• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OM-D EM-1 (2 Viewers)

I have had 2 100-300mm lenses and both have developed the same problem
Sorry to hear that. Scary that you have those problems, I am knocking on wood that my 100-300 will keep on going.

Anyway, I only thought that the canon could be used in MF mode, so would be interested to hear anything contrary to that.

Niels

Sorry to hear that. Scary that you have those problems, I am knocking on wood that my 100-300 will keep on going.

Hi Niels, I'm glad yours is still going strong. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Anyway, I only thought that the canon could be used in MF mode, so would be interested to hear anything contrary to that.

Niels

Ah, you may well be right, Niels. The problem I keep having is finding either the body I like or the lens I like but they never match up, lol.

Hobbes

Hi Doux and others
I've only just come across this thread (I think I must have been half asleep recently!). Anyway, Doux, I was interested to hear your Panasonic 100-300mm is dying. I have had 2 100-300mm lenses and both have developed the same problem - dust inside the lens barrel, which ultimately effects the focusing system. Panasonic replaced the first one under warranty and are saying they won't replace this second lens (only 1 year old) because it's just over 2 years since the original purchase. Essentially, there seems to be some weakness in the lens barrel seals, which, in my experience, breakdown over time. Anyway, I am now looking to replace/upgrade my system.

The new Olympus looks very appealing, Ron. Am I right in thinking you could use a Canon 300mm f4 prime on it with an adapter? Would the AF still work?

Also, Doux, it's good to hear the Olympus 75-300mm m4/3 is better these days as I may well go for that. I cannot afford another Panasonic 100-300mm which only lasts 8 months.

Hobbes

I'm not too thrilled to learn of dying 100-300 lenses. I noticed dust inside mine very soon after I started using it, and I have kept it and my D3 in a ziploc freezer bag constantly ever since. Dust accumulation has slowed quite a bit, but it still sucks some in. I guess I have to join the ranks of those clamoring for an environmentally sealed 300ish prime 4/3 lens.

One possible difference: I make sure my 100-300 stay extended as much as possible so that there is no zooming just for the sake of doing it. I only zoom if I absolutely have to, otherwise the lens stays at max zoom for the duration of the shoot.

Niels

The new Olympus looks very appealing, Ron. Am I right in thinking you could use a Canon 300mm f4 prime on it with an adapter? Would the AF still work?
Hi Hobbes. As others have said the Canon 300mm should fit with an adapter but will only work with manual focusing. However, the E-M1 incorporates focus peaking, the viewfinder is big and bright and you can zoom in to aid focusing, so many people seem to get on well focusing manually. Personally I much prefer to let my Olympus lenses do the work for me!

Regarding using the 75-300 on your camera, bear in mind that the Olympus lens does not incorporate in-lens stabilization. That might be a problem if your Panasonic body does not have in-body stabilization.

Ron

Hi Hobbes. As others have said the Canon 300mm should fit with an adapter but will only work with manual focusing. However, the E-M1 incorporates focus peaking, the viewfinder is big and bright and you can zoom in to aid focusing, so many people seem to get on well focusing manually. Personally I much prefer to let my Olympus lenses do the work for me!

Regarding using the 75-300 on your camera, bear in mind that the Olympus lens does not incorporate in-lens stabilization. That might be a problem if your Panasonic body does not have in-body stabilization.

Ron

Hi Ron
Thanks for your reply. I guess if I'm looking for light weight, the new Canon D700 is a good compromise and will take the Canon 300mm f4 prime, if I want to go that route. It's just a shame to loose the 2x crop factor which is so handy in bird photography.

Regarding the Oly 75-300, I was more thinking I'd buy a m4/3 Olympus body and change brand completely (although I think the G3 is actually a superb little camera).

Lots to think about. I have emailed Panasonic in the hope that they will change their mind and, as a gesture of goodwill, replace my 100-300mm lens.

Jonathan, it sounds like you've done exactly the right thing in dealing with the dust inside the lens barrel. I'm sure it should be fine as long as the accumulation is halted.

Hobbes

Regarding the Oly 75-300, I was more thinking I'd buy a m4/3 Olympus body and change brand completely (although I think the G3 is actually a superb little camera).
I see the Panasonic GX7 incorporates in-built stabilization, so perhaps they will include it in their cheaper models in the future.

Ron

A few EM-1 Images

IMO it's great for static shots, lacking on C-AF compared to the E-5. Lens 300f2.8

Attachments

• 10683927003_1b65bae836_h.jpg
    10683927003_1b65bae836_h.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 341
  • 10640678956_302e1b34c8_h.jpg
    10640678956_302e1b34c8_h.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 321
  • 10621968063_4246803730_h.jpg
    10621968063_4246803730_h.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 10621729906_d31a1f4e17_h.jpg
    10621729906_d31a1f4e17_h.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 320
And related: how would the camera do for C_AF with a m4/3 lens (currently either the 75-300 or the pana 100-300)?

Niels

Beautiful images. That is a superb lens you have. How does it feel with the small E-M1 attached? Interesting to hear your comments about C-AF.

Ron

The camera lens combo feels fine as long as you use the grip. Without it, there is just not enough camera to hold. I often hand hold it so the lens mount feels strong even with an adapter.

I've already shot several thousand BIF images and without being able to autofocus between frames at 10fps is an issue. They give us this gift of 10fps which you really need to make sure you get that just right wing position but they put conditions on it's use. It's like having a Ferrari with a governor on it. At 6fps where it can focus between frames the EVF blackout issue makes it very difficult to keep a fast moving bird in the frame. It's hard enough to keep a bird in the frame at 10fps due to the slight inherit EVF lag. It's just not a good BIF camera I'm afraid. If you want images of birds against a solid blue sky you have a better chance but those get boring after you've shot a bunch :)

Last edited:
And related: how would the camera do for C_AF with a m4/3 lens (currently either the 75-300 or the pana 100-300)?

Niels

I had the 75-300 on the EM-5 but sold it so I can't tell you how it works on the EM-1. I was never impressed with that lens due to it's slow speed. The light that the lens need to shoot at the long end was the light in don't want to shoot in. On the EM-5 at lower light levels I found that it had problems focusing unless I zoomed out to give it a bigger aperture.

Last edited:
I had the 75-300 on the EM-5 but sold it so I can't tell you how it works on the EM-1. I was never impressed with that lens due to it's slow speed. The light that the lens need to shoot at the long end was the light in don't want to shoot in. On the EM-5 at lower light levels I found that it had problems focusing unless I zoomed out to give it a bigger aperture.

Thanks for the helpful comments on AF in the EM-1 and on the Oly 75-300. On many occasions when shooting BIF with the G3 and 100-300, the camera will not recognize the presence of a bird, and I have to first aim at and focus on some element of the landscape at an appropriate distance and then point at the bird. I have gotten used to this routine and can do it fairly quickly, but I often don't get a shot.

I am frequently out with other birders, many of whom have Canon 40D, 50D, or 60D with 100-400, and one with Canon 5DMkIII and 600 prime. For them, the routine is simply aim and shoot. I have not seen any of them miss a shot, and even their worst results are often better than the best I can achieve. So I don't think M4/3 is anywhere near competing with DSLR for BIF at this point in its development.

Thanks for the helpful comments on AF in the EM-1 and on the Oly 75-300. On many occasions when shooting BIF with the G3 and 100-300, the camera will not recognize the presence of a bird, and I have to first aim at and focus on some element of the landscape at an appropriate distance and then point at the bird. I have gotten used to this routine and can do it fairly quickly, but I often don't get a shot.

I am frequently out with other birders, many of whom have Canon 40D, 50D, or 60D with 100-400, and one with Canon 5DMkIII and 600 prime. For them, the routine is simply aim and shoot. I have not seen any of them miss a shot, and even their worst results are often better than the best I can achieve. So I don't think M4/3 is anywhere near competing with DSLR for BIF at this point in its development.

And guess what? I don't have all of Oly's mirrorless cameras but I do have three. None have C-AF+MF so when the camera can't detect a bird which happens on my EM-1/300f2.8 you can no longer just move the focus ring to bring it into focus. You now have to assign a button which no matter how close it is to your finger requires time. Time = lost shots.

I think the on sensor PDAF system just has a harder time at distance than the dedicated AF system in the E-5. I notice a lot more instances where the camera racks through the focus range before it figures out were the subject is. So, you see a bird approaching and you attempt to acquire a target that you can see as an out of focus blob in the EVF. The camera then racks through it's focus range.... bird is gone. Happens much too often.

A used 1DMkIV and 400f5.6 is looking better as a BIF rig...

I agree that BIF is not perfect w m4/3, but it is not hopeless either. I shoot with a pana GH2, and I never use cAF, but for BIF I use multiple focus points. I probably had a success rate below 1/10 on this shot, but swifts are never easy no matter your camera:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=474766

Niels

Swifts and swallows are very difficult even with the best equipment. Not saying you can't get a great BIF shot with m4/3's of specifically the EM-1. It's just not a good setup to consistently bring home the goods. The problem with the S-AF approach is you limit your chances at getting the money shot.

Hi Doux and others
I've only just come across this thread (I think I must have been half asleep recently!). Anyway, Doux, I was interested to hear your Panasonic 100-300mm is dying. I have had 2 100-300mm lenses and both have developed the same problem - dust inside the lens barrel, which ultimately effects the focusing system. Panasonic replaced the first one under warranty and are saying they won't replace this second lens (only 1 year old) because it's just over 2 years since the original purchase. Essentially, there seems to be some weakness in the lens barrel seals, which, in my experience, breakdown over time. Anyway, I am now looking to replace/upgrade my system.

Also, Doux, it's good to hear the Olympus 75-300mm m4/3 is better these days as I may well go for that. I cannot afford another Panasonic 100-300mm which only lasts 8 months.

Hobbes

hello Hobbes

finally had time to reply to this, thanks for sharing your experience with the Lumix 100-300mm, too bad its this fragile considering that its great optics and fast focus.

i must admit considering your experience and the others and the fact that i live in dusty city that i was so lucky that it worked for me for about 2 years without problems then it started, actually troubles only started when i started to use the new EPL5 which made me think its a compatibility issue.

guess its time to change it, and go for the Olympus 75-300mm, hoping it will be more durable.

thanks again everyone.

hello Hobbes

finally had time to reply to this, thanks for sharing your experience with the Lumix 100-300mm, too bad its this fragile considering that its great optics and fast focus.

i must admit considering your experience and the others and the fact that i live in dusty city that i was so lucky that it worked for me for about 2 years without problems then it started, actually troubles only started when i started to use the new EPL5 which made me think its a compatibility issue.

guess its time to change it, and go for the Olympus 75-300mm, hoping it will be more durable.

thanks again everyone.

Hi Doux
Mmm…I am glad your 100-300 lasted 2 years and you still seem to be getting wonderful shots with it (I love today's little Chiffy ;)). I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do next in terms of camera gear. I like the look of the new Nikon D7100, with its potential to have the 2x crop factor. But, it really needs to be coupled with the new 80-400mm G lens, which is rather pricey and the combination is heavy. Ah well….lots to think about.
Take care
Hobbes

E-M1 has 37 focus points in PDAF mode, but none of these points is cross. If I remember corect, all points are horizontal rows.

E-3 and E-5 have "only" 11 focus points, but all are cross.

The consequence is clear - in some situations E-M1 will have dificulties to find the focus, especially in low light.

The focus speed is visible improved on E-M1, if the focus-point size in PDAF mode is increased.
I am wonder if you, Ned, tried to increase the size of the focus point in PDAF. Because in this case I noticed big improvment in focus speed (I tested with 50-200 SWD in low-light).

It was told to me by an Olympus guy that E-M1 is still better than E-5 on C-AF. I believe that this is true, but probably only in day light where the lack of missing cross-focus-points do not have an major impact.
E-M1 still focuses better than E5 with some lenses, even in low-light. By example 50mm F/2 is faster on E-M1 than on E-5.

6.5 fps in C-AF mode is not bad at all. Is better than D800, D7000 and many other cameras.
And 50 pictures buffer can be found only in PRO cameras like D4.

As the first PDAF camera of Olympus, I think they made a very good job. As E-5 owner, I consider this camera as upgrade. When the time will come I will not hesitate to buy it.

-

Last edited:
I've been using the EM-1 and the Olympus 75-300 II lens for just over a week.

It's a fabulous camera to use once you get it set up the way you want it. The viewfinder, in particular, is a joy to use, and there are lots of customisable buttons to which you can assign your favourite functions. The buffer clears very quickly, even after a burst of raw files.

However, the feature that really sold me on this camera was the improved focus tracking, and I have to say that from that point of view I have been disappointed. I usually end up just using single focus and hoping for the best.

Attached are a few pictures from today. The light was poor, which didn't help. The tufted duck was at ISO 640, the cormorant was at ISO 800 and the rest were at ISO 1600.

I'll persevere for a while to try and improve my BIF keeper rate, but for me at the moment, the jury is still out on this camera, especially given its hefty price tag.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Black-headed gull197.jpg
    Black-headed gull197.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 451
  • Bullfinch274.jpg
    Bullfinch274.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 487
  • Cormorant156.jpg
    Cormorant156.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Mute swan201.jpg
    Mute swan201.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 395
  • Tufted duck94.jpg
    Tufted duck94.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 410
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back