual train or binoviewers. The shorter tube CSV is supposed to fix this - you unscrew the objective cell and the focusser from the regular tube and install both on the CSV tube - no collimation needed according to Tak.

The CQ module is an 1.7x extender/flattener which goes between the tube and the objective cell and converts the FS-60C into an FS-60Q which is an f10 flatfield scope. That should also work with a 2" visual train but of course the true field is a bit narrower than the fast FS-60C. On the other hand the color correction will be a lot better. This is a worthy contender visually if an FC-60 is not available plus you have the option to remove the CQ module for astro widefield imaging.

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/TakFS60Q.htm

Joachim

Thanks for your kind reply !!
Then the shorter tube CSV configuration could be used with erector prism 2 "at 45º, with eyepiece of 2" wide field and good magnification as spotting scope of quality and near the car ?? plus small refractor for casual astro moments?
Thank you for the link..
best regards
Wachi

Hi,

yes, you can use a 45 deg correct image prism for daylight use, if you want to. Most are not good enough for high magnification under the stars, but for daylight and maybe up to 100x it should be ok.

Actually if you don't have to carry the scope for long, I would keep it in the Q config even during the day. first of all, an 8-24mm zoom like the Baader will then give you 25 to 75x and you can use a 30mm 82 deg EP for a super wide 20x view with 4 deg or 70/1000m tfov or 22mm or 24mm 82 deg for 27x or 25x and 2.7 deg / 47/1000m or 3.3 deg / 57/1000m tfov for scanning...

Also with the f10 flatfield design of the Q config, your wide field EPs will should have less problems with to field curvature due to the longer focal length and the slower focal ratio is kind to EPs - you don't need super expensive stuff like Nager, Ethos or the corresponding clones for a good view at f10.

Joachim

Hi,

first of all, unlike for example the extender, it is not listed for visual use.

Also getting a 2" diagonal (where you would want a flattener mostly) to work with even the shorter CB version is a tight fit and needs funny adapters (or a replacement focuser). I think you won't come to focus with the flattener.

Hello Joachim,

thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back