• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild Britian with Ray Mears - ITV1- New Series 3 - Frid 4/1/2013 1/10 8pm-8.30pm (1 Viewer)

I remember the last series had some nice footage though - will set my box to record this! Pretty much the only thing I ever watch on ITV.

Note that this is not on STV tonight, you'd need to switch to ITV1 for other regions if you want to watch it. I've no idea when it's due to be aired on STV.

Edit: just discovered that it's due on STV on 15 January.

Last edited:
Last series was good indeed! I hope this si the same. Its the one thing I have watched on ITV as well in the last 2 years .....I havewatched 1-2 other things thats it.

Nice footage of Otters, Minke Whale and WTS Eagles but as always with ITV once you have taken out the ad breaks a scheduled 30 minute programme isnt much more than 20 minutes of action.

A good programme tonight about Salisbury Plain. Lots of birds, Grey Partridge, Corn Bunting and not least, Great Bustard .

As I've said before I like Rays presentation style, it's never "look at me, I'm a presenter and know the names of lots of punk bands"...

I enjoyed the programme style, although if anything it's under produced and too crammed. Although for me, preferable than the endless 'slo-mo' cuts etc, etc, that's dominate the BBC's pretty picture style these days, which I find rather clichéd. Not that I dislike "pretty pictures" but you can have too much of a good thing.

I wish ITV would start producing programmes of the likes of 'Survival', which was a must see programme - way back when admittedly! It seems like ITV aren't really bothered about making a good nature programme, after all they're a commercial outfit and not obliged to.

I know I'm probably I'm in a minority but hey!

rant over :smoke:

A good programme tonight about Salisbury Plain. Lots of birds, Grey Partridge, Corn Bunting and not least, Great Bustard .

As I've said before I like Rays presentation style, it's never "look at me, I'm a presenter and know the names of lots of punk bands"...

I enjoyed the programme style, although if anything it's under produced and too crammed. Although for me, preferable than the endless 'slo-mo' cuts etc, etc, that's dominate the BBC's pretty picture style these days, which I find rather clichéd. Not that I dislike "pretty pictures" but you can have too much of a good thing.

I wish ITV would start producing programmes of the likes of 'Survival', which was a must see programme - way back when admittedly! It seems like ITV aren't really bothered about making a good nature programme, after all they're a commercial outfit and not obliged to.

I know I'm probably I'm in a minority but hey!

rant over :smoke:

Loved tonights programme about the Great Bustards, and to see one so close up was something esle - 20 kilo a bird is a hefty bundle of feathers. o:)

Fergus, the captive Great Bustard showed his true colours too by pecking the presenter, and calling in bird language to him. A star in the making. So funny! 3:)

Never really seen a Grey Partridge at all, and they are handsome birds o:)

As for the other parts of the programme, as short and sweet as it was, it was an interesting mixture of finding out rare species of Salisbury Plain, and that cannot be sniffed at. :t:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/wild-britain-with-ray-mears/series-3/episode-8

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:

I must say after watching Channel 4's Wild Things, the BBC even when they're coasting are still miles ahead of most channels when it comes to nature programmes.

However, Mears' programmes have been of a consistent high quality for many years and transferred reasonably well to commercial TV, despite being much shorter than his earlier BBC series, maybe he gets some autonomy and control over the content of them? Mears presented Survival a year or two back when it made a comeback.

I've not seen this current series unfortunately. STV decided to air it on a different date from everywhere else and I've not had a chance to see it.

The channel Eden I used to think just showed old BBC programmes, but I'm pretty sure it's got some original programming and what I've seen is very high quality and a definite challenger to the BBC.

Brilliant series. It is short but cuts out a lot of the unnecessary banter. I have to agree and he does not try to act the whole look at me I know the names of all the punk bands as Kentbloke says! I get the feeling Packham tries to rediscover his youth too much on SW.

I love the fact that this series covered the Dales, Isle of Wight and Salisbury Plains. I love Salisbury even though I have only been there two times. Still it sticks in your mind. Corn Buntings appear to be very common around there. It was nice to see Corn Buntings and Yellowhammer in one screen.

Great programme last night

Superb Scottish wildlife and the Pine Martin... what a lovely creature to see in the daylight...as got so used to seeing them in the darkness on any wildlife film...like Winterwatch. ;)

Regards
Kathy
x

No, male Goldcrests also show an orange crest. You have to use the face pattern to ID them.

John

Thanks John :t:

I played the same bit over and over agoin and I could not quite see the face features too well....just the orange flash of the crown of the head

I know that the Firecrest has a more featured face than the Goldcrest. At least that is a good way to tell Goldcrest and Firecrest apart apart.

Regards
Kathy
x

This series is very under-rated. I love huis trip to the much neglected Salisbury Plains. I never knew we had temperate rainforest in the UK.

This series is very under-rated. I love huis trip to the much neglected Salisbury Plains. I never knew we had temperate rainforest in the UK.

Sadly this is the last part of Ray's programme.

I have to say despite of the condensed progamme, there are always bits and pieces to pick up for interest. :t:
It is educational to see another persons presepective to what they view as wildlife in certain areas - Ray would have all the guidence required, but still the know how to put it across to us the viewer.

Okay Ray... is not Chris Packham, but he does like his subject close to his heart, and that is the main thing. :t:

Tonights programme: For example the best bits of the recent programme presented in the way towards the White Tailed Eagle in Mull to be in the thoughts of Ray's mind goes without saying - fantastic thinking! :t:
To have an insight into what White Tailed Eagles eat, and how much they are part of the foodchain in the area - is very interesting
To hear that white Tailed Eagles have caught Mink to feed their youngsters is amazing!

My view is to keep an open mind to all presenters as you you be indulged by subjects that you have never heard of and that is a good thing.

Everyone has their own way of explaining things as they see it, and it is all for the good.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I have to say I much prefer this programme to spring/autumn watch as I find the presenters really get on my wick big time. Why have three presenting is beyond me anyway.

Ray is the king :king:

I have to say I much prefer this programme to spring/autumn watch as I find the presenters really get on my wick big time. Why have three presenting is beyond me anyway.

Ray is the king :king:

Hi Punta

Ray does grow on you, and he loves his subject. He is gettting better about his wildlife subject to the day, and puts himself across well. :t:

I am sure that there will be more programmes on this series - my biggest wish is that the next programme is an hour long instead!

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back