• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly ID (1 Viewer)

auk67

Hope someone can help me with the ID of these Butterflies from Almaty, Kazahkstan. If someone have a suggestion for some literature about this region, than that would be nice as well.

Thx in Advance!

Albert

Attachments

• IMG_3772.jpg
    IMG_3772.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3783.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
If someone have a suggestion for some literature about this region, than that would be nice as well.

The two volume 'Butterflies of Asian Part of Russia' may cover many or all of the species as far south as Almaty (I can check when I get home), but given the even the standard version of this book costs over 600 euro, you may wish to find a cheaper alternative :-O

I have a boxed gold-embossed edition of the two volumes - it is by far the most expensive book I have, and given I have never travelled in the region covered, it is also the least useful ...but a stunning book.

Hope someone can help me with the ID of these Butterflies from Almaty, Kazahkstan. If someone have a suggestion for some literature about this region, than that would be nice as well.

Thx in Advance!

Albert

I think the Blue is Amanda's Blue (Agrodiaetus Amanda), and I do not think the Tortoiseshell is Yellow-legged, which is closer to Large Tortoiseshell in having just a single small dark mark in the centre of each lower wing. Given the large amount of dark in the centre of each lower wing, it seems closer to Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae), though with rather paler markings between the black marks on the leading edge of the upper wings than we are used to seeing in Europe.
However, I open to correction, as always....!!
best
David

David,

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Regarding the Blue, I doubt if this is Amanda's Blue, I think the wing pattern is quite differen (http://eol.org/data_objects/11370842), what do you think?

Thanks for the correction of the Toroiseshell!

Albert

yes, sorry, your blue does have some white marking on the underhind postdiscal area which I overlooked for some reason. Try Chapman's Blue (Agrodiaetus thersites) instead, though the basal markings on your hind wing are not very distinctive.....Just tossing around ideas here...thinking out loud!! I know both of these species from southern Europe and from Hungary, and they vary quite a lot....
Best
David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back