• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera trap delights (1 Viewer)

Very interesting. Badger gates are new to me... they're put in to allow badgers to "cross" stone fences I take it? Are they intended to keep other animals (which?) from passing through? I guess the sniffing is to see who's been by recently?

In this case the high wall was only rebuilt a few years ago. Previous to that it had crumbled low enough in some places that the badgers could get over it, so gates were put in those places allowing the badgers to go about their business as normal. It's also supposed to stop most dogs from coming through (the badgers are in a private garden) but other wildlife is free to use it!

And yes, they don't get many humans poking about that spot, so just smelling us. Just over the wall a lot of people pass by, so they'll catch the human scent quite regularly which is probably why they weren't too fussed.

Very interesting. Badger gates are new to me... they're put in to allow badgers to "cross" stone fences I take it? Are they intended to keep other animals (which?) from passing through? I guess the sniffing is to see who's been by recently?

Hi Gretchen, two nations separated by a common language - stone wall, wooden fence. For what its worth Tom Clancy uses the same expression in a UK context which is absolutely not on. I would be interested to know how it came into common use in the USA.

John

Thanks Laura! Was this just designed by you then? Or do others use them too?

Hi Gretchen, two nations separated by a common language - stone wall, wooden fence. For what its worth Tom Clancy uses the same expression in a UK context which is absolutely not on. I would be interested to know how it came into common use in the USA.

John

Mmm, well actually "stone wall" sounds much better to me, but I couldn't think of it at that moment. I think they exist in New England, but are not something I commonly see or discuss (in China or US) .... Perhaps also I think of fences as having "gates", whereas walls have ...?

Thanks Laura! Was this just designed by you then? Or do others use them too?

No no not my design! Badgers are well protected by law here so fancy badger gates aren't uncommon, though they're also used to stop badgers destroying things. For example if a new rabbit fence is put up crossing a well used badger path, the badgers will with rip through it, dig a hole under it or climb and squash it down, letting the rabbits through to. If a gate is put in the right place the badgers will happily just use that but rabbits can't open them.

One-way gates also get used to empty setts before being destroyed, so the badgers can get out but can't get back in

Walls have stiles... Though not 10 foot high ones!

some garden activity while I was away.

Mark

Attachments

• tfox1.jpg
    tfox1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 61
  • tmj1.jpg
    tmj1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 48
  • tc1.jpg
    tc1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 59
  • tc2.jpg
    tc2.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 64
And some more

Mark

Attachments

• tc3.jpg
    tc3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 59
  • tc4.jpg
    tc4.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 59
  • tc5.jpg
    tc5.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 56
  • tc6.jpg
    tc6.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 51
The last lot

Mark

Attachments

• tc7.jpg
    tc7.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 55
  • tc8.jpg
    tc8.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 54
  • tc9.jpg
    tc9.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 80
  • tc10.jpg
    tc10.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 64
You're getting some great action there Mark. Your pigeon and pheasant captures are better than mine with a camera!

D

A few more from the garden

Mark

Attachments

• tc11.jpg
    tc11.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 49
  • tc12.jpg
    tc12.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 50
  • tfox1.jpg
    tfox1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 44
  • tmj2.jpg
    tmj2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back